Liberals Cause $7.5 million damage to Capitol Building

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
The state says the damage to the Capitol caused by protesters is estimated at $7.5 million to restore. According to the Department of Administration, the damage estimate breaks down to $500,000 to supervise removal of adhesive posters, $6 million to restore the interior, and $1 million to restore the exterior. The DOA secretary says the high damage estimate is because there are 43 different kinds of marble in the Capitol and the tape could stain the marble.
http://www.wkow.com/global/story.asp?s=14181648

"...$500,000 to supervise removal of adhesive posters..."

Talk about bloat. Half a million large just to watch someone pull down posters?

"....state says the damage to the Capitol caused by protesters is estimated at $7.5 million to restore. According to the Department of Administration, the damage estimate breaks down to $500,000 to supervise removal of adhesive posters, $6 million to restore the interior, and $1 million to restore the exterior. The DOA secretary says the high damage estimate is because there are 43 different kinds of marble in the Capitol and the tape could stain the marble."

Throughout all the reports, I don't remember any red flags about protesters laying waste to building infrastructure to the tune of $6 million. And like you said Christie, half a million to "supervise" removal of adhesive posters? $1 million to restore the "exterior"? I don't know who's giving the DOA in Wisconsin these estimates, but how much you want to bet that they'll hire "private" contractors to do the work? Sounds like the old "kick-back" system is at work here.

The state says the damage to the Capitol caused by protesters is estimated at $7.5 million to restore. According to the Department of Administration, the damage estimate breaks down to $500,000 to supervise removal of adhesive posters, $6 million to restore the interior, and $1 million to restore the exterior. The DOA secretary says the high damage estimate is because there are 43 different kinds of marble in the Capitol and the tape could stain the marble.

http://www.wkow.com/global/story.asp?s=14181648

Eh, maybe if they had used one type of marble and less of it they wouldn't have had this problem. Tax-payer's dollars to build the place and more tax-payer's dollars to deal with the material used.

I wonder if the governing body at the time of construction also complained about a lack of money for worker's wages. Any idea?

Eh, maybe if they had used one type of marble and less of it they wouldn't have had this problem. Tax-payer's dollars to build the place and more tax-payer's dollars to deal with the material used.

I wonder if the governing body at the time of construction also complained about a lack of money for worker's wages. Any idea?
Probably not, they were too busy paying back their contributors with massive "retirement" packages they knew the state couldn't afford but that they wouldn't be held accountable for later when they came due to pay any attention to what they were making at the time.

And the whole "the marble will be stained" is a bit much. Methinks they are exaggerating a bit.

Originally Posted by christiefan915
"...$500,000 to supervise removal of adhesive posters..."

Talk about bloat. Half a million large just to watch someone pull down posters?
thats because their union

And just how did you arrive at that conclusion, being that unions were not mentioned by the Wisconsin DOA?

"....state says the damage to the Capitol caused by protesters is estimated at $7.5 million to restore. According to the Department of Administration, the damage estimate breaks down to $500,000 to supervise removal of adhesive posters, $6 million to restore the interior, and $1 million to restore the exterior. The DOA secretary says the high damage estimate is because there are 43 different kinds of marble in the Capitol and the tape could stain the marble."

Throughout all the reports, I don't remember any red flags about protesters laying waste to building infrastructure to the tune of $6 million. And like you said Christie, half a million to "supervise" removal of adhesive posters? $1 million to restore the "exterior"? I don't know who's giving the DOA in Wisconsin these estimates, but how much you want to bet that they'll hire "private" contractors to do the work? Sounds like the old "kick-back" system is at work here.

Incredible irony here, Libby. You are whining about the mere potential for kickbacks to private industry, yet nary a peep about the obvious , long ter, ongoing conflict of interest when unions contribute to Democrat candidates who then turn around and negotiate their contracts. :)

I have no idea and don't see your point. State capitol buildings are typically ornate places, using materials from each county represented. We can argue all day long about if that is a legitimate use of public funds but you, being from the liberal perspective, now arguing for reduced spending on public projects? :confused:

And the whole "the marble will be stained" is a bit much. Methinks they are exaggerating a bit.

There apparently exists numerous different marble surfaces. Adhesive agents can stain and cleaning it is not easy-especially if you are talking about large expanses.

I think the bigger story however is the double standard extended by the media at large, towards these obviously bussed in astro-turfers and their angry destructive behavior, and the TEA Party protesters.

I have no idea and don't see your point. State capitol buildings are typically ornate places, using materials from each county represented. We can argue all day long about if that is a legitimate use of public funds but you, being from the liberal perspective, now arguing for reduced spending on public projects? :confused:

Yes, I am arguing for reduced spending on public projects such as ornate State Capitol Buildings. How does the public benefit?

I'm also against such things as when my town spent $60,000 on a topiary display which lasted about six months. Similar to this. http://hypro-diaphragm-pumps.com/Ho...tm_medium=CSE&utm_source=FIND&affId=the005-20

And then the town had the gall to sponsor a food drive and ask citizens to drop off non-perishables! I wonder how many non-perishables $60,000 could have bought.

And I'm also against the time one of the more impoverished areas of the city spent hundreds of thousands of dollars ripping up perfectly good sidewalks and street lamps and replaced them with something more chic while claiming they couldn't afford to keep the milk program going at their local elementary school.

They're the type of things that needs to be cut. Not welfare. Not food stamps. Not services for the poor.

Back