Oakland Street Kid accepted to every Ivy League school

Oakland is not all that bad. I do hope his success spurs the discussion on funding for public schools

You make it seem that you have knowledge that his success is a result of his schooling, completely ignoring the tiny little fact that this kid could be a genius who might just have succeeded no matter where he went to school.

Wel my references always relates to points I'm making. Speaking about what members say, look at Storm X's posts. In one way, directly or in directly, he always makes posts about people of color in a negative light. There are tens of millions in this world that think like him. People like him aren't concerned with the sociology of why intra-racial group problems occur, its much easier to say "look another thug black person is on the news therefore majority of the 43 million plus blacks in this country commit crime..."

No matter how logical I can counter argue that lie, for a lot of people making negative associations based on prior racial impressions is easier. Making complex distinctions based on socioeconomic conditions is harder because it forces people to think. In this country thinking is bad. Another great example of this fact is 9/11. Americans were attacking Sikhs cause they wore turbans. Sikhism and Islam, although monotheistic are different and wearing a turban is required in Sikhism, in Islam its not. Also, some Arabs wear Kaffiyahs (turban with colored patterns) Indian Sikhs don't wear those. You see Americans don't care to make distinctions because thinking is required as oppsed to generalisations.
Do people stereotype ? Of course they do and I would feel safe saying its practically everyone doing it and the fact that it takes time to do otherwise is the main reason. Life moves at a good clip and pondering everything is impossible. So for the kid in the video eearing a cardigan (nrsr as i can tell) does not = thug. As to 911 and the sikhs, yeah there / were a lot of people seeing red and in NY you have people who live crabby all the time. And i hope you realize stormy likes yanking your chain. But you see this as a mission so more power to you and good wishes..

yahoo_umadbro.jpg

Speaking of the ghetto and a great school...

Do people stereotype ? Of course they do and I would feel safe saying its practically everyone doing it and the fact that it takes time to do otherwise is the main reason. Life moves at a good clip and pondering everything is impossible. So for the kid in the video eearing a cardigan (nrsr as i can tell) does not = thug. As to 911 and the sikhs, yeah there / were a lot of people seeing red and in NY you have people who live crabby all the time. And i hope you realize stormy likes yanking your chain. But you see this as a mission so more power to you and good wishes..

"Everyone stereotypes"

Perhaps but it depends on those stereotypes that make up have pre-conceived notions about people based on 1) Media representation 2)Personal Experience.But according to you its OK to have personal prejudices because they're a lot safer and less work to decipher between behavior of individuals and groups am I correct? As for the 9/11 situation, no its a bunch of dumbasses who cannot tell the difference between a Sikh Indian and an Arab. The fact that these people wore turbans was enough to cause harm to individuals who had nothing to do with the WTC issue.

Back