New Pasta Recipe

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
I was experimenting in the kitchen Saturday and created a pasta dish that rocked. That is if you really like mushrooms. I used orechiette pasta, though conchiglie (small shells) would have worked too.

Cooked a 16 0z box of orechiette pasta till eldente. Tossed it with two lbs of grilled chicken breast cut to bite size pieces and with a mushroom, spinach cream sauce. I used 8 oz of fresh crimini mushrooms and 1 oz of dried shiitake's reconstituted with 2 cups boiling water. I sweated a 6 oz pack of baby spinach till most of water was gone, then added a cup of onion, tsp of minced garlic, 8 oz pack of crimini's. Sautéed till onions began to carmilize, added 1 tbs flour and cooked about 2 minutes more. Then to make the sauce I added the reconstituted crimini's (with the soaking water) and a cup of chicken stock and stirred till it thickened. Than I added 1x 6 oz tubn of marscapone cheese. Stirred till cheese melted. Seasoned sauce, then poured over pasta and chicken and tossed.

If you're a big fan of mushrooms you'll love this dish.

It's a very basic ragu recipe. Sure looks like a tasty weeknight pasta dish. You can replace the lamp with pretty much any ground meat. Veal, sirloin, chuck, pork, etc. No way in hell I'm using albino puke. I'm going to use real cream or cheese.

I like braised lamp shanks served on garlic mashed potatoes and served with sweet peas. I de-fat the braising liquid and reduce it to a sauce. Mmm Mmm good.

image.png

LOL I should be too! If I cooked like this all the time I'd be as big as a house. I enjoy experimenting with food. I don't have to many flops.

I have been experimenting with healthier dishes this summer. Doing some good. My garden is producing big time so I have plenty of fresh produce to play with. I've lost 20 pounds since May and am going to try to lose 20 more. I only allow myself pasta dishes once every 2-3 weeks. Bread isn't a problem as I'm not a big bread eater but I love pasta of all kinds. Hard for me to not keep going back for that "one last" fork full.

Absolutely, Bill. I have one plant at the end of my garden and it's producing moe than the wife and I can eat. The first year I planted spaghetti squash I had 4 plants and we had it coming out our ears...supplied everyone at church. Good stuff.

Absolutely, Bill. I have one plant at the end of my garden and it's producing moe than the wife and I can eat. The first year I planted spaghetti squash I had 4 plants and we had it coming out our ears...supplied everyone at church. Good stuff.

Good thing about it & butternut is they will last along time.. I usually leave my butternut out in the garden until I am ready to eat it..

I like braised lamp shanks served on garlic mashed potatoes and served with sweet peas. I de-fat the braising liquid and reduce it to a sauce. Mmm Mmm good.

That's a perfect meal for this kind of weather...do you ever make Sunday Sauce (gravy) and Braised Italian beef/meatballs? Another good cold weather meal and worth all the work!
I have a base recipe that I can share, but it's one of those make it your own recipes, if you know what I mean...
so what are you calling your mushroom/marscapone creation? It sounds delicious!
(If you haven't tried this, put it on your list of must make for 2018... North Market for duck fat. Potatoes, fry...just saying)

Back