mccain not eleigible to be prez

They endorsed your boy.

I thought the article was pretty fair and if anything they mostly sided with McCain. Did you read it?

yes I read it. Like I said, it reads like gossipy trash. It leaves the impression that there is some doubt.

They are hacks.... and no, I do not care one bit that they endorsed him. It is equivalent to the White Supremicist trash endorsing Ron Paul.

Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in those gaps. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"

Anyone born inside the United States

Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe

Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.

Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national

Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year

Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21

Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)

A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S. "

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_citi.html

The Times should be ashamed. It took all of a minute to find the above.

Title 8 of the US code does not set the requirements for who is eligible to be president. The Constitution does.

Maybe you should send your information to the McCain campaign. You probably could have saved them some money on legal fees. From the article:

But given mounting interest, the campaign recently asked Theodore B. Olson, a former solicitor general now advising Mr. McCain, to prepare a detailed legal analysis. “I don’t have much doubt about it,” said Mr. Olson, who added, though, that he still needed to finish his research.

There is some doubt. His own counsel says so...

But given mounting interest, the campaign recently asked Theodore B. Olson, a former solicitor general now advising Mr. McCain, to prepare a detailed legal analysis. “I don’t have much doubt about it,” said Mr. Olson, who added, though, that he still needed to finish his research.

Since you are a republican let me explain. When someone says they "do not have much doubt about it" that implies that they do have some negligible amount of doubt.

He was born in a US territory. You don't have to be born specifically in a US state to be born in America. Otherwise people born in DC wouldn't be eligible either.

Why? I don't get it. Did you read the article?

Of course you don't get it. Moveon hasn't given you permission to think.

See the code above. It has been specified. The only way he is not a citizen is if you can somehow show that law is unconstitutional. Good luck with that. I don't even think Code Pink would do that to our men and women stationed overseas.

Of course you don't get it. Moveon hasn't given you permission to think.

See the code above. It has been specified. The only way he is not a citizen is if you can somehow show that law is unconstitutional. Good luck with that. I don't even think Code Pink would do that to our men and women stationed overseas.

Dumbass. The constitution sets the eligibility requirements for the office of the presidency. The US code has nothing to do with it. Citizenship isn't the relevant question anyway. You must be a "natural born citizen" to be eligible to be president. What it means to be a "natural born citizen" is an open question, which McCain's campaign acknowledges even if you don't.

Of course men and women stationed over seas that have children give birth to US citizens. Are the children "natural born citizens?" I don't know. Neither do you. Apparently, neither does McCain's campaign, although they don't have much doubt about it.

Title 8 of the US code does not set the requirements for who is eligible to be president. The Constitution does.

Maybe you should send your information to the McCain campaign. You probably could have saved them some money on legal fees. From the article:

Right... and the Constitution says what Dung?

"
Age and Citizenship requirements - US Constitution, Article II, Section 1

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

Term limit amendment - US Constitution, Amendment XXII, Section 1 – ratified February 27, 1951

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. "

You got it Dung.... it says natural born citizen.

Now Dung... What does Title 8 do?

You guessed it Dung... it defines WHO qualifies as a natural born citizen. It is the law. Unless you challenge the Constitutionality of the LAW, then you have no argument.

This thread is so funny. I love watching a couple of message board geeks who can never say the words " you know, I don't know", present themselves as scholars.

It's funny.

Dungheap-- surely you realise that politicians would have thought of this long before any of us here and certainly long before the NYT.

If it were a legal problem, the Republicans would already have kept McCain from running, and I assure you that the Democrats would likewise have been all over it. The fact that it hasn't been an issue shows that only retards like you think there is a legal problem.

This thread is so funny. I love watching a couple of message board geeks who can never say the words " you know, I don't know", present themselves as scholars.

It's funny.

Darla is probably the last person on Earth to criticise others for not being able to admit to being wrong.

Certainly you have a citation for that proposition. Right? Be sure to send it along to Ted Olson and the McCain campaign. You'll save them some cash on legal fees.

It really shows just how dumb our system is when all of the people who know everything are posting on message boards, and the dumbasses are writing legal briefs in Washington.

I mean, how stupid is that?

It really shows just how dumb our system is when all of the people who know everything are posting on message boards, and the dumbasses are writing legal briefs in Washington.

I mean, how stupid is that?

It shows how retarded you are that you think McCain wouldn't have been stopped sooner than the year of the election if he was uneligible.

Dumbass. The constitution sets the eligibility requirements for the office of the presidency. The US code has nothing to do with it. Citizenship isn't the relevant question anyway. You must be a "natural born citizen" to be eligible to be president. What it means to be a "natural born citizen" is an open question, which McCain's campaign acknowledges even if you don't.

Of course men and women stationed over seas that have children give birth to US citizens. Are the children "natural born citizens?" I don't know. Neither do you. Apparently, neither does McCain's campaign, although they don't have much doubt about it.

Dumbass..... yes, the Constitution says natural born citizen. Title 8 DEFINES who is a natural born citizen.... because the Constitution does not. Title 8 is how we define a natural born citizen. Unless, as I mentioned someone can successfully challenge the Constitutionality of the law.

Also, this isn't the first time that McCain has run for president-- so surely you think it would have come up during one of those elections, right?

Back