Morality Defined

Morality is just an answer to the questions humans ask each other - "how are we to live?" It's perfectly easy to live a moral life while not having religious beliefs and it's perfectly easy to live a moral while having religious beliefs. That doesn't mean one set of morals is superior to another. But being religious does mean you're more likely to be bloody smug as has been demonstrated in this thread :)

Why do we ask each other how we are to live? What is the purpose of this question? How does the Lion live? How do Gorillas live? Why would we, as evolutionary creatures, need to ask this question? What is it about morality that makes Atheists desire to be seen as moral? Why is it fundamentally important to them as a member of the species?

It's actually not easy to live a moral life, ask the Amish. It's also not easy to stand up for your moral convictions, which is the true test of your actual moral fiber. Anyone can claim morality, Hitler even claimed a moral stance.

Religion is the formal school of morals, it is where morality is fostered, taught, and advocated. I am not Religious, I do not belong to any particular organized religion, I am a devout Spiritualist and I do believe in God. I respect the teachings of Jesus, he had some great lessons of morality, and we should all listen if we advocate moral behavior. Those who attack morality and yet claim to be moral, are frauds and they have been exposed in this thread.

Why do we ask each other how we are to live? What is the purpose of this question? How does the Lion live? How do Gorillas live? Why would we, as evolutionary creatures, need to ask this question? What is it about morality that makes Atheists desire to be seen as moral? Why is it fundamentally important to them as a member of the species?

It's actually not easy to live a moral life, ask the Amish. It's also not easy to stand up for your moral convictions, which is the true test of your actual moral fiber. Anyone can claim morality, Hitler even claimed a moral stance.

Religion is the formal school of morals, it is where morality is fostered, taught, and advocated. I am not Religious, I do not belong to any particular organized religion, I am a devout Spiritualist and I do believe in God. I respect the teachings of Jesus, he had some great lessons of morality, and we should all listen if we advocate moral behavior. Those who attack morality and yet claim to be moral, are frauds and they have been exposed in this thread.

The difference between a lion and a gorilla and a human is the brain, particularly the cerebral cortex. Humans, being social animals - this is not exclusively a human trait, there are plenty of social animals, gorillas being a good example - need to work out not just how to live in close proximity to each other (the human reproductive process requires some form of parenting, unlike, say the turtle which just lays eggs and then leaves the hatchlings to fend for themselves) to ensure the continuation of the species and also the in-group. The rules were probably originally worked out by trial and error (experience is the ancient educator of humans) and the information, the "rules", were transmitted across generations. One early rule might have been "don't kill". I am hypothesising here but let me qualify that by saying it was probably "don't kill one of ours because it means we're down one and that means the rest of you will have one less hunter, one less gatherer, one less body to reproduce....." and so on.

The rules came from there.

One can be moral and not be religious. Morality is simply rules for living. While some of those rules for living can be said to be constant, almost embedded in human DNA, most are socially relative, having been invented by humans in particular social circumstances to fit.
Let me give an example. Australian aborigines had no concept of theft simply because they had no concept of private property. The idea of theft will only be found in a society that has invented the concept of private property.

In that sense much - not all - morality is subjective and relative, bound in time and place.

Morality predates religion.

You can be a very "moral" person and still be horrible to others.

Morals are variable.

Some cultures think it very moral to do things we think are very immoral.

And "thou shalt no kill". Unless they are Islamofascists!

You can be a very "moral" person and still be horrible to others.

No. Because being horrible isn't moral.
Morals are variable.
Not realy. They're behaviors and attitudes which facilitate MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL cooperative relationships.
Some cultures think it very moral to do things we think are very immoral.

And "thou shalt no kill". Unless they are Islamofascists!

This is why religion is not necessarily moral. Remember, the islamofascists want to kill infidels as well.

No. Because being horrible isn't moral.
//

Depends on which side of the fence you are on. didn't you understand Diuretics very good post on this ? He statred it so much better than I could or did.

