Nietzsche's argument against altruism.

if charity is real charity it helps even if the giver also gets something out of it.

Which was exactly my point. Yes.

how does the giver getting something render the charity invalid?

It doesn't make it invalid, what it does is remove it from the technical definition of "altruism" which is done solely for the benefit of another.

you're just seeking to destroy morality just like the other Nazis.

No, it's so weird that you and Cypress and Hume all seem incapable of discussing a topic dispassionately and just paying attention to the concepts. Instead you "defend" your position like Cypress and Hume by calling others names.

This is all just intellectual play time. Why are you guys so bad at this?

Nietzsche was probably mentally ill and suffering from chronic depression.

This would also account for his appeal to other mentally ill people.

I thought the historical guess was syphilis.

Which was exactly my point. Yes.

It doesn't make it invalid, what it does is remove it from the technical definition of "altruism" which is done solely for the benefit of another.

No, it's so weird that you and Cypress and Hume all seem incapable of discussing a topic dispassionately and just paying attention to the concepts. Instead you "defend" your position like Cypress and Hume by calling others names.

This is all just intellectual play time. Why are you guys so bad at this?
No it doesn't remove it from the technical definition of altruism.

word games are stupid and that's what you are too.

If the incorrigible asshole and sociopath Beethoven is supposed to be Nietzsche's ideal example of the Ubermensch concept, I think Nietzsche's philosophy becomes a hard sell and downright unappealing. Just my two cents.

If the incorrigible asshole and sociopath Beethoven is supposed to be Nietzsche's ideal example of the Ubermensch concept, I think Nietzsche's philosophy becomes a hard sell and downright unappealing. Just my two cents.

Huh....doesn't sound appealing to you? Weird.

LOL. Not really. I'm the only one who defended his position. All you wanna do is disagree without any substance. Not really into that sort of "debate". It's the game for a simpleton.
according to you the only altruism is if the giver suffers greatly.

that's idiotic anti - altruism dogshit.

I reiterate my assertion that you're just another evildoer denying the very existence of goodness.

Last edited:
I don't remember Nietzsche ever mentioning Beetoven. I think this is Leiter's own example.

I thought the historical guess was syphilis.

Yes, that is mentioned in the article, but I didn't do an autopsy so I don't personally know ; it does appear he was sick with something, and by his writings it was some sort of mental disorder as well as a physical health issue. They can be related.

Yes, that is mentioned in the article, but I didn't do an autopsy so I don't personally know ; it does appear he was sick with something, and by his writings it was some sort of mental disorder as well as a physical health issue. They can be related.

I read a book about the history of syphilis many years ago and they discussed the tendency of some historical researchers to go for "syphilis" as an explanation for any weirdness in 19th century writers/famous people. I think it more rational to be circumspect about suggesting that sort of thing unless there's a huge amount of evidence. Otherwise, as you noted, none of us are doing any autopsies.

I read a book about the history of syphilis many years ago and they discussed the tendency of some historical researchers to go for "syphilis" as an explanation for any weirdness in 19th century writers/famous people. I think it more rational to be circumspect about suggesting that sort of thing unless there's a huge amount of evidence. Otherwise, as you noted, none of us are doing any autopsies.

Yes. Some people will equate him with Hitler and his faction and hence try to use the worst rumors to smear him, but it's not intellectually honest and doesn't do much for their credibility.

Back