More Fiscally Responsible Republicans Opposing Auto Bailout

KingCondanomation

"WASHINGTON (AP) - A House-passed bill to speed $14 billion in loans to Detroit's automakers stands on shaky ground in a bailout-weary Congress, undermined by Republican opposition that could derail the emergency aid in the Senate.

Republicans are challenging lame-duck President George W. Bush on the proposal, arguing that any support for the domestic auto industry should carry significant concessions from autoworkers and creditors and reject tougher environmental rules imposed by House Democrats."
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081211/D950GI5G0.html

GOOD. :)
Hopefully we can stop this obvious corporate welfare gift that is starting to look like nationalization with the auto czar and gov having a stake that the Dems want to do for JUST the 3 unionized Detroit automakers.

Less debt and fighting for smaller government.

Oh yes, the "fiscally responsible Republicans." Was there massive turnover among the Republican caucus that no one told me about?

Last edited:
Treasury securities in negative numbers ?

I read about this yesterday, this cannot be a good thing can it ?

Oh yes, the "fiscally conservative Republicans." Was there massive turnover among the Republican caucus that no one told me about?
Read the article, they know that Bush is weak and looking to push off the problems of this auto bailout to the future which will affect the country then. They've demanded some accountability and a lot are opposed.
It's refreshing to see and hopefully it means a return from the far left high spending route we've taken over the last few years.

Read the article, they know that Bush is weak and looking to push off the problems of this auto bailout to the future which will affect the country then. They've demanded some accountability and a lot are opposed.
It's refreshing to see and hopefully it means a return from the far left high spending route we've taken over the last few years.

I understand that they are opposed, but "fiscal responsibility" has very little to do with it.

"Fiscally responsible" - you retard. You still have no idea what a rejection of this bailout means to the economy.

If it fails, get back to me in a few months & let me know how "fiscally responsible" it is.

Perhaps the Republicans are getting contributions from non GM auto companies ?

Could be. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If someone contributed money to your campaign because they stood to gain from the war in Iraq ending, does that mean it's not right to end the war in Iraq or for you not to support it?

This is corporate welfare sold as a "financial rescue", no question if say GM went down that ALL other car companies would benefit, doesn't mean we are there to save them. Companies sometimes fail, there can be no freedom without the freedom to let them fail especially as it impedes other companies ability to succeed.

"Fiscally responsible" - you retard. You still have no idea what a rejection of this bailout means to the economy.

If it fails, get back to me in a few months & let me know how "fiscally responsible" it is.
It would mean ONE of the big 3 going down and the rest being healthier. Remember this is (largely) not a market collapse of demand, the others would just have to produce more and they would need to hire to do so.
A lot of KMart workers are now employed by Walmart, it's not the end of the world.

This was always inevitable, they have been losing market share for years as customers bought other cars, this could be just the jolt that would help the other 2 get healthier and who knows maybe see a new player on the scene.

I understand that they are opposed, but "fiscal responsibility" has very little to do with it.

Sure it is.
"Republicans are challenging lame-duck President George W. Bush on the proposal, arguing that any support for the domestic auto industry should carry significant concessions from autoworkers and creditors and reject tougher environmental rules imposed by House Democrats."

They are saying that if they want support they need concessions and rejection of regulations so that they have a better chance of paying all of us taxpayers back or they will not get our money.

It would mean ONE of the big 3 going down and the rest being healthier. Remember this is (largely) not a market collapse of demand, the others would just have to produce more and they would need to hire to do so.
A lot of KMart workers are now employed by Walmart, it's not the end of the world.

This was always inevitable, they have been losing market share for years as customers bought other cars, this could be just the jolt that would help the other 2 get healthier and who knows maybe see a new player on the scene.

If GM fails, the likelihood is that Ford will fail, too. Don't take my word for it; read up on what those who are actually in the industry are saying.

You really don't know anything about anything.

Sure it is.
"Republicans are challenging lame-duck President George W. Bush on the proposal, arguing that any support for the domestic auto industry should carry significant concessions from autoworkers and creditors and reject tougher environmental rules imposed by House Democrats."

They are saying that if they want support they need concessions and rejection of regulations so that they have a better chance of paying all of us taxpayers back or they will not get our money.

Well if they say so it must be true.

If GM fails, the likelihood is that Ford will fail, too. Don't take my word for it; read up on what those who are actually in the industry are saying.

I did read up on it, Dungheap posted some good information. And as I've said previously they are not that reliant on one another, certainly not in the most important department of parts manufacturing.

Further, when a company fails, that leaves other companies free to try and recruit their best and brightest and their most valuable assets. The competition USUALLY gains when a competitor fails, and they certainly will not only there but also in the most important arena of sales with picking up the bulk of the lost sales for the company that failed.

I did read up on it, Dungheap posted some good information. And as I've said previously they are not that reliant on one another, certainly not in the most important department of parts manufacturing.

Further, when a company fails, that leaves other companies free to try and recruit their best and brightest and their most valuable assets. The competition USUALLY gains when a competitor fails, and they certainly will not only there but also in the most important arena of sales with picking up the bulk of the lost sales for the company that failed.

Do you have any idea what happens to the economy if GM tanks?

Do you know what will happen to consumer spending when that happens, particularly to large-ticket items like cars?

Do you know what will happen to the supplier chain that they all share?

Like I said - you don't know anything about anything....

True but in the long run foreign owned auto companies would benefit from less competition.

Bail or not to bail. It is more of support thing imho. I do not think auto sales will rebound enough to support all the auto industries the USA has for at least the next year.

Why I say support the displaced workers not the industry.

Much more cost effective.

Do you have any idea what happens to the economy if GM tanks?
Do you know what will happen to consumer spending when that happens, particularly to large-ticket items like cars?
I have pointed out to you before of other countries where not only ONE domestic car company tanked but nearly all did (ie: Britain), they are doing just fine.
And America is in a far better position with 2 other domestic automakers that would become stronger.
They are dying a slow death and you are only going to drag it out more. In the 80's and 90's we saw plenty of decline in manufacturing, more than GM, and we witnessed great growth with all classes income increasing:
http://www.census.gov/hhes/income/histinc/f03.html

Do you know what will happen to the supplier chain that they all share?
Like I said - you don't know anything about anything....
GM's parts supplies are largely from AC Delco, Chrysler is largely from Mopar. They DO NOT share the same supply chain. Why would they? Have you ever changed any parts in your life? I'm guessing no.
I've changed fuel filters, oil filters, lock pieces, some coolant equipment. Most of what a car contains is proprietary to the maker as it is their design, they do not share designs. So of course parts makers would not make parts that would work for both in the MAJORITY of cases.
Go to an auto store, look up some part for your vehicle, see if it fits in any other vehicle, if it does it's almost always the same automaker but a different model, NOT a different company.

Back