More Lay-offs

Cancel7

Banned
One thing I’m very happy about here in NY, where the job market is very depressed and getting worse, is that I for whatever crazy reason, decided last year to leave my corporate position and take this lower-paying position in the non-profit sector. The fact is that I did it because I wanted to do something that mattered, and because it wasn't for too much less, and in the interim, I’ve already received a nice raise, and I have the kind of job security here that is going to be in short supply out there. For some time to come. I really feel for these people losing their jobs here. I don’t know what it’s like in other parts of the country right now, but here, the job market has dried up.

Bank executives warned on Thursday that Merrill could continue to struggle as the broader economic downturn continues.
In the interview, Mr. Thain sounded a more negative note on the economy than some of his Wall Street colleagues, saying he did not think the downturn was near its bottom.

“So far the slowdown has been finance-driven,” Mr. Thain said. “What we haven’t seen yet is the impact on the consumer of falling house prices, rising energy prices, higher food prices and higher unemployment.”
The recession, he said, is going to move from being a finance-driven problem to a consumer-driven one, and Merrill may continue to struggle as a result.

Merrill Posts a Loss and Plans to Cut 2,900 More Jobs
By LOUISE STORY
Merrill Lynch & Company, the investment bank, posted a loss on Thursday and announced that it would cut about 4,000 jobs by the end of the year.
The 4,000 layoffs include 1,100 jobs — mostly in mortgage-related businesses — that have already been cut this year.
The bank reported worse-than-expected earnings for the first quarter, including $6.5 billion in write-downs and adjustments to assets in its mortgage, leveraged finance and other assets. The write-downs bring Merrill’s total in the last three quarters to more than $30 billion.
Merrill said in its earnings release that it had lost $1.96 billion or $2.19 a share, after its write-downs, in the first three months, down from a profit of $2.106 billion or $2.26 a share in the same period a year ago.
Analysts surveyed by Bloomberg News had expected a loss of $1.79 a share.
Merrill’s revenue, including interest and dividends, was $2.9 billion — down 69 percent from a year ago.
The job cuts will come from the company’s global markets and investment banking division, which includes fixed income, currency, commodity and equity trading as well as banking. That part of the bank recorded a pretax loss of $4 billion this quarter and negative revenue of $690 million. The layoffs will save $800 million a year in compensation expenses, the bank said. The jobs cuts represent 10 percent of the bank’s work force excluding financial advisers and investment associates.
When asked about additional layoffs, John A. Thain, chairman and chief executive of Merrill Lynch, said in an interview, “I think 4,000 is enough for the environment we’re in today.”
He said that Merrill was reacting to the downturn not only with job cuts but also by deleveraging its assets.
Bank executives warned on Thursday that Merrill could continue to struggle as the broader economic downturn continues.
In the interview, Mr. Thain sounded a more negative note on the economy than some of his Wall Street colleagues, saying he did not think the downturn was near its bottom.
“So far the slowdown has been finance-driven,” Mr. Thain said. “What we haven’t seen yet is the impact on the consumer of falling house prices, rising energy prices, higher food prices and higher unemployment.”
The recession, he said, is going to move from being a finance-driven problem to a consumer-driven one, and Merrill may continue to struggle as a result.
But Mr. Thain said the bank was on solid footing; it has raised more than $12 billion in fresh capital, including some from sovereign wealth funds that manage funds for foreign governments.
The market, however, initially reacted negatively. Merrill’s shares fell $2 or 4.6 percent, in pre-market trading but were up more than 2 percent in afternoon trading.
Meanwhile, Moody’s Investors Service placed the bank’s long-term debt on review for a possible downgrade. The ratings agency predicted that Merrill Lynch would be forced to lower the value of its mortgage assets known as collateralized debt obligations by an additional $6 billion. Merrill marked down the values of bonds and other assets it owned by $27.4 billion last year, mostly related to the meltdown in the subprime mortgage market.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/business/17cnd-merrill.html?_r=1&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

NYC is crazy. Since I've been in Boston we've bought (in NYC) a $1 billion office building in 10 days, lost out on the GM building and are looking at a hotel/condo redevelopment downtown worth another $1 billion. All this while Wall St is shedding thousands and thousands of jobs. Crazy.

codo's to Darla on her compasion.
yes thousands of finance people are losing jobs accross the country.

USGED the unemployment rate may actually spike to 3% from 2% for the group.

I'm amazed but should be at the sheer volume of juvinille post you make with zero value added.:clink:

Darla says....

"One thing I’m very happy about here in NY, where the job market is very depressed and getting worse,......"

VERY depressed ?
Really?
I just looked it up .. as of March 2008, it is 5.1%.......

That rate is normally considered 'full employment'....and a very satisfactory number....or is that only when Dims are in the White House?

Darla says....

"One thing I’m very happy about here in NY, where the job market is very depressed and getting worse,......"

VERY depressed ?
Really?
I just looked it up .. as of March 2008, it is 5.1%.......

