Live by the gun, die by the gun?!!

Sniper Glorified for 150 Plus Kills in Iraq Shot Down at Shooting Range: Presence of

Sniper Glorified for 150 Plus Kills in Iraq Shot Down at Shooting Range: Presence of Guns Galore Didn't Save Him

Sniper rifles can be bought by civilians too?!!

When it comes to a timely reminder of how flawed the NRA and gun advocates argument that a gun offers a magical shield of self-defense is, the recent killing of a military sniper at a Texas gun range – glorified for his book detailing his alleged 150 "insurgent" kill total – offers it. Chris Kyle, the former Navy SEAL sniper and gun enthusiast hero, was unable to protect himself or his friend from an armed assailant, even though they were at a shooting range loaded with guns.

Although the circumstances of this incident may represent a tragically ironic mega-example of the gun lobby's flawed fantasy about the alleged omnipotent self-protection power of guns, it is only because of its mega-symbolic resonance to the drumbeat of gun worshippers that sets it apart.

After all, what the gun lobby doesn't tell you is that guns are relatively rarely used in self-defense by citizens – and it is not uncommon (as in the Trayvon Martin case) that they are used to kill innocent people out of pure gun owner paranoia.

The New York Daily News provides an account of the Kyle killing:

He lived by the gun, and he died by the gun.

The military’s most famous sniper — Chris Kyle, a Navy SEAL who claimed to have killed more than 150 insurgents from long distances in the Iraq war — was gunned down point-blank by a mentally unstable vet at a Texas shooting range Saturday.

Eddie Ray Routh is a suspect in the shooting and killing of former Navy SEAL Sniper Chris Kyle.

Kyle, 38, was visiting the Rough Creek Lodge range outside Fort Worth with friend Chad Littlefield when deranged vet Eddie Ray Routh, 25, fatally shot both men, police said.

Routh, a former Marine, fled and was later arrested at his home outside Dallas, where cops retrieved the semiautomatic handgun used to kill both men.

Kyle, a highly decorated Iraq veteran, wrote the best-selling book, “American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History.”

Let's parse this a bit more because the incident represents so many of the lethal tentacles of the gun lobby's grip on Congress and most state legislatures.

Let's start with the gun Kyle became famous for legally killing people with as a military sniper: the telescopic, finely calibrated sniper rifle. It is commonly sold in the United States as a .50 caliber and can – we are not making this up – be bought by almost any American who can buy a rifle in almost every state. There are fewer restrictions on purchasing a sniper rifle than on buying a handgun, which is to say it's a bit like buying food at a supermart.

I know because I conducted campaigns to prohibit the sale of .50 caliber rifles to civilians, in part because they can be used in assassinations (Kyle proved this point quite decisively), and in part because they can be used by terrorists to shoot down planes landing or taking off. With still winds, a bullet from a .50 caliber sniper rifle can travel on clear terrain up to a mile.

The NRA, according to Tom Dickinson of Rolling Stone, is now virtually fully control by the gun industry, In this respect, Dickinson speaks about the inventor of the .50 caliber sniper rifle:

Another board seat belongs to Ronnie Barrett, CEO of Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, whose company produces .50-caliber sniper rifles capable of piercing armor from nearly a mile away. Barrett's firm also sells scope-mounted ballistics computers that enable clueless civilians to hit targets like they were special-forces snipers.

Ronnie Barrett represents a gun industry that is pedaling high-tech military style weapons to the US public in the name of profit, not self-protection. Meanwhile, NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre is paid more than a million dollars a year in salary and bonuses to whip up the simmering paranoia of white male gun owners who see the nation's power being shifted to a multi-cultural society – which explains why the first black president has been used as a such a powerful vehicle for initiating runs on firearms, particularly assault weapons.

What white gun owners fear deep in their guts and pulsing like electrical shocks along their nerve system is that the white male is losing his grip on power. And the gun represents a psychological Excalibur to ward off these psychological threats.

