Morality Defined

As man's ability to reason and rationalize began to develop, he began to contemplate why he was here, and how he was able to conquer primitive fear and control fire, etc. This led to an enlightenment, that something greater must be in play, and he is obviously part of it. This led to Spirituality, and routines or rituals to honor the power which gave him the power.
So you believe man had no sense of morality until he hypothesized god, and invented rituals to honor god? That still doesn't explain where morality came from.
As human population grew, it became common for families or clans to encounter others who were not part of the clan. When this happened, nature would dictate the strongest survived and prevailed and the weakest would die. However, through the observations of like spiritual rituals and beliefs, clans were eventually able to develop bonds with each other over common beliefs and principles associated with their mutual spiritual beliefs, and thus, moral social codes were formed and human morality emerged.
SO from observing each other's spritual rituals, they learned to get along? Wow. that's fucking stupid.
Not what I said... man, you really do have a problem comprehending things. I'll try to type slower. The premise you presented to explain morality, the mutual benefit and cooperation aspect, made the practice of forming moral social codes attractive and desirable. Before morality is practiced, it can't be "desirable" or "undesirable" because... well... it hasn't happened. Duh.
People learned that cooperation works, as have animals, to a degree.
All of it. From every anthropological finding we have unearthed, we see no evidence Neanderthal either practiced spirituality, or engaged in social moral contract with other humans. They did exist at the same time as Homo-Sapien, and they did become extinct. Most experts believe it was precisely because of their lack of social moral codes and inability to gain compatibility with Homo-Sapiens, which led to their demise.
You gotta link where scientists thinks neanderthals became extinct from a lack of a social moral code?
Nope, I had no idea.

Yep. You are a cretin. Now you know.

Last edited:
...talk about cretins...
Geez, I can't believe you Assclown, I had to go retrieve this question from another thread, because you are apparently too retarded to know how to post on a message board....

How does one gain trust and faith from observation of a ritual or tribal custom? That just doesn't make sense.

Okay, let's say you are into fitness and working out. A guy moves in next door to you, but you don't know what to make of him, you don't trust strangers and you have no faith that he isn't a serial killer or pervert or something, so you keep your distance and doors locked. One day, you are out in your back yard and you notice your neighbor working out in his back yard. Through this "observation of a ritual" you begin to develop some faith and trust that maybe he isn't such a bad guy after all, he likes what you like, and does what you do. Over time, you gain more trust and faith, and eventually go over and introduce yourself, and you two hit it off like the gay-baits you are, and soon you are dating and buying joint membership packages at the gym together. You have developed a social moral code with each other, through faith and trust in observed rituals. Do you comprehend me now?

...talk about cretins...
Geez, I can't believe you Assclown, I had to go retrieve this question from another thread, because you are apparently too retarded to know how to post on a message board....

Okay, let's say you are into fitness and working out. A guy moves in next door to you, but you don't know what to make of him, you don't trust strangers and you have no faith that he isn't a serial killer or pervert or something, so you keep your distance and doors locked. One day, you are out in your back yard and you notice your neighbor working out in his back yard. Through this "observation of a ritual" you begin to develop some faith and trust that maybe he isn't such a bad guy after all, he likes what you like, and does what you do.
People can have different hobbies, yet still behave morally and be nice people, conversely, someone could share a hobby with me, yet still be immoral.
Only some deranged retard would take a morality lesson from watching his neighbor workout.

Over time, you gain more trust and faith, and eventually go over and introduce yourself, and you two hit it off like the gay-baits you are, and soon you are dating and buying joint membership packages at the gym together. You have developed a social moral code with each other, through faith and trust in observed rituals. Do you comprehend me now?

No. Not at all. You're moronic.

So you believe man had no sense of morality until he hypothesized god, and invented rituals to honor god? That still doesn't explain where morality came from.

God? Who said anything about God?

SO from observing each other's spritual rituals, they learned to get along? Wow. that's fucking stupid.

No, from observing each others like beliefs and customs associated with spiritual beliefs, they began to develop faith and trust. What's stupid about that?

People learned that cooperation works, as have animals, to a degree.

LMFAO... Animals have not learned human morality, and "cooperation works" is not human morality anyway!

You gotta link where scientists thinks neanderthals became extinct from a lack of a social moral code?

Do I look like Wikipedia to you? Go educate yourself on Neanderthal!

Yep. You are a cretin. Now you know.

