natural and man made disasters

Too many seams/joints/ Expanasion and contraction, etc.

yes materials and construction. I would check with existing owners of the one you want though.

I have visited several.

One of which survived a direct hit by Ivan.

Hmm I wonder why they don'ty make geodesic mobile homes ?

Just bolt the 2 halves together and bolt em down.

Well modular actually.

Well modular actually.

I think it could be done quite well. Let me know if you want to start a company making and selling them. I'll join in.

Well modular actually.

Hmm, you could stack a butt load of sections Pringles style on the back of a flat bed...

Hmm, you could stack a butt load of sections Pringles style on the back of a flat bed...

The entire structure is made up of smaller triangles that are connected. This is part of why the structure is so strong.

Also, no interior wall carries a load. The weight of the upper floors is carried by the outer walls. So the interior design can be anything from a honeycomb of smaller enclosed space to a single large interior space.

A dome will have roughly 30% less exterior surface area for the same square footage on the interior, compared to a standard square house.

That means 30% less surface area to lose or gain heat.

Yeah just kinda hard to find curved beds and sofas to match the curvature of the dome.

Nah, you just have to be better at placing the furniture.

The inside walls are straight, so you have that to reference the rest of the room by.

not the outside walls.

No, the outside walls will be curved.

The places I have seen decorated centered the furniture in larger rooms and used the curved walls as a boundary for the open spaces.

It sounds weird but it worked.

It won't be as easy to arrange furniture, but thats a trade-off I am willing to make.

Besides, I plan to make the 2nd floor one big open space, then blindfold my daughter and tell her to go stand in the corner.

No, the outside walls will be curved.

The places I have seen decorated centered the furniture in larger rooms and used the curved walls as a boundary for the open spaces.

It sounds weird but it worked.

It won't be as easy to arrange furniture, but thats a trade-off I am willing to make.

Besides, I plan to make the 2nd floor one big open space, then blindfold my daughter and tell her to go stand in the corner.

LOL on the stand in the corner.

My friends was a basement and 3 levels inside the dome. His top one was open as well. A highway came thru and bought his , boy was he glad. Like I said it was a leak a week.

The pilots in the area used it as a landmark they called it "the basketball".

do the codes allow for no outlets on the outside wall in the top ? Or does you design allow for electrical in the dome "walls" ?

LOL on the stand in the corner.

My friends was a basement and 3 levels inside the dome. His top one was open as well. A highway came thru and bought his , boy was he glad. Like I said it was a leak a week.

The pilots in the area used it as a landmark they called it "the basketball".

do the codes allow for no outlets on the outside wall in the top ? Or does you design allow for electrical in the dome "walls" ?

The dome shell and the inner walls have a space to allow for wiring, plumbing and the like. In fact, you want your wiring in the outer walls so the interior walls can be removed easily if you want to redesign the interior.

The dome shell and the inner walls have a space to allow for wiring, plumbing and the like. In fact, you want your wiring in the outer walls so the interior walls can be removed easily if you want to redesign the interior.

Cool sounds much better than the one I speak of about 25 years ago.

They have come a long way.

Either that or they have way better advertising and I just got very lucky on the ones I visited. (or unlucky)

They are neat, but so untraditional. You will have to get a little geo doggie house as well.

To have a house without flat planes on the roof....
how do you run chimneys / flues out of them ?

They are neat, but so untraditional. You will have to get a little geo doggie house as well.

To have a house without flat planes on the roof....
how do you run chimneys / flues out of them ?

I had an little doggie igloo for my last dog.

Flues are round anyway, so you just run them thru one triangle and seal as you would anything else. Its the same with plumbing vents.

Back