The difference between a lion and a gorilla and a human is the brain, particularly the cerebral cortex. Humans, being social animals - this is not exclusively a human trait, there are plenty of social animals, gorillas being a good example - need to work out not just how to live in close proximity to each other (the human reproductive process requires some form of parenting, unlike, say the turtle which just lays eggs and then leaves the hatchlings to fend for themselves) to ensure the continuation of the species and also the in-group. The rules were probably originally worked out by trial and error (experience is the ancient educator of humans) and the information, the "rules", were transmitted across generations. One early rule might have been "don't kill". I am hypothesising here but let me qualify that by saying it was probably "don't kill one of ours because it means we're down one and that means the rest of you will have one less hunter, one less gatherer, one less body to reproduce....." and so on.

The rules came from there.

One can be moral and not be religious. Morality is simply rules for living. While some of those rules for living can be said to be constant, almost embedded in human DNA, most are socially relative, having been invented by humans in particular social circumstances to fit.
Let me give an example. Australian aborigines had no concept of theft simply because they had no concept of private property. The idea of theft will only be found in a society that has invented the concept of private property.

In that sense much - not all - morality is subjective and relative, bound in time and place.

Morality predates religion.

Go back and read the questions again, you missed a few. I wasn't asking about the physical difference between humans, lions, and gorillas, I was asking about the behavioral difference. It was also rhetorical in question, the point being, we already know and understand the behaviors of other creatures of evolution, why would we need to question our own? Lions and Gorillas have obviously not adapted a moral behavior, and last I checked, they have not become extinct from killing each other, so your idea that this was the reason humans adopted morality, is baseless.

You said: Morality is just an answer to the questions humans ask each other - "how are we to live?" Well, why do we need to ask such a question? And why would Morality be involved with the answer? The Lion and Gorilla are the collective kings of their domains, and they don't seem to be asking each other how to live, nor do they exhibit moral behavior. Why would humans, the products of the same evolution, need or want to entertain such a question? You've not really explained this sufficiently, in my opinion.

Your argument amounts to an example of how man may have come to the moral decision not to kill, but we see evidence over the years of many killed in war, some of them were literal moral crusades! So it seems your theory fails at explaining morality. You state, rather matter-of-factly, that morality predates religion, but does it predate spirituality? From the most ancient relics we've discovered of man, we see indications of spiritual belief. Ritual burial, ceremonial funerals, and also a sense of some morality. So, this question of when morality came to be and why, is still unanswered.

As I stated, there is no physiological reason for man to behave morally. It doesn't make us stronger, it doesn't help us to reproduce, and in most cases it has proven to be detrimental in our very survival. Consider all of the millions of people who have died standing on their moral convictions. Clearly, morality is not conducive with the physical 'natural selection' of any species, as it is only found in humans. I love the way you guys assign a simplistic description to morality... you claim morality is simply not acting selfish toward others, or not killing them, but morality goes a lot deeper than this. Those are certainly moral attributes, but you are still failing to answer the fundamental question, why is it important to man?

What is it about Morality, that prompts an Atheist to post a thread like this? Why is it important to AHZ that he be seen as a moral person? Why are all the anti-religious pinheads so defensive about their own morality? Most importantly, how can you endorse your own version of morality, yet constantly battle the moral viewpoints of others, and still claim to be the advocate of morality? You can easily claim to believe it is not right to kill other people, that doesn't make you moral, it just makes you civilized.

We are to live in a way that maximizes our cooperative behaviors in a mutually beneficial fashion for all members of the group. there is no room here for the elitism of priests and the racism of chosen peoplehood. That's why your religious nuts hate morality when explained rationally. You choose the god myth, because it allows the hierarchy of priesthood and the racism of chosen peoplehood. You are not moral.

Dixie. Morality most certainly increases survivability. When people can trust others not to steal their stuff and their mates, they are able to focus energy on other endeavors, instead of having to sit by the entrance of their cave with a club all day long.

