Not enough illegal immigrants to go around, or we do not pay workers enough ?

but the martial law under homeland security will go well after all we have 300k (troops and mercs) or so people training for it now in Iraq.

and I keep hearing rumors of internment camps built in the us...

Leaning,
From talking to old folks, now mostly dead. I realized that in the hills of eastern KY the depression was not a great big deal as they did not have much anyway and tended to be pretty self sufficient on a small community basis.

Leaning,
From talking to old folks, now mostly dead. I realized that in the hills of eastern KY the depression was not a great big deal as they did not have much anyway and tended to be pretty self sufficient on a small community basis.

Exactly what I hear from around here. My folks talked about those years and what they did to make it. Then they would conclude that it wasn't much different than the years before. It depends on how on is used to living.

CLARKS SUMMIT, Pa. (AP) — Saying the nation's immigration system is broken, Pennsylvania's largest grower of fresh-to-market tomatoes announced he will no longer produce the crop because he can't find enough workers to harvest it.

Just another way of saying he's not offering high enough wages, after the lucrative years of paying illegal aliens $0.75/hr come to a belated close.

Instead of enforcing our laws all those years, we gave a wink and a nod, and then started robbing those people blind when we know they wouldn't call the cops on us. As a result, food prices stayed nice and low. Now that we're finally starting to obey our own laws, such willing suckers are becoming hard to find, meaning we may actually have to pay someone what the work is worth for a change. Which means we'll also have to start paying what the food is actually worth, instead of having illegals subsidize us by handing us back most of their (deserved) pay and keeping only the $0.75.

Can you imagine what automobiles would have cost for the last 20 years or so, if we had similarly let illegal aliens man the assembly lines for that same $0.75/hr instead of the $25+/hr or whatever, that the present workers get?

Since we have decided it's OK for tomato pickers to get $0.75/hr bent over for hours in the hot sun, what is our justification for not letting the same people make the same wage at a job indoors that doesn't take significantly more mental capacity and has OSHA standards for ergonometrics?

Just another way of saying he's not offering high enough wages, after the lucrative years of paying illegal aliens $0.75/hr come to a belated close.

Instead of enforcing our laws all those years, we gave a wink and a nod, and then started robbing those people blind when we know they wouldn't call the cops on us. As a result, food prices stayed nice and low. Now that we're finally starting to obey our own laws, such willing suckers are becoming hard to find, meaning we may actually have to pay someone what the work is worth for a change. Which means we'll also have to start paying what the food is actually worth, instead of having illegals subsidize us by handing us back most of their (deserved) pay and keeping only the $0.75.

Can you imagine what automobiles would have cost for the last 20 years or so, if we had similarly let illegal aliens man the assembly lines for that same $0.75/hr instead of the $25+/hr or whatever, that the present workers get?

Since we have decided it's OK for tomato pickers to get $0.75/hr bent over for hours in the hot sun, what is our justification for not letting the same people make the same wage at a job indoors that doesn't take significantly more mental capacity and has OSHA standards for ergonometrics?
We already do let them do that work, in less regulated places, and for that same $ 0.75/hour. It's called "off-shoring".

We already do let them do that work, in less regulated places, and for that same $ 0.75/hour. It's called "off-shoring".

The question remains. If we call it OK to pay tomato pickers that little, where do we get off bitching about paying circuit board assemblers the same amount, whether we hand them the paycheck here or mail it to India?

Or could it be that maybe paying illegals that much to pick tomatoes, is a BAD thing? Now, why might that be?

laws about seatbelts and hauling people in the backs of pickups generally exempt migrant ag workers. Their lives are just not worth as much I suppose.

The question remains. If we call it OK to pay tomato pickers that little, where do we get off bitching about paying circuit board assemblers the same amount, whether we hand them the paycheck here or mail it to India?

Or could it be that maybe paying illegals that much to pick tomatoes, is a BAD thing? Now, why might that be?
You are speaking to the choir here. I was arguing this long ago when I said a strong border isn't only a national security issue, it is a humanities issue. We invite these people in and purposefully turn a blind eye while they are treated in worse ways than we often treat our animals all so we can buy cheap lettuce. It's one of the areas that uscit and I agree. I'd rather pay more and treat all humans as humans.

New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets: http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us

———

CLARKS SUMMIT, Pa. (AP) — Saying the nation's immigration system is broken, Pennsylvania's largest grower of fresh-to-market tomatoes announced he will no longer produce the crop because he can't find enough workers to harvest it.

Keith Eckel, 61, a fourth-generation farmer and the owner of Fred W. Eckel Sons Farms Inc., said this week he saw a dramatic decline last summer in the number of migrant workers who showed up to pick tomatoes at his 2,000-acre farm in northeastern Pennsylvania.

He said Congress' failure to approve comprehensive immigration reform had hindered his ability to hire enough workers to get his crop to the market. Most of Eckel's workers came from Mexico.

"There are a number of workers hesitant to travel, legal or illegal, because of the scrutiny they are now under," said Eckel, whose tomatoes have been shipped to supermarkets and restaurants throughout the eastern United States. "So there are less workers crossing state lines."

Eckel, who planted 2.2 million tomato plants last year, said he also will stop growing pumpkins and will plant half as much sweet corn as usual, resulting in a loss of nearly 175 jobs.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8vllgfg0&date=20080327

Naturally, if you pay people more, they will spurratically generate out of holes, and unlike the illegals, they will be white, southern accented, AMERICANS.

You are speaking to the choir here. I was arguing this long ago when I said a strong border isn't only a national security issue, it is a humanities issue. We invite these people in and purposefully turn a blind eye while they are treated in worse ways than we often treat our animals all so we can buy cheap lettuce. It's one of the areas that uscit and I agree. I'd rather pay more and treat all humans as humans.

Sorry, Damo. I was speaking to everyone, really. Especially including those who wail over the idea that food prices might go up, and ask whether it's "Fair" that we may stop paying illegals $0.75/hr. They seem to believe there's nothing wrong with paying them that.

If there's nothing wrong with doing that, then there must also be nothing wrong with paying similarly low wages to people who will work for them at jobs ranging from circuit board assembly to customer service, right? Regardless of whether those assemblers and call answerers are doing the work in Albany or in New Dheli. Right?

Back