That rate is normally considered 'full employment'....and a very satisfactory number....or is that only when Dims are in the White House?

5.1 percent employment. Haven't you idiots figured out why this number is deceptively low despite the fact that our economy is in negative growth?

Can you live in New York working in a McDonalds "manufacturing" job? Probably not on what you'd be earning.

5.1 percent employment. Haven't you idiots figured out why this number is deceptively low despite the fact that our economy is in negative growth?

Can you live in New York working in a McDonalds "manufacturing" job? Probably not on what you'd be earning.

Its curious that low unemployment figures are so 'deceptive' when the R's are in the White House and yet don't deceive us at all when the Dims are in.....:321:

Its curious that low unemployment figures are so 'deceptive' when the R's are in the White House and yet don't deceive us at all when the Dims are in.....:321:

Not really that curious, actually. The '90's defined prosperity on all levels, using any economic criteria. The '90's were the proverbial waters that lifted all boats.

Only fools and hacks (pick either, bravo) would say the same about the current economic circumstances. It's no secret that jobs have been downgraded, and wages aren't even coming close to keeping up with the costs of energy, housing, education & healthcare. Only fools & hacks would try to compare this economy in any way, shape or form to what we experience in the '90's.

Not really that curious, actually. The '90's defined prosperity on all levels, using any economic criteria. The '90's were the proverbial waters that lifted all boats.

Only fools and hacks (pick either, bravo) would say the same about the current economic circumstances. It's no secret that jobs have been downgraded, and wages aren't even coming close to keeping up with the costs of energy, housing, education & healthcare. Only fools & hacks would try to compare this economy in any way, shape or form to what we experience in the '90's.

Using the same criteria that we've been using for the past 50 years in an even handed way will show that the past 6+ years the economy has performed just fine....theres no legitimate reason to compare it only to the Clinton years or to the Carter years or any other particular era
.....even as the figures showed 4.3 % unemployment the Dims complained about how 'bad' the economy was by cherry picking some tiny segment that was doing poorly to prove their lie...which was reported and repeated ad nauseam as fact....

"It's no secret that jobs have been downgraded, and wages aren't even coming close to keeping up with the costs of energy, housing, education & healthcare"?

Bullshit....this statement it these exact words have been uttered all over the US for the past 50+ years and mean no more today than they did in 1960.....

We put up with 20% interest rates and 13% inflation under Carter and we'll find a way to put up with 120 dollar oil too.....
All we need do is drill for the fuckin' stuff on our own land and off our own coasts and stop letting the OPEC nations bleed us....think about who is preventing that little scenario

yeah with 30% plus inflation on energy and about the same deflation on the dollar. about 15-20% on food.
good times for sure :cheer:

Spoken like a true hack.

Tell me, hack - how much of our energy needs would domestic drilling fulfill, and in what timeframe?

About 5 yrs to bring any new field to the pumps.

Hey! I was hoping bravo would figure it out, or throw out some made up figure.

I have heard closer to 10, and that's only to fulfill a fairly small % of our overall needs. It would make a very small dent in our dependence on foreign oil.

But guys like bravo won't even consider the alts, because they're "liberal"

Spoken like a true hack.

Tell me, hack - how much of our energy needs would domestic drilling fulfill, and in what timeframe?

IMO, most of our needs but we needed to start 40+ years ago when we first got a taste of gas lines and gas stations running out of gas while tankers lay at anchor off the fuckin coast...and the morons in DC seemed oblivious to rational thinking and planing for our countrys future.....

So the "timeframe"? Shit ... we have yet to start because of the same type of morons in DC....so get prepared to suffer....as you also prepare to vote for more of the very same type....:pke:

When China starts drilling off the coast of Mexico and maybe Russia helps the Cubans sink some wells 50 miles from Fla...maybe you will open your eyes, ......maybe

Last edited:
5 years would be an easy field. Heck the supposed new gulf oil is so deep they will have to develop new methods I think.

drilling off the coast of FL would be the first logical step. not deep and the infrastructure is pretty much in place.

but then the cons join the libs in the not in my back yard routine.

IMO, most of our needs but we needed to start 40+ years ago when we first got a taste of gas lines and gas stations running out of gas while tankers lay at anchor off the fuckin coast...and the morons in DC seemed oblivious to rational thinking and planing for our countrys future.....

So the "timeframe"? Shit ... we have yet to start because of the same type of morons in DC....so get prepared to suffer....as you also prepare to vote for more of the very same type....:pke:

You vote for McSame if you want to, I am not.

"IMO, most of our needs "

Oh, IN YOUR OPINION. Well, that certainly settles the matter.

Why don't you check out what some in the industry estimate before you go making an idiot out of yourself again?

I'd be glad to discuss/debate this with you tomorrow Onceler. I can't now because I drank to much (and came home f'ing solo) however if receptionist making $80K PLUS stock options is the norm (which happened in the late '90's) please tell me where to go.

Back