N.O.W. says Ted Kennedy guilty of "the ultimate betrayal"!!!

Little-Acorn

To all of you who were thinking "It's about time they told Kennedy off for leaving Mary Jo to drown in his car while he headed home for a warm bed", hold your horses. That's not what the N.O.W. gang was talking about. No, they're ooutraged that he endorsed a Presidential candidate who wasn't female.

Yes, I'm serious. THAT'S what has upset the N.O.W. gang. Not the years of philandering and skirt-chasing, public humiliation of his wife, or even the callous killing of a woman in his car while he was driving drunk. Those things are apparently OK with the N.O.W. gang - no big deal, really.

But when he has the gall to endorse Barack Obama instead of Hillary Clinton... just look at the N.O.W. gang's reaction!

----------------------------------

Press release from the National Organization for Women, New York chapter:

“Women have just experienced the ultimate betrayal. Senator Kennedy’s endorsement of Hillary Clinton’s opponent in the Democratic presidential primary campaign has really hit women hard. Women have forgiven Kennedy, stuck up for him, stood by him, hushed the fact that he was late in his support of Title IX, the ERA, the Family Leave and Medical Act to name a few. Women have buried their anger that his support for the compromises in No Child Left Behind and the Medicare bogus drug benefit brought us the passage of these flawed bills. We have thanked him for his ardent support of many civil rights bills, BUT women are always waiting in the wings.

“And now the greatest betrayal! We are repaid with his abandonment! He’s picked the new guy over us. He’s joined the list of progressive white men who can’t or won’t handle the prospect of a woman president who is Hillary Clinton (they will of course say they support a woman president, just not “this” one). ‘They’ are Howard Dean and Jim Dean (Yup! That’s Howard’s brother) who run DFA (that’s the group and list from the Dean campaign that we women helped start and grow). They are Alternet, Progressive Democrats of America, democrats.com, Kucinich lovers and all the other groups that take women’s money, say they’ll do feminist and women’s rights issues one of these days, and conveniently forget to mention women and children when they talk about poverty or human needs or America’s future or whatever.

read the rest and comments..
http://blogs.timesunion.com/capitol/?p=6285

-----------------------------------------------

We'd like to ask Mary Jo Kopechne if this is really Ted's worst act of "abandonment". But Mary Jo isn't available.

You can't make this stuff up, folks. :shock:

Poor old NOW they have been betrayed because Kennedy chose non divisive Obama over the women who will resurect the Republican party and get out the anti Hilary vote even if a Republican they don't like is running. Boo fucking hoo. Time to pull up their big girl panties and understand the realism of politics.

To all of you who were thinking "It's about time they told Kennedy off for leaving Mary Jo to drown in his car while he headed home for a warm bed", hold your horses. That's not what the N.O.W. gang was talking about. No, they're ooutraged that he endorsed a Presidential candidate who wasn't female.

Yes, I'm serious. THAT'S what has upset the N.O.W. gang. Not the years of philandering and skirt-chasing, public humiliation of his wife, or even the callous killing of a woman in his car while he was driving drunk. Those things are apparently OK with the N.O.W. gang - no big deal, really.

But when he has the gall to endorse Barack Obama instead of Hillary Clinton... just look at the N.O.W. gang's reaction!

“Women have just experienced the ultimate betrayal. Senator Kennedy’s endorsement of Hillary Clinton’s opponent in the Democratic presidential primary campaign has really hit women hard. Women have forgiven Kennedy, stuck up for him, stood by him, hushed the fact that he was late in his support of Title IX, the ERA, the Family Leave and Medical Act to name a few. Women have buried their anger that his support for the compromises in No Child Left Behind and the Medicare bogus drug benefit brought us the passage of these flawed bills. We have thanked him for his ardent support of many civil rights bills, BUT women are always waiting in the wings.

“And now the greatest betrayal! We are repaid with his abandonment! He’s picked the new guy over us. He’s joined the list of progressive white men who can’t or won’t handle the prospect of a woman president who is Hillary Clinton (they will of course say they support a woman president, just not “this” one). ‘They’ are Howard Dean and Jim Dean (Yup! That’s Howard’s brother) who run DFA (that’s the group and list from the Dean campaign that we women helped start and grow). They are Alternet, Progressive Democrats of America, democrats.com, Kucinich lovers and all the other groups that take women’s money, say they’ll do feminist and women’s rights issues one of these days, and conveniently forget to mention women and children when they talk about poverty or human needs or America’s future or whatever.

We'd like to ask Mary Jo Kopechne if this is really Ted's worst act of "abandonment". But Mary Jo isn't available.

So does that apply to Caroline Kennedy?

Are all women supposed to be committed to Hillary or be seen as "traitors?"

"picked the new guy over us. He’s joined the list of progressive white men who can’t or won’t handle the prospect of a woman president who is Hillary Clinton"

Is this NOW's official stance, or just a message board comment from a member?

If it's official, it's absolutely ridiculous. They're saying that we should support ANY woman who runs for President, no matter how unqualified, incompetent or divisive she is. All that matters is that she is a woman; that's it.

If that's why you are choosing Hillary, do everyone a favor, and do not vote. You are not qualified.

All that matters is that she is a woman; that's it.
What's really ironic is, being female (a characteristic that should be completely unimportant) is Hillary's best trait. Everything other thing you can say about her, is worse.

Maybe the N.O.W. gang has a point? Though not necessarily the one they thought they were making?

I just checked this; this was a message board comment, and whoever posted it was pretty well lambasted.

Someone even thought it was phony, to portray NOW in a worse light...

Nice to hear that you are concerned about NOW's opinion.

This seems suspect to me. And your link doesn't work.

First, the Family and Medical Leave Act is not the Family Leave and Medical Act and Kennedy was a cosponsor of the bill from the date of its introduction.

What's really ironic is, being female (a characteristic that should be completely unimportant) is Hillary's best trait. Everything other thing you can say about her, is worse.

Maybe the N.O.W. gang has a point? Though not necessarily the one they thought they were making?

What a fucking sleaze.

I didn't anything on now.org that suggested that this is representative of their or their official response to Ted Kennedy's endorsement. When you can provide a link which does state this linked directly to the organizations leader or on their site, I'll humor this topic. Until then.....move it along.

I don't see this anywhere on NOW's site, NOW's NY chapter site, or any other NOW Press Release.

This kind of disingenuity could make Cypress blush.

I'm just annoyed that the link to the blogspot doesn't work. I'd love to see other stories from such an accurate blogger...

Wrongo oh great Kahuna, I spoke of him NOT being bitchslapped by lefties because they are not as mean as righties.

You’re wrong, I’m that mean. I erased about 5 posts I wrote for this thread, most directed at him, one at Onceler, though the one at Onceler wasn’t “mean” but I can’t even be bothered anymore.

People say I am holier than thou or on my soapbox, what’s the point of bothering? But I did call him a fucking sleazebag, and he got off easy as far as I’m concerned.

Back