Obama Nominates Congressman's Brother

Like I said, if he wanted to bribe the guy, the way to do it is to promise the appointment, get the vote and then make the appointment. As it stands now, Matheson is pressured to not vote for the bill whether he wants to or not.
Only if he wanted to be obvious and cause a controversy. When back door deals pissed off people so much that 75% of people now want the bill to die and the process to be started over it is clear you don't want to make an obvious and open controversy.

Again. With a pre-appointment there is a very large chance that nobody will notice as most appointments like this go unnoticed. Unfortunately for them this one was noticed. I think you are apologizing for what you wanted to say was something unnecessary to apologize for. If it is a "nontroversy" stop trying to "clear" him before it is an issue.

Here's a spokesperson for Utah's other Republican Senator on this nomination:

And fellow Republican Utah Sen. Bob Bennett also rejected the notion that Obama was using Scott Matheson's nomination as leverage.

"Sen. Bennett has heard of all kinds of pressure being applied and offers being made to Democrats for votes on health care, but Scott Matheson's nomination is not one of those because it has been in the works for a long time," spokeswoman Tara DiJulio said.

But Damo and his open mind have this nomination "marked." Don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy, Damo.

Here's a spokesperson for Utah's other Republican Senator on this nomination:

But Damo and his open mind have this nomination "marked." Don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy, Damo.
I believe you are working hard to "clear" somebody from a "nontroversy" so hard you may help promote it. The thread was dead until you started apologizing for your savior.

And yes, I will watch to see how Matheson votes. If he changes his vote it is clear what happened.

I believe you are working hard to "clear" somebody from a "nontroversy" so hard you may help promote it. The thread was dead until you started apologizing for your savior.

And yes, I will watch to see how Matheson votes. If he changes his vote it is clear what happened.

Hilarious. I'm merely engaging in a discussion on a discussion board. I have no ability to either promote a nontroversy nor clear one up. And pointing out that the Republicans that have personal knowledge of this nomination are throwing cold water on the bribery theory is hardly "working hard to clear somebody." It is presenting the facts of the matter as known by the parties involved in the transaction. And I'm not necessarily trying to change your mind since you've already reached your conclusion, I'm mainly providing information for others.

The bottom line on this one is this: you can believe two Republican Senators with first-hand knowledge of this particular nomination, Senators Hatch and Bennett, or you can believe a freakshow lunatic in the House that doesn't know her ass from her elbow, Michele Bachmann. I'm not surprised you chose the latter, Damo.

Hilarious. I'm merely engaging in a discussion on a discussion board. I have no ability to either promote a nontroversy nor clear one up. And pointing out that the Republicans that have personal knowledge of this nomination are throwing cold water on the bribery theory is hardly "working hard to clear somebody." It is presenting the facts of the matter as known by the parties involved in the transaction. And I'm not necessarily trying to change your mind since you've already reached your conclusion, I'm mainly providing information for others.

The bottom line on this one is this: you can believe two Republican Senators with first-hand knowledge of this particular nomination, Senators Hatch and Bennett, or you can believe a freakshow lunatic in the House that doesn't know her ass from her elbow, Michele Bachmann. I'm not surprised you chose the latter, Damo.
Yes, but it is indicative of how people are reacting to it elsewhere. We may be a microcosm, but we are often indicative of what people are talking about if not of what they think about it.

I will continue to wait to see what happens. It may indeed be a "nontroversy".

And I have no idea of who I "chose" I simply noted the relation and the timing of the appointment. Even the link I gave has nothing about this person you are talking about.

And I am still amazed that the MSM is remaining silent.* I believe that if Bush had made an appointment with this kind of timing involved he'd have been excoriated in every paper's editorial pages. Olbermann would be writing his newest diatribe, ready to stick his finger in his coffee because he was so "angry" at this newest "outrage". Randi Rhodes would be talking up the 'Bush crime family' angle.

*Was I able to keep a straight face that time?

Back