Dixie. Morality most certainly increases survivability. When people can trust others not to steal their stuff and their mates, they are able to focus energy on other endeavors, instead of having to sit by the entrance of their cave with a club all day long.

right The Patriot Act and Homeland Security all the way :cheer:

But Trust requires Faith. Why would man assume that others will behave morally because he is inclined to? There is no foundational basis to believe creatures of evolution, devoted to survival of the fittest, would have any inclination to behave morally, unless through Faith, they could come to trust others to do the same. This is where religion comes in, it teaches and instructs humans to maintain moral behavior. Granted, there are some pitfalls, since "morality" itself is often a subjective thing, as I mentioned before, Hitler firmly believed his cause was moral, the Klan, alQaeda, the Christian Crusades, there are a number of examples where Morality was misconstrued by mankind. This doesn't depreciate the fact that Modern Religion teaches Morality, for the most part. You may disagree with the specific Morality certain religion teaches, but to attack Religion in general, is to attack all the teachers of Morality.

So, we must have Faith and Trust in our fellow man to make Morality work. You have said this much yourself, but you attack the mechanism by which mankind has done this, Religious belief. Again, you are a contradiction in principle. It is easy for humans to understand that morality is a good thing for us, even a devout Atheist wants and desires to be seen as a moral person, so we all realize the value of morality. The question is, where did this conscious awareness evolve from? It is not physical in nature, it has no fundamental justification from a physical standpoint, and can be quite the contrary, very dangerous to the propagation of the species....ask the Jews.

I just think it is curious, humans are the only living creatures to practice worship and spirituality, and the only creatures to exhibit morality. A scientific mind may wonder if there might be a connection with the correlation. Almost as curious as an Atheist who wants to attack the teachers of morality to mankind, while claiming his own empirical morality, because it is important that he be seen as a moral creature. Very curious!

But Trust requires Faith. Why would man assume that others will behave morally because he is inclined to? There is no foundational basis to believe creatures of evolution, devoted to survival of the fittest, would have any inclination to behave morally, unless through Faith, they could come to trust others to do the same. This is where religion comes in, it teaches and instructs humans to maintain moral behavior. Granted, there are some pitfalls, since "morality" itself is often a subjective thing, as I mentioned before, Hitler firmly believed his cause was moral, the Klan, alQaeda, the Christian Crusades, there are a number of examples where Morality was misconstrued by mankind. This doesn't depreciate the fact that Modern Religion teaches Morality, for the most part. You may disagree with the specific Morality certain religion teaches, but to attack Religion in general, is to attack all the teachers of Morality.

So, we must have Faith and Trust in our fellow man to make Morality work. You have said this much yourself, but you attack the mechanism by which mankind has done this, Religious belief. Again, you are a contradiction in principle. It is easy for humans to understand that morality is a good thing for us, even a devout Atheist wants and desires to be seen as a moral person, so we all realize the value of morality. The question is, where did this conscious awareness evolve from? It is not physical in nature, it has no fundamental justification from a physical standpoint, and can be quite the contrary, very dangerous to the propagation of the species....ask the Jews.

I just think it is curious, humans are the only living creatures to practice worship and spirituality, and the only creatures to exhibit morality. A scientific mind may wonder if there might be a connection with the correlation. Almost as curious as an Atheist who wants to attack the teachers of morality to mankind, while claiming his own empirical morality, because it is important that he be seen as a moral creature. Very curious!

Trusting a fictitious cloud man requires faith. Trust between individuals is earned over time based on their behaviors.

We are to live in a way that maximizes our cooperative behaviors in a mutually beneficial fashion for all members of the group. there is no room here for the elitism of priests and the racism of chosen peoplehood. That's why your religious nuts hate morality when explained rationally. You choose the god myth, because it allows the hierarchy of priesthood and the racism of chosen peoplehood. You are not moral.

LMAO... your definition of morality also fits a typical street gang or pack of wild wolves. Not your typical "Moral Creatures" but apparently, they are your role models for morality?

To make it abundantly clear, I am not here to defend Religious beliefs and doctrines, I don't subscribe to any of them, I am a Spiritualist. I agree, many religions are racist in nature with their 'chosen peoplehood' dogma, which is why I don't belong to any orgainized religion. I also agree, the world has suffered in the name of morality claimed by religious beliefs. This doesn't justify attacks on any and all religious belief in the name of some 'naturalist morality' you claim to have dibs on. Religion has also been the cause of some profound things through history, from Martin Luther to Martin Luther King, Jr. we have examples of religious morality prevailing to change mankind for the better.

