Moving On From Heller

I agree that a city with a de facto ban on firearms through the use of gun free school zones and the like may be overturned. Then again, if you look a the so-called "Erogenous Zoning" cases, the Supreme Court has routinely upheld restrictive zoning ordinances to prohibit sex-based businesses in close proximity to churches and schools as reasonable "time, place or manner" restrictions on speech. It may end up the same with Gun Free Zones.
The problem with gun free zones is they cover an area which significantly exceeds the definition of "close proximity". A regulation forbidding construction of a firearm range within three miles of a school would be reasonable, as is the restriction against discharging any firearm (except in self defense) in city limits. But the prohibition of even carrying a firearm in gun free zones is not reasonable, and does not accomplish any demonstrable purpose.

I heard on the radio last night that, based on the Heller decision, suits against the gun control laws of Chicago and San Francisco have already been filed.

Now THAT is what I call "Moving On from Heller"!
:clink:

Back