Obama: I might nearly double Capital Gains taxes

So don't buy us bonds ?
Bonds are just one type of investment. Saying that a person might not hold onto Bonds they otherwise might sell, generating income for others as well as themselves and increasing the government's treasury, if the taxes are too high ignores what people have done in the past and human nature.

What I say is that if your goal is to collect more incentivizing more sales rather than punishing them will give you a net gain. If people fear selling their investments because they will be punished heavily for it, they will retain investments that otherwise would have gained revenue for the government.

My philosophy always has teen to tax capital gains more than Wages. My logic is one can only put in so many hours a week earning wages. Capital gains know almost no limits on human ability. Thus they are easier to get and should be taxed higher.

My philosophy always has teen to tax capital gains more than Wages. My logic is one can only put in so many hours a week earning wages. Capital gains know almost no limits on human ability. Thus they are easier to get and should be taxed higher.
One must accept some risk when creating such earnings, because of that taxes have a far higher effect on how they will act. You can negatively effect the sale of investments that otherwise would generate revenue all because you think in such terms.

I don't say that they couldn't be higher at all than they are right now with no real negative effects, I do say that there is a reason that lowering that tax is one of the first things that are done during a recession, because sales of investment helps drive the economy.

You can negatively impact everybody if you make those taxes too punitive to fit some form of "fair" that you just feel.

What risk ? the feds will bail ya out.

The working class will be the ones paying for most of this ongoing debacle.

What risk ? the feds will bail ya out.

The working class will be the ones paying for most of this ongoing debacle.
No, the Feds bail out the Investment firms, not the Investors.

Neither should be done. It may be a painful lesson, but it is one we should learn.

Yes they do. to a certain extent. If an outfit goes belly up stock is worthless, if bailed out it's stock still has some value.

but one thing is certain, the feds can count on basically zero tax revenue from the investor class and finiancial corps, auto industry, etc this year.

who does that leave carrying the ball ?

Yes they do. to a certain extent. If an outfit goes belly up stock is worthless, if bailed out it's stock still has some value.

but one thing is certain, the feds can count on basically zero tax revenue from the investor class and finiancial corps, auto industry, etc this year.

who does that leave carrying the ball ?
Yup. The minimal amount of stockholders that would be "bailed out" by the Feds bailing out an investment firm is minimal. And all those stockholders would still be at a loss.

While the firm would still exist, their investments would not be worth more than when they made them.

enough with this working class vs investor class. The rich have been getting over for thousands of years and will keep doing it. It's over usmoron's head since he skipped college but cap gains ain't getting no where near wage taxes.

enough with this working class vs investor class. The rich have been getting over for thousands of years and will keep doing it. It's over usmoron's head since he skipped college but cap gains ain't getting no where near wage taxes.

Of course they aren't spinner. That is because big money controls our gummit.
I did not say they were, just that I thought they should.

Reading comprehension problems again ?

I think its your ged level of education that even allows your room temperature IQ to state such a stupid near impossible event as a should

That is a complete fallacy. They are not easier to gain. You go to work... you get paid. You know the outcome.

Investing your capital can just as likely produce you capital losses as capital gains.

Lowering the capital gains tax rate does lend to more turnover in the market. The higher the capital gains tax rate, the less likely people will sell investments that have produced gains. Having the lower rate for long term gains also promotes more stability as it gives an incentive to hold on to securities for at least a year.

Taxing capital gains more if you have not held them long also encourages more long term investing. As you alluded, investors will go the way of least taxiation.

Back