Nestle refused FDA information

uscitizen

Villified User
Nestle refused FDA information, reports show

Jun 26, 2:21 PM (ET)

By LAUREN SHEPHERD

NEW YORK (AP) - Inspection reports from a Nestle USA cookie dough factory released Friday show the company refused several times to provide Food and Drug Administration inspectors with complaint logs, pest-control records and other information.

The records, which date back to 2004, were made public after Nestle's Toll House refrigerated, prepackaged cookie dough was discovered to be the likely culprit in an E. coli outbreak that has sickened 69 people in 29 states, according to the latest estimates from the federal Centers for Disease Control. The CDC is investigating the outbreak along with the FDA.

Nestle voluntarily recalled all Toll House refrigerated cookie dough products made at the Danville, Va., factory late last week after the FDA informed the company it suspected consumers may have been exposed to E. coli bacteria after eating the dough raw.

According to the reports released by the FDA, the company refused to allow FDA investigators access to certain documents in at least 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090626/D992H3AO0.html

What do libertarians have to say about the FDA when this stuff happens?

that anyone supposedly infected with nestle cookie dough should be allowed to file a lawsuit, demand AND GET all discovery information, and let a jury decide how much the company should pay in damages whether it closes the company down or not.

I've heard Libertarians argue that the FDA causes deaths more deaths than it prevents. No, seriously.

IMHO, the only time the FDA causes deaths is when it's in a deregulation mode.

that anyone supposedly infected with nestle cookie dough should be allowed to file a lawsuit, demand AND GET all discovery information, and let a jury decide how much the company should pay in damages whether it closes the company down or not.

We need to prevent people from dying, not possibly give victims families an indeterminate amount of money 50 years after the fact.

Thankyou for smoking said:
"Dad, what's the greatest thing about America?"

"Our endless appeals system."

So libertarians promote lawsuits?

Nestle refused FDA information, reports show

Jun 26, 2:21 PM (ET)

By LAUREN SHEPHERD

NEW YORK (AP) - Inspection reports from a Nestle USA cookie dough factory released Friday show the company refused several times to provide Food and Drug Administration inspectors with complaint logs, pest-control records and other information.

The records, which date back to 2004, were made public after Nestle's Toll House refrigerated, prepackaged cookie dough was discovered to be the likely culprit in an E. coli outbreak that has sickened 69 people in 29 states, according to the latest estimates from the federal Centers for Disease Control. The CDC is investigating the outbreak along with the FDA.

Nestle voluntarily recalled all Toll House refrigerated cookie dough products made at the Danville, Va., factory late last week after the FDA informed the company it suspected consumers may have been exposed to E. coli bacteria after eating the dough raw.

According to the reports released by the FDA, the company refused to allow FDA investigators access to certain documents in at least 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090626/D992H3AO0.html

It's been my experience that public health inspectors can walk into the kitchen of a restaurant unannounced, make and inspection, and if the labs corroborated their suspicions, that restaurant was shut down. Pity that the FDA does not have the same power.

Once again, corporations/companies are given leeway that results in the public losing out.

The Republican governor of KY gave county health departments in KY the power to ban smoking in all public buildings, public and private businesses as well.

I've heard Libertarians argue that the FDA causes deaths more deaths than it prevents. No, seriously.

IMHO, the only time the FDA causes deaths is when it's in a deregulation mode.

It probably does, by delaying the availability new life-saving drugs. It's sort of a bizarre argument and I'm not sure that I would make it but it's possible that it's true.

It's been my experience that public health inspectors can walk into the kitchen of a restaurant unannounced, make and inspection, and if the labs corroborated their suspicions, that restaurant was shut down. Pity that the FDA does not have the same power.

Once again, corporations/companies are given leeway that results in the public losing out.
It's a food processing plant. Not a restaurant. You just don't walk into one and pull on "off-switch". It don't work that way.

What do libertarians have to say about the FDA when this stuff happens?

that it's a joke and waste of money. Why not require every food producer to employ a food expert or team of experts who will be liable for their work? We don't need the useless government that pretends to offer protection, let's make the people in charge responsible personally so they do their jobs instead of dodging the FDA. This system works for construction, and other fields. Why do we need the FDA again?

I seriously doubt you can form an argument so I await your name calling and rep point abuse.

that it's a joke and waste of money. Why not require every food producer to employ a food expert or team of experts who will be liable for their work? We don't need the useless government that pretends to offer protection, let's make the people in charge responsible personally so they do their jobs instead of dodging the FDA. This system works for construction, and other fields. Why do we need the FDA again?

I seriously doubt you can form an argument so I await your name calling and rep point abuse.

That's the most retarded suggestion ever.

First of all, there's nobody who would take that job. They'd be retarded if they did.

Secondly, you need national safety standards to enforce or you wind up with the retards in Alabama poisoning the smart people in Maine. Then you need an agency to enforce it -- it's not enough to give people legal recourse after they've ALREADY DIED. You need to keep them from being killed to begin with.

It's a food processing plant. Not a restaurant. You just don't walk into one and pull on "off-switch". It don't work that way.

Ahhh, but if said plant managers/executives refuse to pony up the proper documents the feds should have the power to pull the "off-switch". Maybe if they did, the current fiasco could have been avoided.

First of all, there's nobody who would take that job. They'd be retarded if they did.

Secondly, you need national safety standards to enforce or you wind up with the retards in Alabama poisoning the smart people in Maine. Then you need an agency to enforce it -- it's not enough to give people legal recourse after they've ALREADY DIED. You need to keep them from being killed to begin with.

Fail. It's a decent suggestion and while it's not one of my personal priorities you certainly show no reason why the current system is better.

Why dodge the FDA if you have nothing to hide?

It has been proven time and again that industry will not regulate itself for the consumers safety.

you just hate the idea because it doesn't require a government inspection.

Why dodge the FDA if you have nothing to hide?

It has been proven time and again that industry will not regulate itself for the consumers safety.

why the hell should they regulate themselves? as it stands, there's little to no accountability because you're government seated courts have decreed that companies cannot be sued out of existence.

Back