I know you are, but what am I?

God? Who said anything about God?
you said:
"This led to Spirituality, and routines or rituals to honor the power which gave him the power."

My point is that a ritual to honor a power doesn't explain morality, regardless of what you call tha power. We don't have to call it god. Forgive for using the wrong term. Your theory still makes no sense.
No, from observing each others like beliefs and customs associated with spiritual beliefs, they began to develop faith and trust. What's stupid about that?
Everything.
LMFAO... Animals have not learned human morality, and "cooperation works" is not human morality anyway!
Basically yeah, it is.
Do I look like Wikipedia to you? Go educate yourself on Neanderthal!

I know you are, but what am I?

I will assert with confidence then that there is no scientific hypothesis posited by any scientist which asserts that neanderthals died from lack of morality. Dixie is making shit up again.

you said:
"This led to Spirituality, and routines or rituals to honor the power which gave him the power."

My point is that a ritual to honor a power doesn't explain morality, regardless of what you call tha power. We don't have to call it god. Forgive for using the wrong term. Your theory still makes no sense.

Spiritual belief is not the same thing as belief in a deity. Routines and customs may not necessarily be intended to "honor" anything, that was merely an example I gave to help you understand. My theory makes perfect sense, more so than your theory that man observed nature, which is devoid of human morality.

I will assert with confidence then that there is no scientific hypothesis posited by any scientist which asserts that neanderthals died from lack of morality. Dixie is making shit up again.

No, it appears you are making shit up again, or just failing to comprehend what you've read again. Neanderthals became extinct for some reason, we know this for a fact because they do not presently exist... however, you may actually be the 'missing link' scientists haven't discovered! Since our discoveries of ancient Neanderthals show no evidence of spiritual rituals or customs, it is theorized they didn't practice spirituality. Can't prove it, don't need to prove it, we are discussing a theory. If they had no spiritual beliefs and customs, they wouldn't have developed human morality, because spiritual beliefs and customs were likely the foundation of early moral social codes. Lacking these tools, they were unable to assimilate with homo-sapiens and became extinct... or at least, that is the theory. Do you have some alternate theory to suggest why Neanderthal became extinct? They had the same access to everything homo-sapiens had, they had virtually the same physical characteristics, other than smaller brains. The evidence points to social structures, and their inability to adapt to the moral codes and social structures found in early homo-sapiens. If you have some alternative theory for this, please explain it?

Spiritual belief is not the same thing as belief in a deity. Routines and customs may not necessarily be intended to "honor" anything, that was merely an example I gave to help you understand. My theory makes perfect sense, more so than your theory that man observed nature, which is devoid of human morality.
you make no sense and that's not my theory.
No, it appears you are making shit up again, or just failing to comprehend what you've read again. Neanderthals became extinct for some reason, we know this for a fact because they do not presently exist... however, you may actually be the 'missing link' scientists haven't discovered! Since our discoveries of ancient Neanderthals show no evidence of spiritual rituals or customs, it is theorized they didn't practice spirituality. Can't prove it, don't need to prove it, we are discussing a theory. If they had no spiritual beliefs and customs, they wouldn't have developed human morality, because spiritual beliefs and customs were likely the foundation of early moral social codes. Lacking these tools, they were unable to assimilate with homo-sapiens and became extinct... or at least, that is the theory. Do you have some alternate theory to suggest why Neanderthal became extinct? They had the same access to everything homo-sapiens had, they had virtually the same physical characteristics, other than smaller brains. The evidence points to social structures, and their inability to adapt to the moral codes and social structures found in early homo-sapiens. If you have some alternative theory for this, please explain it?

What evidence points to that? None. You're making shit up.

Science doesn't draw conclusions from the premise, why would you?

Science cannot prove anything, that doesn't mean it can't draw conclusions from premises. You might be a little confused.

Spiritual belief has not eroded, it has consistently grown in mankind. More people believe in something greater than self today, than ever in our history.

I don't deny God has been used to explain the unexplained, but that doesn't mean that is the purpose or intent of belief in a God. If that were the reason, we would see very few people today, practicing any form of spiritual belief.

It has been a core of what 'god' has been to man. That is hardly denied by the religious.

God, the great comforter is the reason why religion survives to this today.

I refute your suggestion that more people believe in some form of religious belief now than have ever in the past, unless you are simply referring to increase in population.