No one knows better than Wayne LaPierre how to whip up hysteria in this pool of psychotic fear.

But no gun helped, as one BuzzFlash reader e-mailed us, "America's 'greatest' gun expert/sniper from being killed, who was unable to defend himself from an armed attacker." The armed attacker, who Kyle knew, used a semi-automatic handgun, which the NRA defends, as it does all firearms (including .50 caliber sniper rifles). A semi-automatic weapon can shoot off bullets at a much faster rate than the standard handgun, and this is a particularly dangerous feature on assault weapons, because large capacity magazines can be attached to them.

As the shooting deaths of Chris Kyle and his friend at a gun range well-stocked with firearms and guys with guns in their holsters evidences, we have a problem with a gun culture that is manic and defies common sense.

Next on the gun lobby's agenda is making silencers legal in every state. That's the goal of The American Silencer Association: "For the first time in the commercial silencer industry’s 103 year history, individual manufacturers, distributors, and dealers are formally banding together to collectively advocate for the silencer industry."

Enhanced gun laws are needed to be sure, but so is massive psychiatric intervention, not to mention reining in the gun industry. They are far from silent amidst a maelstrom of gunfire.

By MARK KARLIN

what a total bunch of hypocrite assholes you fucktards on the anti gun side are. you idiots are quite happy with millions of guns being around as long as they are in the hands of your beloved tyrannical government.
Why so sour? Because you lost the ability to defend your skewed gun nut stance by claiming that 'incidents' don't happen at gun ranges?

Sucks to be a gun nut now....doesn't it? Don't worry...nobody is taking your guns.

Sniper Glorified for 150 Plus Kills in Iraq Shot Down at Shooting Range: Presence of Guns Galore Didn't Save Him

Sniper rifles can be bought by civilians too?!!

When it comes to a timely reminder of how flawed the NRA and gun advocates argument that a gun offers a magical shield of self-defense is, the recent killing of a military sniper at a Texas gun range – glorified for his book detailing his alleged 150 "insurgent" kill total – offers it. Chris Kyle, the former Navy SEAL sniper and gun enthusiast hero, was unable to protect himself or his friend from an armed assailant, even though they were at a shooting range loaded with guns.

Although the circumstances of this incident may represent a tragically ironic mega-example of the gun lobby's flawed fantasy about the alleged omnipotent self-protection power of guns, it is only because of its mega-symbolic resonance to the drumbeat of gun worshippers that sets it apart.

After all, what the gun lobby doesn't tell you is that guns are relatively rarely used in self-defense by citizens – and it is not uncommon (as in the Trayvon Martin case) that they are used to kill innocent people out of pure gun owner paranoia.

The New York Daily News provides an account of the Kyle killing:

He lived by the gun, and he died by the gun.

The military’s most famous sniper — Chris Kyle, a Navy SEAL who claimed to have killed more than 150 insurgents from long distances in the Iraq war — was gunned down point-blank by a mentally unstable vet at a Texas shooting range Saturday.

Eddie Ray Routh is a suspect in the shooting and killing of former Navy SEAL Sniper Chris Kyle.

Kyle, 38, was visiting the Rough Creek Lodge range outside Fort Worth with friend Chad Littlefield when deranged vet Eddie Ray Routh, 25, fatally shot both men, police said.

Routh, a former Marine, fled and was later arrested at his home outside Dallas, where cops retrieved the semiautomatic handgun used to kill both men.

Kyle, a highly decorated Iraq veteran, wrote the best-selling book, “American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History.”

Let's parse this a bit more because the incident represents so many of the lethal tentacles of the gun lobby's grip on Congress and most state legislatures.

Let's start with the gun Kyle became famous for legally killing people with as a military sniper: the telescopic, finely calibrated sniper rifle. It is commonly sold in the United States as a .50 caliber and can – we are not making this up – be bought by almost any American who can buy a rifle in almost every state. There are fewer restrictions on purchasing a sniper rifle than on buying a handgun, which is to say it's a bit like buying food at a supermart.

