McCain suspending his presidential campaign

• Thread starter Thread starter Cancel3
  • Start date Start date
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/24/mccain-suspends-campaign-to-help-with-bailout/

John McCain announced that he will suspend his presidential campaign on Thursday to return to Washington to help with bailout negotiations. He urged his opponent Barack Obama to do the same.

The Arizona senator also asked the Presidential Debate Commission to postpone Friday’s scheduled debate with Obama so that he can work on the financial crisis bailout plan now on Capitol Hill.

“America this week faces an historic crisis in our financial system. We must pass legislation to address this crisis. If we do not, credit will dry up, with devastating consequences for our economy. People will no longer be able to buy homes and their life savings will be at stake. Businesses will not have enough money to pay their employees. If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted. We cannot allow this to happen,” McCain said.

McCain’s move suggests he’s serious about dealing with the bailout since he had negotiated strongly to make the first of the three debates between the candidates on foreign policy, McCain’s strong suit.

McCain has fallen in recent polls as a result of the economic crisis. The latest FOX News/Opinion Dynamics poll shows Obama has taken a 45-39 percent lead over McCain, in large part because of independents. A Washington Post poll also showed that most voters think Obama has a better approach to dealing with the economy than McCain.

McCain aides said that he did not think the Bush administration’s $700 billion bailout plan, being shepherded by Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson, adequately addresses the crisis at hand.

McCain announced his decision shortly after the White House said President Bush will deliver an address to the nation Wednesday night.

WHAT A GOOD AMERICAN?!

IMO no one is falling for this.

McCain has said he is sucky on economics

Last week he said the fundamentals of the economy were sound

This week he is going to rush back to Washington to help pass a bill only 7% of Americans support.

Saw this on another site but I think it is funny and true:

Palin bounce done
Press pissed
Economy in the can
Can't keep on point
About to get my ass handed to me in a debate

Let's take a break

Good summary. That's about it.

This week he is going to rush back to Washington to help pass a bill only 7% of Americans support.

Palin bounce done
Press pissed
Economy in the can
Can't keep on point

Let's take a break

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/09/bailout_obama_favored_poll_fin.html

Americans favor a bailout by a two to one margin.

Palin bounce done
Press pissed
Economy in the can
Can't keep on point

Let's take a break

Not everyone talks about politics all the time like we do. There is a lot of dumb americans.

I've gotta admit, I wish Obama had thought of this first. It crossed my mind the other day.

As of right now, Obama & McCain are the leaders of their respective parties, and America is facing what is pretty close to an unprecedented economic crisis (yes, the depression, as of now, was worse, but the scale is so much bigger now). They should be in Washington working with the Senate & everyone else to figure this thing out.

I don't think the debate has to be put on hold, but it wouldn't hurt to take a few days or week off the campaign trail to be a part of whatever solution is going to come out of there. It's not enough to have proposals that won't even be on the table until January.

Onceler, you can't possibly believe this is all on the up and up.

I appreciate that you haven't become cynical, and that you assume the best of republican puppet masters. I used to be that way.

But this is classic Rove. Obama and McCain doesn't sit on the banking committees. Their expertise is not needed. These laws get adopted in committee. Obama and McCain can easily stay abreast of the situation, without sitting around in Washington. That committee is not their jurisdiction.

McCain is trying to cancel the fucking VP debate! Dano was laughing at me a few hours ago, but I totally called it. This is the most naked political stunt I've ever seen. Bush wasn't even this bold.

No effing way McCain wants to debate Obama, in a week when his poll numbers are tanking, and the conservative ideology is floundering on the rocks.

Sarah Palin is a freaking joke. They were so nakedly political in making this choice, its hard to fathom.

Onceler, the modern republican puppetmasters do not have the nation's interests at heart.

I definitely don't think it's all on the up & up. McCain has a lot to gain from it beyond the basic political calculation. He's definitely a bit desperate.

That said, while perhaps one of the most pivotal measures since the Iraq resolution is going down, 3 influential Senators are out on the road & not a part of it.

I was actually thinking about it when I was listening to Obama speak about the bailout, and he laid out 4 "essentials" for any measure, which I thought were smart & practical. Sure, he could relay these wishes to other Dems & they could act as surrogates, but it would be good to see him be a part of whatever they come up with. Right now, more than anyone, he is the leader of the Democratic Party. Just for a few days, I don't think it's a bad idea for him to be there, and I'm glad he accepted Bush's invite to go tomorrow.

Cancelling the debate doesn't make any sense though. We're talking about a couple of hours on Friday night. They could do that & still be part of whatever bailout solution Congress comes up w/.

I definitely don't think it's all on the up & up. McCain has a lot to gain from it beyond the basic political calculation. He's definitely a bit desperate.

That said, while perhaps one of the most pivotal measures since the Iraq resolution is going down, 3 influential Senators are out on the road & not a part of it.

I was actually thinking about it when I was listening to Obama speak about the bailout, and he laid out 4 "essentials" for any measure, which I thought were smart & practical. Sure, he could relay these wishes to other Dems & they could act as surrogates, but it would be good to see him be a part of whatever they come up with. Right now, more than anyone, he is the leader of the Democratic Party. Just for a few days, I don't think it's a bad idea for him to be there, and I'm glad he accepted Bush's invite to go tomorrow.

Cancelling the debate doesn't make any sense though. We're talking about a couple of hours on Friday night. They could do that & still be part of whatever bailout solution Congress comes up w/.

Well, maybe I'm wigging out over nothing.

I smell a rat though. I don't think there's really any damn reason to cancel the debates or put the election on pause. This isn't world war two or the civil war.

This is pure rovian political posturing, IMO. I don't think this country is going to collapse because McCain and Obama aren't in washington.

Of course McCain is terrified of debating this week.

And after Palin's disasters in unscripted interviews, Grandpa wants to buy her more time.

That's the way I see it.

And somebody PLEASE explain to me why McCain feels the need to drop everything and sprint to Washington when some Wall Street banks are in trouble....

....but this is McCain when black people, and poor whites are drowning in New Orleans:

I'm wondering if he is going to go even farther in his posturing: making a grand stand (knowing it will be futile) play at opposing the bail outs, thus playing to what has become majority opinion.

So he fails at blocking the measure, but is seen as an activist on the "correct" (notice I didn't say 'right') side of a controversial issue (ie - the more popular), while Obama is seen making pretty speeches, but essentially doing nothing.

And he also plays up his rep as a maverick, going against the Bush administration at a critical time. Not to mention playing to his campaign theme of "putting country first". All in all, it could be a brilliant move.

Back