Layoffs in the NFL

klaatu

Fusionist
The National Football League is laying off 150 people.. because of the economy. Does anyone here think the NFL is losing money? Is attendance down? So why the hell are they laying people off? I think companies that are doing fine and not losing money should do the right thing by not using the economy as an excuse to irresponsibly lay people off, by doing so...they are prolonging the recession.

The National Football League is laying off 150 people.. because of the economy. Does anyone here think the NFL is losing money? Is attendance down? So why the hell are they laying people off? I think companies that are doing fine and not losing money should do the right thing by not using the economy as an excuse to irresponsibly lay people off, by doing so...they are prolonging the recession.

Most tickets at NFL games are sold to season ticket holders. Season tickets holders usually purchase their tickets in the spring so this years game don't really reflect the economic slowdown.

Next spring is when the NFL will truly feel the economic hit when teams ask fans to renew for the 2009 season.

No business is immune to economic slowdown. Microsoft is still profitable should they not lay anyone off in tough times (for example)?

Most tickets at NFL games are sold to season ticket holders. Season tickets holders usually purchase their tickets in the spring so this years game don't really reflect the economic slowdown.

Next spring is when the NFL will truly feel the economic hit when teams ask fans to renew for the 2009 season.

No business is immune to economic slowdown. Microsoft is still profitable should they not lay anyone off in tough times (for example)?

Not if they are not losing .... Companies that layoff people by speculating do more harm to the economy. Recessions on avg last about 14 months.... so if history prevails ... we could be out of the recession by next summer. Companies that are in good financial shape should do the Nation a favor by resisting the temptation to use tough times as an excuse to lay people off.

Not if they are not losing .... Companies that layoff people by speculating do more harm to the economy. Recessions on avg last about 14 months.... so if history prevails ... we could be out of the recession by next summer. Companies that are in good financial shape should do the Nation a favor by resisting the temptation to use tough times as an excuse to lay people off.

Have you seen the NFL's financial books?

Edit: I'm asking from a perspective of do you have insight into how the leagues is doing financially?

Last edited:
I hope they lay off Romeo Crennel, the Browns stink this year and Romeo needs to go. We love you Romeo, bye-bye.

GM was one of the NFL's biggest sponsors.

Everybody is hurting. This move is tied directly to their financials.

I dont know this as fact but I heard most of the layoffs are hitting NFL films ...

This is what is beiing reported :

"But with revenue estimated at $6.5 billion for this year, the N.F.L. has until now experienced nearly unfettered financial success. This week, The Sports Business Journal reported that the N.F.L. would fall $50 million short of revenue projections this year."

Gimmie a freaken break.... 50 million is a mere pittance when you are talking 6.5 billion....
I guess those 150 workers are going to save the NFL...going to balance the books so they meet their projections...

I dont know this as fact but I heard most of the layoffs are hitting NFL films ...

This is what is beiing reported :

"But with revenue estimated at $6.5 billion for this year, the N.F.L. has until now experienced nearly unfettered financial success. This week, The Sports Business Journal reported that the N.F.L. would fall $50 million short of revenue projections this year."

Gimmie a freaken break.... 50 million is a mere pittance when you are talking 6.5 billion....
I guess those 150 workers are going to save the NFL...going to balance the books so they meet their projections...

That's revenue you have no idea of their expenses.

GM was one of the NFL's biggest sponsors.

Everybody is hurting. This move is tied directly to their financials.

Again ... I believe companies that are making hey should think twice about laying people off and adding fuel to the fire ...
Do all you can to keep people earning a paycheck so we can get through this sooner rather than later ...

I hope they lay off Romeo Crennel, the Browns stink this year and Romeo needs to go. We love you Romeo, bye-bye.

Amen bro! He was too lazy to even throw the red flag out, but caught an adrenaline rush he couldn't control with 2 minutes left and just started calling time-outs left and right. Fire the Milk Dud!

Again ... I believe companies that are making hey should think twice about laying people off and adding fuel to the fire ...
Do all you can to keep people earning a paycheck so we can get through this sooner rather than later ...

I agree with all klaatu has put forth on this thread. Projectionism is a killer.....right now. It severely hurts people......right now.

Oh, and I would fire Dion Sanders from the NFL channel first. :)

I agree with that in principle, but I don't think the NFL is alone on that. That's really what this whole thing is in a nutshell; the market crashing because of the banks, and every other market sector over-reacting - trying to be cautious for the future, but only adding to the panic. The mechanics of this are completely irrational.

There are a lot of things I wish people would do right now; I wish they'd continue to spend - not in a crazy way, but in a way conducive to their income and usual habits; I wish people wouldn't bail from their 401K's and from the market; and I do wish that people would choose to buy American, if all else in their purchasing decision is roughly the same.

There are a lot of things I wish people would do right now; I wish they'd continue to spend - not in a crazy way, but in a way conducive to their income and usual habits; I wish people wouldn't bail from their 401K's and from the market; and I do wish that people would choose to buy American, if all else in their purchasing decision is roughly the same.

Had to buy groceries and ended up buying a few Christmas decorations.....$350 to Walmart for that effort so I am doing my part. Seriously, the only direct effect that we have felt from the economic downturn is that we're paying less for gas....and that is a positive. We have family that has been affected but not us.....yet.

Lay all of the NFL off for all I care.

They are probably making less advertising revenue and less people are buying shirts so there is less revenue sharing money that they use to pay people...

Had to buy groceries and ended up buying a few Christmas decorations.....$350 to Walmart for that effort so I am doing my part. Seriously, the only direct effect that we have felt from the economic downturn is that we're paying less for gas....and that is a positive. We have family that has been affected but not us.....yet.

I went into Sephora to get my friend a gift card, and spent over a hundred dollars on a bunch of Nars crap that I decided I had to have. Then I bought a gorgeous sweater in Cache, that I don't need, but can't wait to wear anyway.

That's exactly why I do most of my christmas shopping online. I spend a lot less on impulsive purchases for myself when I shop online.

350.00 on Christmas decorations though? You must really be lit up.

Back