I know because I conducted campaigns to prohibit the sale of .50 caliber rifles to civilians, in part because they can be used in assassinations (Kyle proved this point quite decisively), and in part because they can be used by terrorists to shoot down planes landing or taking off. With still winds, a bullet from a .50 caliber sniper rifle can travel on clear terrain up to a mile.

The NRA, according to Tom Dickinson of Rolling Stone, is now virtually fully control by the gun industry, In this respect, Dickinson speaks about the inventor of the .50 caliber sniper rifle:

Another board seat belongs to Ronnie Barrett, CEO of Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, whose company produces .50-caliber sniper rifles capable of piercing armor from nearly a mile away. Barrett's firm also sells scope-mounted ballistics computers that enable clueless civilians to hit targets like they were special-forces snipers.

Ronnie Barrett represents a gun industry that is pedaling high-tech military style weapons to the US public in the name of profit, not self-protection. Meanwhile, NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre is paid more than a million dollars a year in salary and bonuses to whip up the simmering paranoia of white male gun owners who see the nation's power being shifted to a multi-cultural society – which explains why the first black president has been used as a such a powerful vehicle for initiating runs on firearms, particularly assault weapons.

What white gun owners fear deep in their guts and pulsing like electrical shocks along their nerve system is that the white male is losing his grip on power. And the gun represents a psychological Excalibur to ward off these psychological threats.

No one knows better than Wayne LaPierre how to whip up hysteria in this pool of psychotic fear.

But no gun helped, as one BuzzFlash reader e-mailed us, "America's 'greatest' gun expert/sniper from being killed, who was unable to defend himself from an armed attacker." The armed attacker, who Kyle knew, used a semi-automatic handgun, which the NRA defends, as it does all firearms (including .50 caliber sniper rifles). A semi-automatic weapon can shoot off bullets at a much faster rate than the standard handgun, and this is a particularly dangerous feature on assault weapons, because large capacity magazines can be attached to them.

As the shooting deaths of Chris Kyle and his friend at a gun range well-stocked with firearms and guys with guns in their holsters evidences, we have a problem with a gun culture that is manic and defies common sense.

Next on the gun lobby's agenda is making silencers legal in every state. That's the goal of The American Silencer Association: "For the first time in the commercial silencer industry’s 103 year history, individual manufacturers, distributors, and dealers are formally banding together to collectively advocate for the silencer industry."

Enhanced gun laws are needed to be sure, but so is massive psychiatric intervention, not to mention reining in the gun industry. They are far from silent amidst a maelstrom of gunfire.

By MARK KARLIN
It's sad, ironic, and tragic all at the same time. But it must be noted that this gun nut thought the cure for PTSD is......LET'S GO SHOOTING!!!!
Amazing. Prob. better to leave the psych treatment to psychologists.

if you can't see that the left AND the right here in America talk out one side of their mouth while doing everything they can to limit freedom in this country, then you're just beyond help.

Beyond? Not looking for help, buddy. I am fine. no guns. No fear. No lies. No god. now what makes your government tyrannical? Just tell me please because I can think of tyrannical regimes and the US does not appear to have one.
Just occurred to me. Are you one of these 'mountain men' loonies we read about every so often. People who believe the whole world is after them? That is certainly how you come across.

Maybe, If thats the experience God has in store for me and my lovedones.

Oh great. Give your fate over to a non existent fantasy. Wow! That makes you ree-a-e-a-e-a-l smart. The pixies are coming supported by the leprachauns all waving magic knives to cut your throat. Quick hide. Wear garlic. Pray.
I have always thought of you as one of the more sensible Americans on this forum. You have let me down.

Why so sour? Because you lost the ability to defend your skewed gun nut stance by claiming that 'incidents' don't happen at gun ranges?

Sucks to be a gun nut now....doesn't it? Don't worry...nobody is taking your guns.
not even close, but in any other situation other than one involving your so called 'gun nut', you'd be pissed at the betrayal only, however, in this instance all you're doing is dancing in his blood gleefully.

