McCain suspending his presidential campaign

• Thread starter Thread starter Cancel3
  • Start date Start date
C

Cancel3

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/24/mccain-suspends-campaign-to-help-with-bailout/

John McCain announced that he will suspend his presidential campaign on Thursday to return to Washington to help with bailout negotiations. He urged his opponent Barack Obama to do the same.

The Arizona senator also asked the Presidential Debate Commission to postpone Friday’s scheduled debate with Obama so that he can work on the financial crisis bailout plan now on Capitol Hill.

“America this week faces an historic crisis in our financial system. We must pass legislation to address this crisis. If we do not, credit will dry up, with devastating consequences for our economy. People will no longer be able to buy homes and their life savings will be at stake. Businesses will not have enough money to pay their employees. If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted. We cannot allow this to happen,” McCain said.

McCain’s move suggests he’s serious about dealing with the bailout since he had negotiated strongly to make the first of the three debates between the candidates on foreign policy, McCain’s strong suit.

McCain has fallen in recent polls as a result of the economic crisis. The latest FOX News/Opinion Dynamics poll shows Obama has taken a 45-39 percent lead over McCain, in large part because of independents. A Washington Post poll also showed that most voters think Obama has a better approach to dealing with the economy than McCain.

McCain aides said that he did not think the Bush administration’s $700 billion bailout plan, being shepherded by Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson, adequately addresses the crisis at hand.

McCain announced his decision shortly after the White House said President Bush will deliver an address to the nation Wednesday night.

Here's my two cents. And when it comes to republicans, I'm usually never wrong.

1) McCain desparately wants a reason to cancel the debates. Any reason. He doesn't want to be wheeled out on stage in his wheel chair, and with his oxygen tank to be contrasted with Obama.

2) Palin's ABC interview with Gibson was a disaster. They've been hiding her from the press ever since. She's so not ready for prime time. Any reason to keep her away from any real press scrutiny is in McCain's vested interests.

1) McCain desparately wants a reason to cancel the debates. Any reason. He doesn't want to be wheeled out on stage in his wheel chair, and with his oxygen tank to be contrasted with Obama.

2) Palin's ABC interview with Gibson was a disaster. They've been hiding her from the press ever since. She's so not ready for prime time. Any reason to keep her away from any real press scrutiny is in McCain's vested interests.

Yeah, he’s lost the election, and they know it, as things stand today. So he is taking another one of his much lauded “gambles” by running back to DC and pretending that he is going to be instrumental in constructing the bill, which meanwhile, he isn’t going to be.
I feel almost as if, they have been looking at recent polls, and said, oh shit, we can’t cage THAT many voters off the rolls.

Yeah, he’s lost the election, and they know it, as things stand today. So he is taking another one of his much lauded “gambles” by running back to DC and pretending that he is going to be instrumental in constructing the bill, which meanwhile, he isn’t going to be.
I feel almost as if, they have been looking at recent polls, and said, oh shit, we can’t cage THAT many voters off the rolls.

Ha! That sounds right.

The Democrats are totally going to be blind sided by the scope of voter suppression and caging. Obama better win pretty big.

I predict you are wrong and the debates will occur fine.

ROFL. So McCain suspending his own campaign is going to keep Palin out of the spotlight more? Do you even think about the stuff you write?

So McCain, who hasn't voted in the Senate since March and after spending the past several days attacking Obama for not taking a stand notwithstanding Obama's sentiment that he was informed by Paulson and Bernake not to make the bailout a political football, suddenly has to get back to Washington to do important work on the bail out and is calling on Obama to do the same?

Screw him. McCain is flailing. He's sinking fast. There is no need for him to do anything other than vote on whatever bill the Democrats decided to put forward or to offer any amendments he thinks are necessary.

He's invoking the "crisis" bullshit for personal gain as well. There is no "crisis" that needs immediate payment of $700 billion. And there is no "crisis" that requires suspending the presidential campaign.

I suppose you could all be right.

But has a presidential campaign ever been suspended?

First they announce a combat unit will be stationed inside the US, then the republican candidate announces he will suspend his campaign?

I hate to play chicken-little, but ...Is the sky falling?

First they announce a combat unit will be stationed inside the US, then the republican candidate announces he will suspend his campaign?

Solitary if the sky really was falling, Congressional Republicans wouldn’t’ have told Cheney to go fuck himself on the Hill yesterday. When republicans have figured out that they’re being had again by other republicans, we really all need to take notice I think.

Ok, I will bow to the superior political experience. (and my lack of watching news lately)

Besides, where I live I will be less effected by a crisis, or effected later.

Things just have a strange feel to them lately.

So McCain, who hasn't voted in the Senate since March and after spending the past several days attacking Obama for not taking a stand notwithstanding Obama's sentiment that he was informed by Paulson and Bernake not to make the bailout a political football, suddenly has to get back to Washington to do important work on the bail out and is calling on Obama to do the same?

Screw him. McCain is flailing. He's sinking fast. There is no need for him to do anything other than vote on whatever bill the Democrats decided to put forward or to offer any amendments he thinks are necessary.

He's invoking the "crisis" bullshit for personal gain as well. There is no "crisis" that needs immediate payment of $700 billion. And there is no "crisis" that requires suspending the presidential campaign.

I agree with the very last point, but I don't see how you can argue that he gets personal gain from this, look at the poll numbers for who Americans trust on the economy now.
If anything he should be doing Obama's strategy of staying silent and keeping a low key knowing that supporters on both sides are split and there is political damage to take by going either way.

Ok, I will bow to the superior political experience. (and my lack of watching news lately)

Besides, where I live I will be less effected by a crisis, or effected later.

Things just have a strange feel to them lately.

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side,
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

I agree with the very last point, but I don't see how you can argue that he gets personal gain from this, look at the poll numbers for who Americans trust on the economy now.
If anything he should be doing Obama's strategy of staying silent and keeping a low key knowing that supporters on both sides are split and there is political damage to take by going either way.

The polls show that the vast majority trust Obama on the economy generally and an even larger majority trust Obama to deal with the financial crisis. McCain's polling on the economy are bad and on the financial crisis are in the shitter. McCain is desperately trying to turn the tide on the financial crisis numbers with this stunt.

that is what lots of the finiancial types want us to believe. It is all about perception not truth.

(CNN) — Barack Obama is 'inclined" to go ahead with the debate Friday night, campaign sources tell CNN.

McCain said Wednesday the debate should be postponed if the economic bailout has not passed congress by that time.

Obama is expected to make a statement around 4:30 p.m. ET.

I've gotta admit, I wish Obama had thought of this first. It crossed my mind the other day.

As of right now, Obama & McCain are the leaders of their respective parties, and America is facing what is pretty close to an unprecedented economic crisis (yes, the depression, as of now, was worse, but the scale is so much bigger now). They should be in Washington working with the Senate & everyone else to figure this thing out.

I don't think the debate has to be put on hold, but it wouldn't hurt to take a few days or week off the campaign trail to be a part of whatever solution is going to come out of there. It's not enough to have proposals that won't even be on the table until January.

IMO no one is falling for this.

McCain has said he is sucky on economics

Last week he said the fundamentals of the economy were sound

This week he is going to rush back to Washington to help pass a bill only 7% of Americans support.

Saw this on another site but I think it is funny and true:

Palin bounce done
Press pissed
Economy in the can
Can't keep on point
About to get my ass handed to me in a debate

Let's take a break

Back