My hope for the future of the American Conservative Christian Church

Jarod's OP really deserves a groan. I notice it is time stamped just as my very conservative Christian congregation was assembling for morning services yesterday. My sermon yesterday morning would have been I welcomed in 90% of the "conservative" Christian religious places in this country as I talked about self proclaimed Christians who do not act like Christians and by doing so tarnish the name we are to uphold. My sermon last night would have really stepped on the toes of many who have eaten from the trough of liberalism as well as I used Proverbs 22:28 (Do not remove the ancient landmark Which your fathers have set.) and talked about what Jarod often celebrates; the moral decay that has taken place in our country because we have "removed landmarks" that we're never intended to be moved.

In a community of a couple hundred people, we had nearly 60 yesterday morning, with folks driving as far as 40 miles to be there morning and evening. The group of conservative Christians across the road has about 60 as well. I don't think our buildings will be looking like that for a while. But, sadly, that will be the end of all such buildings if the earth stands long enough.

you have to keep in mind that Garud is always running into these 'stereotypes'... he always 'knows' them or has 'heard' them. In other words, Garud makes up a lot of situations to fit the stereotypes that he wants to bash. He is an idiot on par with Desh.

With no moral absolutes, there is no right, or wrong, your argument is defeated. Yes I would be wrong to steal!

Yes I would be justified to kill the man trying to kill my family, my family was entrusted to me by God!

So, sometimes it's okay to take life, but it's never okay to steal... Even if the stealing is done to preserve life?

Is this what you mean by moral absolute?

As one who grew up Baptist Christian here is what I think about the Christian conservative faith: homophobic, racist, and sexist.

While there are certainly some that call themselves Christian that are indeed fitting of the above description, I think you will find they are the very vocal minority.

It was conservatives like the Westboro Baptist Church that protested at the funerals of our dead soldiers.

That is hardly a 'conservative' church. That is a bunch of radical nuts.

It was conservatives like Harold Camping predicting the doom of the Earth.

There are radicals from left to right that do the same. They are a small minority... albeit very vocal in some cases.

I don't care how long conservatives drive to your church, I can say without restraint or remorse that I hate every single conservative Christian's beliefs with passion and fierceness because I think the average conservative Christian makes the loving teachings of Jesus perverse and hateful. I would never step foot in your church even if Jesus himself asked me to. I wouldn't even piss on your church to put a fire out that is how much I hate conservative Christian philosophies.

Keep in mind that Leaning is probably one of the most tolerant/forgiving/even handed people on this board. While I share some of your views on radical 'Christians', I would urge you to reconsider your views towards Leaning and the church he preaches at.

I've had conservatives come up to me on the streets to preach to me and without disrespecting them I've kindly told conservatives I'm not interested and that I'm agnostic and I was told "you're a son of Satan and you'll burn in hell." Yes very passionate and loving philosophies of Jesus. If Jesus came to me and asked me "why did you turn away from me" I'll point to Christian schims and the various confusing philosophies of Christendom. I'll reference the Crusades and that rhetorical phrase "God wills it!" I'll point to the conservative Christians who stood by idle as many of my relatives were hung from trees or the multitude of humans shipped and docked on the shores of West Virginia in the 1600's. I'll point out the actions of the gunman who gunned down innocent Christians and Jews and defiantly yelled "Heil Hitler" as he was carted away in a police cruiser. No, I honestly and sincerely hate your faith.

Would you want to be judged based on extremists within any groups/segments of society that you are a par of? Think about, if you will, how you feel when a black person gets pulled over for 'driving while black'. Hating an entire faith due to bad encounters with some of that faiths extremists?

just my two cents.

There are rights and wrongs even if there are not moral absolutes.

A moral absolute says that lying, killing, stealing, etc., are wrong no matter the circumstances, so killing, if it is moral absolute is wrong under any circumstances.

I don't believe you understand the concept of moral absolutism.

Is robbing someone always wrong

There are rights and wrongs even if there are not moral absolutes.

A moral absolute says that lying, killing, stealing, etc., are wrong no matter the circumstances, so killing, if it is moral absolute is wrong under any circumstances.

I don't believe you understand the concept of moral absolutism.

No murder would be, defending my family against a criminal would not be murder.

Robbery is a crime in our society. Do you understand what a moral absolute is? If you came and robbed my house because your children are starving and you had no other means of getting food for them is it morally wrong?

If a man entered your home and threatened to kill your family is it morally right for you to shoot that person?

1 - Yes it is wrong
2 - Yes it is right

Exactly what you think!

What are you moral absolutes? If not killing, then what? Is torture? Rape? Stealing? What are those things that you do that no matter the reason are absolutely, morally wrong?

Obviously you feel stealing is never right, but that killing someone is in certain circumstances, is, so why don't you start by telling us what you feel is moral absolutism. Thanks

Is robbing someone always wrong

No, like I stated, if my children were starving and there was no other way for me to obtain food for them, except by stealing it, I would steal the food to feed my children. I think it would be the morally right thing for me to do.

No, like I stated, if my children were starving and there was no other way for me to obtain food for them, except by stealing it, I would steal the food to feed my children. I think it would be the morally right thing for me to do.

So your morality allows you to take what others may need and you would allow the people you steal from to starve.

So does satelites falling out if the sky. Point is its not intentional.

Bad analogy, bombs are dropped with the intent to kill, satellites falling from the sky is an accident, bombing in war is incidental with the thought that innocents will be killed, but too bad, it is just one of the nasty by products of war, collateral damage.

Back