Newly registered voters

evince

Truthmatters
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27044302

the past year, the rolls have expanded by about 4 million voters in a dozen key states -- 11 Obama targets that were carried by George W. Bush in 2004 (Ohio, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, Missouri, Colorado, Iowa, Nevada and New Mexico) plus Pennsylvania, the largest state carried by Sen. John F. Kerry that Sen. John McCain is targeting.

In Florida, Democratic registration gains this year are more than double those made by Republicans; in Colorado and Nevada the ratio is 4 to 1, and in North Carolina it is 6 to 1. Even in states with nonpartisan registration, the trend is clear -- of the 310,000 new voters in Virginia, a disproportionate share live in Democratic strongholds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27044302

the past year, the rolls have expanded by about 4 million voters in a dozen key states -- 11 Obama targets that were carried by George W. Bush in 2004 (Ohio, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, Missouri, Colorado, Iowa, Nevada and New Mexico) plus Pennsylvania, the largest state carried by Sen. John F. Kerry that Sen. John McCain is targeting.

In Florida, Democratic registration gains this year are more than double those made by Republicans; in Colorado and Nevada the ratio is 4 to 1, and in North Carolina it is 6 to 1. Even in states with nonpartisan registration, the trend is clear -- of the 310,000 new voters in Virginia, a disproportionate share live in Democratic strongholds.
In CO, the new voters made it so that for the first time in a very long time Republicans outnumber the Independent voters. The idea that every new voter is an Obama supporter is a mistaken ideation.

In CO, the new voters made it so that for the first time in a very long time Republicans outnumber the Independent voters. The idea that every new voter is an Obama supporter is a mistaken ideation.

Don't the stats show that the overwhelming majority of new voters nationally have registered as Democrats?

And aren't most of the new voters the result of strong efforts by the Dem primary candidates to register voters?

Don't the stats show that the overwhelming majority of new voters nationally have registered as Democrats?

And aren't most of the new voters the result of strong efforts by the Dem primary candidates to register voters?
It would depend on where. In CO, the largest voting block for the longest time has been "Independent" voters. The influx of new voters did something unexpected, it made, for the first time, Republican voters the largest voting block in the state. I have personally registered many people at the local grocery store.

Amazingly polling doesn't reflect this, and D's are weighted in the polling data as higher than the Rs. Thus, IMO, skewing the numbers towards Barack.

The overall stats are as you say, but not in every case. I only mentioned it because the story suggested such was the case in CO. I therefore gave accurate data.

It would depend on where. In CO, the largest voting block for the longest time has been "Independent" voters. The influx of new voters did something unexpected, it made, for the first time, Republican voters the largest voting block in the state. I have personally registered many people at the local grocery store.

Amazingly polling doesn't reflect this, and D's are weighted in the polling data as higher than the Rs. Thus, IMO, skewing the numbers towards Barack.

The overall stats are as you say, but not in every case. I only mentioned it because the story suggested such was the case in CO. I therefore gave accurate data.

In the article, it said that new voters in CO are Dem over GOP by a ratio of 4 to 1. Is that incorrect?

CO is the center of the universe.
It is where the access portal to the hollow earth is located.
Silly ad hominem.

CO was mentioned in the story. Because I had information that would show that specifically in one place the data was showing differently than the story implied I gave it. It is a way to add to a discussion.

In the article, it said that new voters in CO are Dem over GOP by a ratio of 4 to 1. Is that incorrect?
I believe that it is incorrect. Specifically because two voting blocks with about equal numbers before the influx of new registrations now have one larger than the other.

Previously Ds and Rs would swap places rather consistently in registration in CO, with the Independent voters always with a larger number.

"I believe that it is incorrect. Specifically because two voting blocks with about equal numbers before the influx of new registrations now have one larger than the other. "

So, because Republicans now out-number Independents...what does that have to do w/ the # of newly registered Dems?

In Colorado, which Bush won by 100,000 votes in 2004, Republicans were well in the lead for registrations at the start of the year but are now on the verge of being overtaken. By Sept. 1, Democratic registration was up by 80,000, partly because of the Democrats-only caucuses in February. That far exceeds the gain of 28,000 unaffiliated voters and 21,000 Republicans.

From the article

"I believe that it is incorrect. Specifically because two voting blocks with about equal numbers before the influx of new registrations now have one larger than the other. "

So, because Republicans now out-number Independents...what does that have to do w/ the # of newly registered Dems?
Because the numbers were relatively close before the influx of new voters, and the Ds did not surpass Independents as the Rs did (only momentarily), it pretty much shows that they are either pretty close to exactly the same, or it favors Rs in CO.

In Colorado, which Bush won by 100,000 votes in 2004, Republicans were well in the lead for registrations at the start of the year but are now on the verge of being overtaken. By Sept. 1, Democratic registration was up by 80,000, partly because of the Democrats-only caucuses in February. That far exceeds the gain of 28,000 unaffiliated voters and 21,000

From the article
Which was my point, Desh. The article on this point is inaccurate.

"Statewide, nearly 215,000 people between Jan. 1 and Sept. 1 registered as a new voter or because they moved to a different county, according to Magellan Data and Mapping Strategies in Louisville.

That's 26,000 more than in the same period in 2004.

Of those newly registered voters, 78,013 are Democrats, compared with 48,451 Republicans. New unaffiliated voters outnumber both major parties, with 85,795 registrations during that eight-month period, according to the political consulting firm"

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/30/wave-of-new-colorado-voters-registered/

BTW - Today is the last day to register in CO if you are going to vote, unless your birth date falls within this last 30 days and you are turning 18.

I've spent some hours out here registering new voters. It's been an interesting year.

I've been meaning to ask - what does IMO stand for?

Also, for USGED, the reason why it matters in CO is because it is a battleground state, and since the president is elected by the EC rather than the populous, its unique situation, compared to the national trend, matters.

THE DEMOCRAT BASE:

minorities, GED's, drop-outs, idiots and homeless....

their words , not mine...

I've been meaning to ask - what does IMO stand for?

Also, for USGED, the reason why it matters in CO is because it is a battleground state, and since the president is elected by the EC rather than the populous, its unique situation, compared to the national trend, matters.
IMO - In My Opinion.

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion.

Back