As a percentage, until the Darwinian evolution, religion was appraoching the 100% mark. A few brave soles questioned, Epicurus etc but the vast majority of the world's population believed. Now that percentage is not so high.

Why do you think a larger percentage of the world's people have religious 'faith' of some sort now, than, for example, two hundred years ago?

Yes, it is hard to accept, isn't that curious to you? Again, I have not made an "X, therefore, Y" argument, as you seem to want to keep indicating. I have simply introduced "possibility" into your otherwise closed mind.

This isn't an argument Dixie. When you argue, you argue the points presented before you, not simply call your opponent 'closed minded' because they argue against you.

True, but I never argued you had to have God to be happy, moral, and balanced. I simply stated a fact, that people with a strong spiritual conviction, are more happy, more successful, and better balanced. This is evidenced in the number of suicides, clinical depression, and instability among people who have no spiritual connection. The only thing it "proves" is that spiritual conviction is more than some trivial way of explaining the unexplained.

Have you polled suicide victims, the clinically depressed and the unstable as to their spiritual beliefs?

The is unsubstantiated. Those with spiritual beliefs are no more happy, moral, and balanced than those who do not.

Not just that things are complex, but things are complex in an intricate way that would almost prohibit the possibility of randomness.

We are treading old ground here Dixie. Firstly, evolution is not dependent on randomness, it is based on the honing process of natural selection. Genetic mutations are caused by chemical changes during the copying process, these are not a random process simply because there is no forethought, they are the result of cause and effect. Natural selection, the process by which these genetic mutations are weaned out is also not a result of a random process but a complex chain of cause and effect. You are assuming that because there is no forethought there must therefore be randomness.

With this is mind, on what basis do you claim that complexity almost prohibits evolution through natural selection?

The problem with your argument is, you have never "observed" evolution. You have a theory, you have an idea of how you think it all happened, but your idea is full of gaps and unexplained mysteries. This doesn't mean my argument becomes valid, just that your argument has some flaws.

Evolution through natural selection is observed on a daily basis in species that reproduce generations rapidly. You refer to the lack of observation of evolution through natural selection on 'higher order' species. This is because of the time these species take to reproduce generations. This is very hindering when we only have a limited timescale of observation.

Let me pose a question to you. Do you believe that god, or whatever you wish to call your 'spiritual creator', created the species as they are now? How did it happen? In a single day, as the bible suggests? How did the species come about?

And if life on Earth is so 'irreducibly complex' that is requires a creator, then that creator must be infinitely more complex. So what created it?

In all of our observations, we can not show how any cross-species evolution occurred, there is no evidence to support this. Through the Cambrian period, we can see how various species evolved, but within their own form of life, never a cross-species transformation. There is also the mystery of the complex eye, which didn't appear until the Cambrian period. So there are many unanswered questions, and while it doesn't "prove" there is a God, it doesn't "disprove" it either. The possibility of intelligent design still remains.

Here you are presenting the 'missing link' problem proposed by many creationists and those who argue for the same under different guises.

Firstly, fossils of missing link species have been found. The problem is that those who argue from your viewpoint won't be satisfied until fossils are found for every missing link species. Given the intricate nature of fossilisation it is hardly surprising that there are gaps in the fossil record. It is like expecting there to be ruins for every settlement that ever existed.

You brought up the classic creationist example, the eye. Have you considered functional evolution? That the function of the part can change through time and evolution? That a light sensitive patch that is exhibited still to this day extant in some aquatic species, evolved into the eye we see today?

I could turn the eye back at you. The light sensitive cells in the eye face the wrong way, facing inwards. If this was design, was it designed well? lol

But you haven't shown that. You have an opinion and a theory, but these are not "proof" of anything. To me, the watch analogy is legitimate, because it defines the argument in terms we can understand. You argue that the various elements washed upon the shore and created the watch over millions of years, and I argue that something or someone made the watch. Neither of us can prove our theory, but neither theory can be disproved.

Proof, proof, proof. Prove to me that gravity exists.

I presented a counter argument that demonstrated that your analogy was incorrect because it didn't fit. Presenting an argument against the argument I presented is far more effective than simply saying 'opinions vary'.

You've backed your arguments with closed-minded opinions, and that is all. You are unwilling to consider any possibility of an intelligent designer, because you don't believe in God, and refuse to accept any possibility which may include one.

