Lincoln Riley headed to USC

Thank you. Back to back national championships and seconds away from winning three in a row. If the playoffs existed back then we would have made them in subsequent years as well.

He's fixated on money instead of the real issues such as the massive NCAA sanctions and then the failures of our AD's in hiring Sark and Helton (as well as other issues at the school).

You are living in the past my friend, living in the past

Look at the champions since that time; Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, Alabama, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Texas, Florida, and since they inaugurated playoffs, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Clemson, Alabama.

Now tell me honestly, you don't see a definite trend here? Of the 130 schools playing Division I college football only seven schools have won the National Championship in the last sixteen years, only three since the playoff system was instituted? And now you think a private school in California is going to buck that trend? Notre Dame couldn't, and USC is going to cause they hired a new coach and the AD is committed to spending money? Goes beyond just spending money

Look at the champions since that time; Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, Alabama, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Texas, Florida, and since they inaugurated playoffs, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Clemson, Alabama.

Now tell me honestly, you don't see a definite trend here? Of the 130 schools playing Division I college football only seven schools have won the National Championship in the last sixteen years, only three since the playoff system was instituted? And now you think a private school in California is going to buck that trend? Notre Dame couldn't, and USC is going to cause they hired a new coach and the AD is committed to spending money? Goes beyond just spending money

There are definitely factors involved such as academic standards, how many academically challenged players will you give special admissions too etc. No question. But that's not a money thing. You've always said it's just a money thing.

Alabama struggled for years before Saban. Texas has more money than anyone and look at what they've done. Clemson was really nothing until they struck gold with Dabo and now people are talking about their dynasty being over. These things ebb and flow. Between the sanctions and internal mismanagement USC has been in the wilderness this past decade but there's a reason people call us a sleeping giant. You just saw it awakened today.

I’ll be rooting for Riley to be as successful at USC as the last few coaches have been. Sorry Cawacko.

You're list includes Saban x7, Meyer x3, and Sweeney x2.

In the 1940s, half of the championships were won by Leahy, and he didn't even get two coach for two years because of WWII.

Again, they have the bucks, and are willing to spend enough to keep the alumni and fans happy, but it is crossing the Rubicon to spend and go to the ends the way those select few State schools do and I don't believe a private school especially one with an academic reputation will go that far, Notre Dame hasn't and can't see USC doing it either

And don't get me wrong, nothing missing with that, in fact just the opposite is true, just as enjoyable beating your traditional rivals and competing for your Conference championship, all about that particular Saturday afternoon
LSU to hire Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly as next football coach, sources say
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2f24441a-5169-11ec-93ae-a7f86a2b07fd.html

There are definitely factors involved such as academic standards, how many academically challenged players will you give special admissions too etc. No question. But that's not a money thing. You've always said it's just a money thing.

Alabama struggled for years before Saban. Texas has more money than anyone and look at what they've done. Clemson was really nothing until they struck gold with Dabo and now people are talking about their dynasty being over. These things ebb and flow. Between the sanctions and internal mismanagement USC has been in the wilderness this past decade but there's a reason people call us a sleeping giant. You just saw it awakened today.

If it is all about money Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and MIT should be big football powerhouses.

If it is all about money Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and MIT should be big football powerhouses.

They actually were at the beginning of the 20th century until they decided to de-emphasize the sport. In the 1920's USC hired the legendary Howard Jones to be our coach and he won 4 national titles at USC between 1928 - 1939. As a player at Yale from 1905 - 1907 his teams went 28-0-2 and won three national titles.

They actually were at the beginning of the 20th century until they decided to de-emphasize the sport. In the 1920's USC hired the legendary Howard Jones to be our coach and he won 4 national titles at USC between 1928 - 1939. As a player at Yale from 1905 - 1907 his teams went 28-0-2 and won three national titles.

One recruit in my area has already withdrawn his commitment to OK and one who had withdrawn his commitment to USC after the coach was fired has changed his mind and decided to attend after hiring Riley.

Well, good luck to you, but from what little I know of USC, ain’t seeing it, when I hear that USC recruits are given new cars upon commitment I’ll believe you (https://totalfratmove.com/tfm/alabama-football-is-the-best-car-dealership-in-the-country/)

College football has changed a lot since the 70s. Not so much since the early 2000s.

Disagree, when they began the playoff system I believe in 2014 it changed, and is continuing to change, dramatically, all about money now, and what you are willing to do as a school to win

Not true, not all about having the money, but what you are willing to do when you do have the money, the Ivies refused to cross the bridge a long time ago

Notre Dame is now going to be in the hunt for a new coach. Hopefully it will be one who understands the QB position.

Which brings one to my point, college football is not what it was even at the beginning of this Century, is all about money now

“Brian Kelly's move from Notre Dame to LSU shows college football has a real problem on its hands”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dame-lsu-college-football-stunner/8803498002/

Pretty obvious Kelly is leaving cause he can do, rather has more “liberty” to do, what he wants at LSU than he ever could at Norte Dame, and to suddenly skip out on the kids he recruited while they still have a chance to make the playoffs for a national championship says it all

As the article says, imagine what Sabin is going to demand at his next contract negotiations, and he’ll get it without raising an eyebrow

Disagree, when they began the playoff system I believe in 2014 it changed, and is continuing to change, dramatically, all about money now, and what you are willing to do as a school to win

Every program that was dominant in 2014, was already dominant in 2010, except for Clemson.

Well, good luck to you, but from what little I know of USC, ain’t seeing it, when I hear that USC recruits are given new cars upon commitment I’ll believe you (https://totalfratmove.com/tfm/alabama-football-is-the-best-car-dealership-in-the-country/)

I'm not fully up on the whole N.I.L. thing but being in L.A. these kids will do alright on that front (but yes, cheating is breathing in the SEC and places like Oregon). I think you have been mistaking NCAA penalties and USC internal incompetence, which can be overcome/fixed, for structural issues that likely can't be fixed. USC has suffered this past decade from the former. There's a reason this hire has been dominating national discussion the last couple of days. If it were structural issues holding back the program that wouldn't be the case.

Which brings one to my point, college football is not what it was even at the beginning of this Century, is all about money now

“Brian Kelly's move from Notre Dame to LSU shows college football has a real problem on its hands”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dame-lsu-college-football-stunner/8803498002/

Pretty obvious Kelly is leaving cause he can do, rather has more “liberty” to do, what he wants at LSU than he ever could at Norte Dame, and to suddenly skip out on the kids he recruited while they still have a chance to make the playoffs for a national championship says it all

As the article says, imagine what Sabin is going to demand at his next contract negotiations, and he’ll get it without raising an eyebrow

Notre Dame needed to move on from Kelly. Golson, Kizer, and Wimbush all regressed under his coaching. Rees had a low ceiling, so it didn't matter what he did, and Book was the only one of the bunch to improve as a QB. Kelly then took Coan from Wisconsin, despite his middling performance there, likely because he didn't consider the younger guys ready to start.

LSU will not be able to compete for a championship with Kelly handicapping the essential position.

Back