Most people don't realize this...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
But Colorado was the first state to institute Martin Luther King Day as a holiday.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was born on January 15th, 1929. Although they will celebrate that day on Monday, it is today that we will be celebrating.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk"]YouTube - Martin Luther King "I have a dream"[/ame]

While MLK was certainly not a man without faults, it is his mainstream message that is celebrated, and I can think of few other true Americans that deserve to have a holiday more than him.
Like Washington? Lincoln? Jefferson?

Southern Man. I know that Dr. King has been romanticized by a lot of the media and the uninformed. We both know that his life was full of a variety of indiscretions, bohemian sexual behavior, and scandals but that does not detract from his overall positive impact on race relations.

And just as a word to the wise, Stormfront is not a particularly reliable source for this information. Some of what they show on that site can be confirmed via other sources, but some has no apparent basing in reality.

Southern Man. I know that Dr. King has been romanticized by a lot of the media and the uninformed. We both know that his life was full of a variety of indiscretions, bohemian sexual behavior, and scandals but that does not detract from his overall positive impact on race relations.

If celebrating race relations were the issue then we should have a holiday for Lincoln, as well as the legislators who sponsored civil rights legislation in 1868, 1875, 1957, 1960, 1964, and 1968.

Apparently the reason we honor MLK is for some other purpose.

If celebrating race relations were the issue then we should have a holiday for Lincoln, as well as the legislators who sponsored civil rights legislation in 1868, 1875, 1957, 1960, 1964, and 1968.

Apparently the reason we honor MLK is for some other purpose.

We do have a holiday for Lincoln. It is called President's Day, and it celebrates both Washington and Lincoln.

We do have a holiday for Lincoln. It is called President's Day, and it celebrates both Washington and Lincoln.
We used to have holidays for both these great presidents, and now in my kids school system we don't even have President's day, as it was nix'd to make room for MLK, who ranks well below the two he displaced.

One wonders if MLK would be so honored had he been white.

But Colorado was the first state to institute Martin Luther King Day as a holiday.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was born on January 15th, 1929. Although they will celebrate that day on Monday, it is today that we will be celebrating.

I realize it .. and I recognize that Colorado has been one of the most progressive states in America when it comes to race relations.

I also recognize that the leaders of both the Colorado state House and Senate are African-Americans even though the state has a small black population.

I not only recognize these truths, I write and speak about them often.

I realize it .. and I recognize that Colorado has been one of the most progressive states in America when it comes to race relations.

I also recognize that the leaders of both the Colorado state House and Senate are African-Americans even though the state has a small black population.

I not only recognize these truths, I write and speak about them often.
Which is cool.

The thing of it is, it really won't be over, the dream he spoke of finally fulfilled, until it isn't such an event when somebody gets elected to office simply because of their pigmentation.

So much of an event that flaws and humanity of our new leader seems forgotten in the mythology of a newly elected officeholder. That speaking out becomes some sort of unspoken societal "evil".

You have not been one effected that way. That is a good thing, IMO.

Back