No Dixie, I simply don't accept the possibility of an intelligent designer because your arguments don't convince me. They are easily countered and refuted. Especially those parts of your post where you don't counter argue but simply accuse me of being closed minded.

Dixie, I am far from close minded. Someone who isn't convinced doesn't equate to someone who is closed minded.

goddamn it Arnold, do I have to respond to ALL of that shit???

Okay, but give me a little time here, that's like a frickin' novel you wrote!

I will start by addressing this;
Science cannot prove anything, that doesn't mean it can't draw conclusions from premises. You might be a little confused.

It is my point exactly, that Science doesn't "prove" things. Therefore, conclusions are irrelevant, because they are based on faith. It is the same type of faith as someone may have in the Word of God, you have simply replaced it with Science. To "conclude" a premise, you must assume that Science HAS proven something, and it doesn't. I am perfectly willing to listen to any premise on how life originated, if you have one to share. So far, you haven't really done this, you've merely refuted my premise based on your personal faith. Let's try to keep "faith" out of this, and keep an open mind, shall we?

It is my point exactly, that Science doesn't "prove" things. Therefore, conclusions are irrelevant, because they are based on faith. It is the same type of faith as someone may have in the Word of God, you have simply replaced it with Science. To "conclude" a premise, you must assume that Science HAS proven something, and it doesn't. I am perfectly willing to listen to any premise on how life originated, if you have one to share. So far, you haven't really done this, you've merely refuted my premise based on your personal faith. Let's try to keep "faith" out of this, and keep an open mind, shall we?

You're becoming MORE retarded with each passing day.

Spiritual belief has not eroded, it has consistently grown in mankind. More people believe in something greater than self today, than ever in our history.

I don't deny God has been used to explain the unexplained, but that doesn't mean that is the purpose or intent of belief in a God. If that were the reason, we would see very few people today, practicing any form of spiritual belief.

It has been a core of what 'god' has been to man. That is hardly denied by the religious.

God, the great comforter is the reason why religion survives to this today.

I refute your suggestion that more people believe in some form of religious belief now than have ever in the past, unless you are simply referring to increase in population.

As a percentage, until the Darwinian evolution, religion was appraoching the 100% mark. A few brave soles questioned, Epicurus etc but the vast majority of the world's population believed. Now that percentage is not so high.

Why do you think a larger percentage of the world's people have religious 'faith' of some sort now, than, for example, two hundred years ago?

I know that 96 out of 100 people, identify with the concept of something greater than self. That IS approaching 100%. What is your scientific explanation for why God is (and has always been) such a powerful "great comforter?" What is your biological explanation for why human spirituality has prevailed as a profound human attribute, if it is, as you 'conclude', not needed by the species?

Yes, it is hard to accept, isn't that curious to you? Again, I have not made an "X, therefore, Y" argument, as you seem to want to keep indicating. I have simply introduced "possibility" into your otherwise closed mind.

This isn't an argument Dixie. When you argue, you argue the points presented before you, not simply call your opponent 'closed minded' because they argue against you.

No, it is an argument. I am arguing for the open-minded idea that anything is possible and we shouldn't dismiss possibilities, make assumptions, or draw conclusions. You are arguing that we should.

True, but I never argued you had to have God to be happy, moral, and balanced. I simply stated a fact, that people with a strong spiritual conviction, are more happy, more successful, and better balanced. This is evidenced in the number of suicides, clinical depression, and instability among people who have no spiritual connection. The only thing it "proves" is that spiritual conviction is more than some trivial way of explaining the unexplained.

Have you polled suicide victims, the clinically depressed and the unstable as to their spiritual beliefs?

The is unsubstantiated. Those with spiritual beliefs are no more happy, moral, and balanced than those who do not.

Actually, there have been numerous studies of people who have clinical depression and suicidal tendencies, as well as alcoholics and people with substance addiction. An extremely low percentage of them have any connection with religious faith or spirituality. In fact, most people who have overcome these conditions, will most often credit "God" for their recovery. I can provide you with countless testimonies to this effect.

Not just that things are complex, but things are complex in an intricate way that would almost prohibit the possibility of randomness.

We are treading old ground here Dixie. Firstly, evolution is not dependent on randomness, it is based on the honing process of natural selection. Genetic mutations are caused by chemical changes during the copying process, these are not a random process simply because there is no forethought, they are the result of cause and effect. Natural selection, the process by which these genetic mutations are weaned out is also not a result of a random process but a complex chain of cause and effect. You are assuming that because there is no forethought there must therefore be randomness.

