NO GAS IN ATLANTA

blackascoal

The Force is With Me
Atlanta is at a stand-still today as there is no gas to be found anywhere in the city.

There are drivers stranded everywhere and there is the Georgia/Alabama football game today as well as a PGA event that have thousands of visitors desperately seeking gas.

I went out looking for gas last night at 3am because I knew if I didn't find it last night I wouldn't be able to find any this morning.

Fortunately the Doraville police told me where their police cars were gassing up and I was able to fill up .. which was critical for me because I use premium, mid grade at the very least.

I'm told that even the police, fire, and emergency vehicles are scrambling for gas.

I'm also hearing that this is the case all over the southeast.

Welcome to the 3rd world

I'm hoping you'll be able to fuel up soon BAC. It would seem like a no brainer that gas sellers would be doing everything they can to get some fuel down there where they'll be able to gouge customers

I'm hoping you'll be able to fuel up soon BAC. It would seem like a no brainer that gas sellers would be doing everything they can to get some fuel down there where they'll be able to gouge customers

I found what appears to be the last gas station with premium last night and filled up to the tune of 80 dollars .. and you're right, one would think they wouldn't miss this opportunity to gouge the hell out of drivers, many of whom would pay 5 or 6 dollars a gallon just to get home.

Some people are following tanker trucks. I just saw a convoy of about 30 cars following a tanker truck.

Incredible

There has to be an army of gas trucks heading there right now. Seriously though, I really hope you'll get some fuel soon.

I want to know how this happened. Refineries being shut down in the Gulf because of the recent string of hurricanes?

image_7581901.jpg

Throughout the day, motorists across metro Atlanta waited for and, at times, ran out of, gas.

The gas shortage continued to plague metro Atlanta Saturday, with stations either out of fuel or packed with customers seeking to fill up.

Motorists reported long lines at gas stations at all hours — including the wee hours of the morning

The shortage is proving a complication for thousands of people, especially with all that’s going on this weekend: The University of Georgia home game against Top-10 rival Alabama. The 20th anniversary of the Atlanta Football Classic. The North Georgia State Fair in Marietta. The PGA Tour Championship. Auburn at home versus Tennessee.

These are just a few of the major events within a day’s drive of metro Atlanta planned for today through Sunday. But with North Georgia gas supplies spotty, will everyone be able to get where they’re going?

The gas shortage extends beyond the metro area, but has hit hardest in Atlanta, Nashville, Tenn., and the Carolinas, including the Charlotte area and the mountain towns to the west. For days it has closed civic offices, cut short workdays and even canceled community college classes.

The result is that many who initially intended to visit Atlanta this weekend have changed their plans.

Quick, follow that gas truck and step on it!
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The QT on Roswell Road was empty of gas and the usual two-block line of cars was gone.

By mid-afternoon, with the tanker truck on the horizon, cars - like sharks smelling blood - raced into the gas lanes to await the truck.

The tanker truck headed on down Roswell Road to another station somewhere. About a third of those drivers left their reserved gas pump position and headed off to follow the truck.

Unfortunately for them, it was a milk truck. I guess they look similar. Even worse, the QT truck arrived shortly the milk truck.

When the QT truck pulled in, those in their cars, got out, with credit cards in hand and lined up for the anticipated bell or whatever it is they do to signal that the pumps are active. More cars, after passing by and seeing the tanker truck, pulled in.

At this point, the drivers following the milk truck realized their error and returned to blend in with the oncoming traffic. It was at this point that I went in the store.

As I exited, the first argument had already started. Two men were yelling and screaming over who had the spot first. Everyone around them remained quiet in anticipation of the fight. After all, since you have to be there for an hour, might as well have some entertainment.
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cop/entries/2008/09/25/quick_follow_th.html

It's called Hurricanes, Pay attention. Oil production in the gulf is shut down.
Refineries in the Houston Area were shut down for a long time and even after getting up they couldn't get their employees back.

LOL

Reminds me of the 70's under Carter, shortages, long lines, and could only gas up on odd/even days depending on your license plate. Welcome to Al Gore's utopia.

Actually this is no ones utopia, this is George Bush's reality.

LOL

Yea, thanks to the democrats. They have stopped any kind of oil drilling, new facilities for the last 30 years. If you only got so many refineries and they shut down, what happens?

Just a mini preview of what happens if we get cut off from the mideast.
Addicts cut off from their supplier.

Just a mini preview of what happens if we get cut off from the mideast.
Addicts cut off from their supplier.
Which is why we need to start reducing dependency on foreign oil as fast as possible. That means using EVERY means available, to include drilling any and every place we have a hope of finding our own oil. (Yes I know you are in favor of drilling - I am speaking in general based on your remark.)

AND it means developing alternates as fast as possible. But not at the expense of setting up a never-ending policy of subsidizing alternate fuels. Subsidize the development of alternate, not the production of alternates.

The Pickens Plan has several good ideas. Our governor has some good ideas. McCain has some good ideas. And Obama has some good ideas. IMO none, by themselves, have THE answer. But, perhaps throw them all together and weed out the mutually exclusive ideas, we may come up with a real, full blown solution.

One thing is certain. We need to get off the blame game ("It' Bush's fault." "No, it's the democrats blocking drilling for 20 years." Get the hell off of finger pointing and do what many are simply giving lip service to - including McCain and Obama - work together to get things done.

One other thing is certain, we, as citizens, need to quit leaving it up to the government. We are the ones actually driving the economy with our purchase decisions. As such, we have the greatest ability to affect change by changing the way WE do things, through changing our purchase habits. (Not to mention our voting habits.)

Hey I pretty much agree with that. Especially Senator McCain working in a bi partisan manner with president Obama.

we could reduce our fuel usage by doing many things. Use a motorcycle or scooter. Stop driving back and forth to the store up the street 12 times a day. car pool. lots of other things.

how much gas in gallons does one go through in a week?
I go through 5 gallons a week using the motorcycle.

we could reduce our fuel usage by doing many things. Use a motorcycle or scooter. Stop driving back and forth to the store up the street 12 times a day. car pool. lots of other things.

how much gas in gallons does one go through in a week?
I go through 5 gallons a week using the motorcycle.

Get married, have some kids, burn some gas. You unamerican person you.

Back