The ironic thing is, you want to claim morality, and be seen as a moral person, while attacking the most fundamental teachers and advocates of morality to all of mankind, it defies rational logic. You oppose morality, you can't also claim morality. My question is still... why would you come up with such a contradicting and convoluted position to show you are a moral person? Why is it so important for you to be seen as moral? Do you think you might be accountable to someone? Why should we care if you are moral, and why should you care if we care? What fundamental difference does that make to you?

LMAO... your definition of morality also fits a typical street gang or pack of wild wolves. Not your typical "Moral Creatures" but apparently, they are your role models for morality?

To make it abundantly clear, I am not here to defend Religious beliefs and doctrines, I don't subscribe to any of them, I am a Spiritualist. I agree, many religions are racist in nature with their 'chosen peoplehood' dogma, which is why I don't belong to any orgainized religion. I also agree, the world has suffered in the name of morality claimed by religious beliefs. This doesn't justify attacks on any and all religious belief in the name of some 'naturalist morality' you claim to have dibs on. Religion has also been the cause of some profound things through history, from Martin Luther to Martin Luther King, Jr. we have examples of religious morality prevailing to change mankind for the better.

The ironic thing is, you want to claim morality, and be seen as a moral person, while attacking the most fundamental teachers and advocates of morality to all of mankind, it defies rational logic. You oppose morality, you can't also claim morality. My question is still... why would you come up with such a contradicting and convoluted position to show you are a moral person? Why is it so important for you to be seen as moral? Do you think you might be accountable to someone? Why should we care if you are moral, and why should you care if we care? What fundamental difference does that make to you?

It does not defy rational logic. There is a brand of wolf morality. That is true.

We should care if we are moral, because not being moral wil cut us off from the rights given to people in the society who generally uphold the evolved moral codes.

Trust between individuals is earned over time based on their behaviors.

So you are saying there is no fundamental reason for assuming another human will behave morally toward you? This kind of nullifies your idea that man adopted morality because he realized it was better for us to trust each other. How did he realize this when it didn't happen naturally and took time to earn trust? The only explanation is Faith. At some point, some human had to have Faith that his fellow man would respond with mutual morality.

Well, clearly if Darwin's theories are correct, there is a fundamental reason mankind exhibits morality and strives to be moral. There is no physiological reason, at least not any I am aware of, you may know of something, I can't think of any. It doesn't make men stronger or more virile, it doesn't relate to mating or reproduction, and most of the time, moral conviction results in persecution, so there is no advantage there. For all intents and purposes, it's a seemingly unneeded allele, yet it is curiously and uniquely present in man, along with spirituality, which serves as the philosophical teaching of morality in the form of religion and religious belief.

So you list a series of reasons, and since you decided that it doesn't meet any of those reasons, there's no connection? Fucking idiot.

If this attribute of humanity is not physical and not required physiologically,

Something you've apparently decided to assume to make the rest of your argument meaningful.

then it must be a non-physical requirement. One thing is for certain, all men want to be seen as moral, regardless of their actions or words. You guys are classic examples, this thread is a classic example. Even though you constantly speak out against morality issues, you are here to defend your own personal morals, as if you need or require morality. I wonder why?

Do you think that morality is bad for us in general?

Maybe it's just that if we as a collective feel compassion and for each other and help each other out, we're better out overall. Otherwise, we'd basically be a bunch of independent lizards. Without wanting to morally help each other out, and wanting to communicate with each other, there'd be no way to spread or retain knowledge, and the biggest part of our success is knowledge.

Unlike what Christians assume, morality has shit to do with sex. Christians added their sexual definitions to human morality and stuck on their. Restricting sex just sticks out completely and absolutely as the most artificial and non-logical thing about modern Christian morality, and no emotion we have says we should do that naturally.

Back