With this is mind, on what basis do you claim that complexity almost prohibits evolution through natural selection?

Hold on, I thought we were debating Origin of Life, not Evolution? I have not disputed ET, I believe in ET, and it certainly is not 'random' and certainly does indicate intelligence in design. In fact, ET is one of the strongest indicators of intelligent design.

When I spoke of randomness, I was referring to the 'randomness' of events and circumstances which enabled life to originate. I am talking about the fact that predictability and reliability found in physics, science, math, and complexity of life, are opposed to 'randomness' and indicate intelligence in design. Likewise, the predictability and lack of randomness in ET, are also indicators of intelligent design.

The problem with your argument is, you have never "observed" evolution. You have a theory, you have an idea of how you think it all happened, but your idea is full of gaps and unexplained mysteries. This doesn't mean my argument becomes valid, just that your argument has some flaws.

Evolution through natural selection is observed on a daily basis in species that reproduce generations rapidly. You refer to the lack of observation of evolution through natural selection on 'higher order' species. This is because of the time these species take to reproduce generations. This is very hindering when we only have a limited timescale of observation.

Let me pose a question to you. Do you believe that god, or whatever you wish to call your 'spiritual creator', created the species as they are now? How did it happen? In a single day, as the bible suggests? How did the species come about?

And if life on Earth is so 'irreducibly complex' that is requires a creator, then that creator must be infinitely more complex. So what created it?

Again, we aren't arguing ET, I agree with ET! I do not "conclude" it to be a fact, but there is evidence for it, and it's reasonable to assume it happens. I also do not believe it is responsible for the origin of life, as there is no evidence to support that idea.

As for "how it happened" I have no idea, nor do I claim to have. Your final question is somewhat rhetorical, and we can play the same game with the Big Bang theory... what caused it, and why were all of the necessary building blocks of life contained in it? I don't know who or what may have 'created' the creator, it may be way beyond our ability to comprehend or understand, and maybe there wasn't a 'creator' for the creator. Perhaps the creator resides in a completely different deminsion, and doesn't require physical 'creation' as we define it, to exist? None of this negates the evidence to suggest intelligence in our design.

In all of our observations, we can not show how any cross-species evolution occurred, there is no evidence to support this. Through the Cambrian period, we can see how various species evolved, but within their own form of life, never a cross-species transformation. There is also the mystery of the complex eye, which didn't appear until the Cambrian period. So there are many unanswered questions, and while it doesn't "prove" there is a God, it doesn't "disprove" it either. The possibility of intelligent design still remains.

Here you are presenting the 'missing link' problem proposed by many creationists and those who argue for the same under different guises.

Firstly, fossils of missing link species have been found. The problem is that those who argue from your viewpoint won't be satisfied until fossils are found for every missing link species. Given the intricate nature of fossilisation it is hardly surprising that there are gaps in the fossil record. It is like expecting there to be ruins for every settlement that ever existed.

You brought up the classic creationist example, the eye. Have you considered functional evolution? That the function of the part can change through time and evolution? That a light sensitive patch that is exhibited still to this day extant in some aquatic species, evolved into the eye we see today?

I could turn the eye back at you. The light sensitive cells in the eye face the wrong way, facing inwards. If this was design, was it designed well? lol

The human eye, indeed, the complex eyes of most primates, did not evolve from a photosensitive patch, because the mechanics and functioning are completely different, and unrelated. While I support ET, it is not an answer for everything, and the complex human eye is a good example. ET dictates that things which are needed are retained, and things that aren't needed are discarded, but it doesn't allow things to be 'invented' on the fly. This would have to be the case with the human eye, as it contains numerous parts which work in unison together, and if any part were missing, the eye simply wouldn't work.

As for design... the human eye is capable of seeing more colors in the color spectrum, than any other eye. So, yes, I think it was designed fairly well. Not as well as the eye of the Eagle, but the Eagle needs better eyesight than the Human, in order to spot prey on the ground.

But you haven't shown that. You have an opinion and a theory, but these are not "proof" of anything. To me, the watch analogy is legitimate, because it defines the argument in terms we can understand. You argue that the various elements washed upon the shore and created the watch over millions of years, and I argue that something or someone made the watch. Neither of us can prove our theory, but neither theory can be disproved.