Beyond? Not looking for help, buddy. I am fine. no guns. No fear. No lies. No god.
normal people call that 'ignorance'.

now what makes your government tyrannical? Just tell me please because I can think of tyrannical regimes and the US does not appear to have one.
we imprison people for decades for a victimless crime of possessing a weed. we have police officers that beat and kill innocent civilians with no accountability, arrest innocent civilians with no cause and no accountability, and are given extra rights and benefits merely because they enforce the will of that government. the executive of this country has determined that his reasoning skills alone fulfill the constitutional requirement of 'due process of law' before he can order his death by an unmanned drone. we have a congress that can mandate the population buy any product or service they determine 'necessary' and a court system that will cover it up with legalspeak by calling penalties 'taxes'. while you might find the boot on your face a comfort, many others do not.

normal people call that 'ignorance'.

we imprison people for decades for a victimless crime of possessing a weed. we have police officers that beat and kill innocent civilians with no accountability, arrest innocent civilians with no cause and no accountability, and are given extra rights and benefits merely because they enforce the will of that government. the executive of this country has determined that his reasoning skills alone fulfill the constitutional requirement of 'due process of law' before he can order his death by an unmanned drone. we have a congress that can mandate the population buy any product or service they determine 'necessary' and a court system that will cover it up with legalspeak by calling penalties 'taxes'. while you might find the boot on your face a comfort, many others do not.

You need to understand what tyranny means, what you describe doesnt change with your government and is common to many. It certainly does not amount to tyranny. Pol Pot was a tyrant. Stalin and Mao were tyrants.
Your society allows and supports the kiling of prisoners, the killing of innocent oeople, the arrest of drug users. You elect your representatives many of whom are racist gun toting right wing fools like you. But that is not tyranny. Go buy a dictionary and try to stop being bloody stupid - just for a few minutes.
Tryranny my arse! You're bloody mad.

Beyond? Not looking for help, buddy. I am fine. no guns. No fear. No lies. No god. now what makes your government tyrannical? Just tell me please because I can think of tyrannical regimes and the US does not appear to have one.
Just occurred to me. Are you one of these 'mountain men' loonies we read about every so often. People who believe the whole world is after them? That is certainly how you come across.

Apparently you feel that Freedom means doing exactly what ever Government you're living under tells you to do and that's why you choose to live in a gated communtiy (away from the unwashed masses - your words), under a Government that's corrupt and takes it's orders from China.

Like your friend ILA, I'm here to help with your latent homosexual fantasies. Watch this...BIG surprise at the end!

Since you're trying so hard to present homosexual erotica, it could be considered that you're not comfortable in your life style and are really a closeted hetrosexual.

this alone tells me that your opinion is worthless.

Are you saying I am wrong? Do you maintain that you have a greater intelligence than a worn out boot and that the people for whom you vote are not, in many cases, even more stupid?
I love right wing loonies like you. You are easy to take the piss out of, you have no idea of the rest of the world - not that that in itself is important, its importance lies in the fact that you are so bloody arrogant that you think people love you. We find that quite funny, and you think you have a right to march into foreign countries and kill the inhabitants because some imaginary comic book character told you it was right, but other people's comic book characters are wrong and evil.
We do have people like that. But by the time they are ten or eleven they grow out of it. Americans dont. Funny little people.

Are you saying I am wrong?
every damn time. for the life of me I can't figure out how it is that morons like you, darla, evince, and howey can't remember that I'm a Libertarian, but maybe it's not for me to figure out. Maybe you idiots are just stuck in the binary mode of life and can't see anything past left/right.

Do you maintain that you have a greater intelligence than a worn out boot and that the people for whom you vote are not, in many cases, even more stupid?
I maintain that I have a greater intelligence than you at the least. I am not stuck in left/right mode and only consider 3rd party or independent candidates that don't lockstep with their party line agenda.

Back