Obama Planning Trip To Iraq

RockX

Banned
WASHINGTON (AP) - Barack Obama is considering a visit to Iraq this summer, his first to the war zone since becoming a presidential candidate. Obama revealed his plans to The New York Times. He has been under criticism from Republican rival John McCain for failing to visit Iraq since 2006. Obama also declined McCain's invitation for a joint trip.

"I just don't want to be involved in a political stunt," Obama said, according to a report on the newspaper's Web site Wednesday.

"I think that if I'm going to Iraq, then I'm there to talk to troops and talk to commanders," he said in the interview. "I'm not there to try to score political points or perform. The work they're doing there is too important."

Obama's campaign has been considering an overseas trip since last year to beef up his foreign policy credentials, but the extended fight for the Democratic nomination with Hillary Rodham Clinton has delayed those plans.

LOL...

McCain shames Obama into going. I can just see it now. Obama comes back from Iraq and tells the whole world how his plane made a corkscrew landing to avoid anti-aircraft flak then, once on the tarmac, the plane came under sniper fire.

Where have I heard that before?

WASHINGTON (AP) - Barack Obama is considering a visit to Iraq this summer, his first to the war zone since becoming a presidential candidate. Obama revealed his plans to The New York Times. He has been under criticism from Republican rival John McCain for failing to visit Iraq since 2006. Obama also declined McCain's invitation for a joint trip.

"I just don't want to be involved in a political stunt," Obama said, according to a report on the newspaper's Web site Wednesday.

"I think that if I'm going to Iraq, then I'm there to talk to troops and talk to commanders," he said in the interview. "I'm not there to try to score political points or perform. The work they're doing there is too important."

Obama's campaign has been considering an overseas trip since last year to beef up his foreign policy credentials, but the extended fight for the Democratic nomination with Hillary Rodham Clinton has delayed those plans.

LOL...

McCain shames Obama into going. I can just see it now. Obama comes back from Iraq and tells the whole world how his plane made a corkscrew landing to avoid anti-aircraft flak then, once on the tarmac, the plane came under sniper fire.

Where have I heard that before?

Maybe it's in Scott McClellan's book?

I wonder where he got that idea from?

Well, he is running for president and Iraq is a pretty big issue.

This story is fucking stupid. I can see it now:

Reporter: John McCain has invited you to a trip to Iraq, are you going to take him up on that?

Obama: No. Are you fucking serious with this stupid shit? Is he?

Reporter: I'll ask the questions here. Back to the subject, are you planning to go to Iraq at all?

Obama: I'm considering a trip this summer once the primary is wrapped up. Again, are you serious with this stupid shit?

Reporter: Sweet, I've got my story.

So you noticed the timing problem too then? Thought so.

It certainly appears as if he is following rather than leading on this one.

THIS SHOWS HIS NATURAL LACK OF LEADERSHIP AND MORALS AND THEREFORE HE'S NOT FIT TE BE TEH PRES!!!!!!!!!11111111!1!
Very insightful.

Anyway, back to the conversation.

He should have waited to make the announcement. His timing is usually better than this. His handlers missed the target.

So you noticed the timing problem too then? Thought so.

It certainly appears as if he is following rather than leading on this one.

Are you stupid or something?

There is no timing problem. It seems as though he has only been asked about whether he plans to go to Iraq since McCain decided to make this silly game an issue. I imagine that he would have had the same answer a month ago.

And really, is traveling to Iraq all that important. I mean, what benefit do you get from walking around a Baghdad market with a hundred troops and sir support and then turning around and saying that you walked freely around the country and everything is peaches and cream?

There is no timing problem. It seems as though he has only been asked about whether he plans to go to Iraq since McCain decided to make this silly game an issue. I imagine that he would have had the same answer a month ago.

And really, is traveling to Iraq all that important. I mean, what benefit do you get from walking around a Baghdad market with a hundred troops and sir support and then turning around and saying that you walked freely around the country and everything is peaches and cream?
LOL.

Rubbish. McCain offers a trip to Iraq, and starts in on his absence and lack of information on the current situation. "Suddenly" he is saying he's going there...

Saying, "But I was planning that B4 he said that!" doesn't change how this appears.

It would have been wiser to wait a bit before throwing this out there. Long enough to end the fricking news cycle with the McCain offer at least.

(My posts in this thread speak to strategy and timing of announcements, not whether I believe or care if Obama had planned or didn't plan to go to Iraq. The appearance here is reactionary because of the timing of the "But I am going to Iraq!" statement.)

LOL.

Rubbish. McCain offers a trip to Iraq, and starts in on his absence and lack of information on the current situation. "Suddenly" he is saying he's going there...

Saying, "But I was planning that B4 he said that!" doesn't change how this appears.

It would have been wiser to wait a bit before throwing this out there. Long enough to end the fricking news cycle with the McCain offer at least.

(My posts in this thread speak to strategy and timing of announcements, not whether I believe or care if Obama had planned or didn't plan to go to Iraq. The appearance here is reactionary because of the timing of the "But I am going to Iraq!" statement.)

Shorter Damo: Fuck the truth of the matter.

Considering he would be in charge of the armed forces and the number of them we have in Iraq I would think it would be important that the future CIC go and see for himself what is really going on.

Shorter Damo: Fuck the truth of the matter.
Geez, dude.

What damo does:

Put myself in the place of the people advising him... Then wonder what I would suggest be done differently, post about it.

What you read:

Damo posts bad stuff about my new messiah and therefore must be silenced!

Geez, dude.

What damo does:

Put myself in the place of the people advising him... Then wonder what I would suggest be done differently, post about it.

What you read:

Damo posts bad stuff about my new messiah and therefore must be silenced!

What Damo does: refers to himself in the third-person and throw out hacktackular nonsense while hiding behind some lame-ass cover story about some fantasy role-playing game where he gets to play campaign manager.

What I do: Call bullshit where I see it, and I'm seeing a lot of it out of your camp lately.

What Damo does: refers to himself in the third-person and throw out hacktackular nonsense while hiding behind some lame-ass cover story about some fantasy role-playing game where he gets to play campaign manager.

What I do: Call bullshit where I see it, and I'm seeing a lot of it out of your camp lately.
LOL.

What you do, spin any mistake so that you can pretend the other side is only exaggerating.

Whether you like it or not, I will continue to do that. For both candidates. I like to put myself into that position and wonder what I'd do.

What you have is a lack of imagination and a worship of a candidate that has moved into the bizarre level. Not recognizing that the timing of this "But I really was planning it!" statement is really off, and for a campaign that has been rather good at it, it just seems fumbling. One mistake among many things done right does not make what I say "hacktacular" it makes you post inanely because you can't even take the tiniest of criticism if it is leveled against the Messiah.

Great. Does that mean you are moving to California since gays can get married here now?

Ohh I am talking about the Wright swinging door. It gets wider open the closer the election gets.

Partisanship overcomes embaressment for some.

Back