Proof, proof, proof. Prove to me that gravity exists.

I presented a counter argument that demonstrated that your analogy was incorrect because it didn't fit. Presenting an argument against the argument I presented is far more effective than simply saying 'opinions vary'.

You can easily prove gravity exists by dropping something. Proving why gravity exists, is a different thing. You presented an argument which concluded things based on theories. You can't show my analogy doesn't fit, because my analogy is valid and does fit. Whereas the watch represents life, and your assumptions for origin of life equate to elements randomly concurring to form the watch, and my belief that the intricate complexity of the design, almost completely prohibits the possibility of randomness.

You've backed your arguments with closed-minded opinions, and that is all. You are unwilling to consider any possibility of an intelligent designer, because you don't believe in God, and refuse to accept any possibility which may include one.

No Dixie, I simply don't accept the possibility of an intelligent designer because your arguments don't convince me. They are easily countered and refuted. Especially those parts of your post where you don't counter argue but simply accuse me of being closed minded.

Dixie, I am far from close minded. Someone who isn't convinced doesn't equate to someone who is closed minded.
Well, I know you "don't accept" possibilities because you have "concluded" otherwise. This is why it is so easy for you to counter and refute logic and common sense. I am not "accusing" you of being closed-minded, you indeed ARE closed-minded. You see, when someone says a person is "closed-minded" it means precisely what you just stated... you "simply don't accept the possibility" of something. It's not intended to insult you or to avoid the arguments, it is merely a statement of fact. While I have maintained an open mind, willing to accept the theories of Darwin, ET and natural selection, willing to believe these theories are accurate and true, but stopping short of believing they explain the origin of life, and daring to believe, perhaps there is another possibility, another explanation. Perhaps it's something we don't yet understand, or aren't capable as humans of comprehending? My mind is OPEN to the possibilities, yours is not.

Basically hope itself is an adaptive trait. But you could also just have hope that mankind will change, it needn't be spiritual. Rationally hope works, because when you believe good things are possible, for whatever reason, you are more likely to frame your environment in your mind as one where success is possible, therefore, you will see the opportunities around you.
And i don't think man developed hope from "observing the rituals of tribes they came into contact with".

I will have to respond to your post over the weekend as the missus will roast my nuts if I spend all day on here, I'll go through point by point.

Science has nothing to do with faith, in fact, they are almost direct opposites.

Faith is the belief in something despite observation, science is the belief in something because of observation. This word 'proof' throws a lot of people. Proof means the delivery of absolute knowledge. Absolute knowledge is an impossibility. So we have to therefore find the best way of 'knowing' things. Do we follow faith, the belief created a priori (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/apriori?view=uk) through 'revelation', or do we extrapolate knowledge a posteriori, from what we have observed, testing it against future observations?

I'll give you a clue. It wasn't faith through revelation that created the computer you are using, nor discovered the electricity that powers it. It was through repeated observation. Science. 'Through repeated observation' has given the world the knowledge it has now.

So, no, science cannot provide you with absolute knowledge. It cannot bring you proof. No knowledge we currently have has been 'proved', even our laws of gravity are simply predictions based on previous observation. But faith doesn't come into it. I would love to remove faith from our discussion but then I didn't introduce it.

Morality is a set of behavioral standards and attitudes which facilitate voluntary and mutually beneficial relationships between individuals.

I didn't want to get into the fray but I disagree with the above premise. I would change to, "Morality is usually about attitudes towards behaviors," end of definition. Do's and Don'ts come later or earlier. And for many elimination of God is a mistake, just because I may not believe in a supreme being or an ultimate meaning of life is not reason to assume that is the correct position for everyone.

"It is not enough to ask, ‘Will my act harm other people?’ Even if the answer is No, my act may still be wrong, because of its effects on other people. I should ask, ‘Will my act be one of a set of acts that will together harm other people?’ The answer may be Yes. And the harm to others may be great..."

Derek Parfit (b. 1943), British philosopher. Reasons and Persons

I didn't want to get into the fray but I disagree with the above premise. I would change to, "Morality is usually about attitudes towards behaviors," end of definition.
It's more that just attitudes about behaviors. Ultimately it's about judging behaviors according to a specific set of criteria: Increasing survivability. An attitude that a behavior that decreases survivability is positive, is the inverse of morality and hence immoral.
Do's and Don'ts come later or earlier. And for many elimination of God is a mistake, just because I may not believe in a supreme being or an ultimate meaning of life is not reason to assume that is the correct position for everyone.
Typical elitist opinion. "Dumb people need god to scare them into doing what we, the elite, deem is best."
"It is not enough to ask, ‘Will my act harm other people?’ Even if the answer is No, my act may still be wrong, because of its effects on other people. I should ask, ‘Will my act be one of a set of acts that will together harm other people?’ The answer may be Yes. And the harm to others may be great..."

Derek Parfit (b. 1943), British philosopher. Reasons and Persons

Yeah. Like giving people loans you know they can't pay back. IM not sure we disagree on this last part.

Science has nothing to do with faith, in fact, they are almost direct opposites.

Faith is the belief in something despite observation, science is the belief in something because of observation. This word 'proof' throws a lot of people. Proof means the delivery of absolute knowledge. Absolute knowledge is an impossibility. So we have to therefore find the best way of 'knowing' things. Do we follow faith, the belief created a priori (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/apriori?view=uk) through 'revelation', or do we extrapolate knowledge a posteriori, from what we have observed, testing it against future observations?

I'll give you a clue. It wasn't faith through revelation that created the computer you are using, nor discovered the electricity that powers it. It was through repeated observation. Science. 'Through repeated observation' has given the world the knowledge it has now.

So, no, science cannot provide you with absolute knowledge. It cannot bring you proof. No knowledge we currently have has been 'proved', even our laws of gravity are simply predictions based on previous observation. But faith doesn't come into it. I would love to remove faith from our discussion but then I didn't introduce it.

Arnold, to "KNOW" something, is to believe it "factually true.", is it not? If Science can not prove something factually true, the only way to "know" is through faith in your observations. Just as you have repeatedly observed scientific tests and experiments, and drawn conclusions, others have observed the miracles of God and have religious faith. It is really no different.

Now, I don't know about you, but I have never seen any species of life evolve, short of bacterial and microbial life. I have seen fossil evidence to suggest the possibility that life may have evolved, but it requires me to have faith in that observation being factual. Even with this assumed faith in observation, none of us have ever seen life originate from raw elements by random chance. It has never happened, and never been observed. In fact, any attempts we've made to 'test' or 'experiment' with creating complex life, is futile at best. So even with our considerable human intelligent input, we can't recreate this amazing and intriguing process of life, or evolution of life.

It would seem to me, this observation of scientific failure to replicate origination of complex life and make it evolve with human intelligent input, would at least open the possibility of some other answer to the question of origin. It would seem to me, you would need an awful lot of raw faith and belief in something not proven, in order to "conclude" life didn't originate through some form of intelligent design.

You can yammer about priori's and posteriori's all you like, the bottom line is this... you can either "conclude" through faith in science or god, or you can not "conclude" and follow scientific principles of continuing to ask questions. Once you have "concluded" something, you make the statement of faith in belief of something definitive to you. There is no way to follow scientific method and remain true and objective to the principles of science, once you have drawn a conclusion. In your case, you have concluded things to be true, based on scientific observations which did not 'prove' anything. It's really no different than a Christian concluding God exists because of some 'miracle' they observed. While you associate religious faith with "blind faith" it is no more "blind" than faith in science, in reality. You base your faith on observations in an experiment, and draw conclusions from that faith, a religious person bases faith on observations in real life, of the powers of God.

My position, to clarify, is one of non-conclusion. I have not concluded based on faith, either through scientific observation or religious/spiritual observations, and remain open-minded to possibility. I have not concluded your scientific observations or faith in them, to be incorrect or wrong. But I have also not concluded the 'creationist' observations or faith, to be incorrect or wrong. I remain completely open-minded and do not believe we have a definitive answer for things you have concluded. My position is in compliance with scientific principles, your position is akin to faith-based religious beliefs.

Arnold, to "KNOW" something, is to believe it "factually true.", is it not? If Science can not prove something factually true, the only way to "know" is through faith in your observations. Just as you have repeatedly observed scientific tests and experiments, and drawn conclusions, others have observed the miracles of God and have religious faith. It is really no different.
Yes. It really is different. Scientific experiments can be reproduced, making them actual science. Religious experiences, burning bushes, commandments to kill your children, stone tablet exchange etc... are not reproducible, and just anecdotal. Mythology, if you will. It still ends in an ology, be happy they let it on campus.

Back