Obama's 'Address to the Nation' Was 4 Days Ago?

1980 was a minor problem compared to 1932.

And yes, every instance of AMERICAN deflation has been accompanied by deflation. Have you thought they may have been referencing, perchance, foreign economies? If it happens and it doesn't have serious negative effects, it's rare.

LOL... I agree, every instance of deflation is accompanied by deflation! Brilliant observation, Waterhead!!

Not all episodes of deflation correspond to periods of poor economic growth. Again, your own source tells you this, and you simply refuse to acknowledge the facts. Almost all economic theories dismissed deflation as being less than even a remote possibility in modern economies, your source also says this, and you simply don't acknowledge it. I didn't post this information, you did! This isn't what I am arguing, it is what you presented, Waterhead! It completely refutes the idiocy you are claiming.

And 1980 was indeed a major problem for Jimmy Carter, he lost the election because of double-digit inflation.

LOL... I agree, every instance of deflation is accompanied by deflation! Brilliant observation, Waterhead!!

I sometimes substitute in wrong words in sentences. Usually I weed them out upon re-reading the post, but I don't see the point in wasting the time on a creature as lowly as you.

I meant depression.

Double-digit inflation is not a good thing, but we certainly aren't headed in that direction.

Well, yes we certainly are. We can either be stable, having inflation, or having deflation. The actions being taken are going to give us inflation, it can't be avoided. That is the whole basis for this stupid argument you are making... we're telling you it will bring inflation, and you are telling us that is better than deflation! If we start having inflation, it is pretty logical which direction we are heading!

Not all episodes of deflation correspond to periods of poor economic growth. Again, your own source tells you this, and you simply refuse to acknowledge the facts. Almost all economic theories dismissed deflation as being less than even a remote possibility in modern economies, your source also says this, and you simply don't acknowledge it. I didn't post this information, you did! This isn't what I am arguing, it is what you presented, Waterhead! It completely refutes the idiocy you are claiming.

I said American deflation. The article isn't only talking about America. Apparently, some ignorant liberterian decided to go into the article since the last time I saw it and pump up deflation as a good thing.

And 1980 was indeed a major problem for Jimmy Carter, he lost the election because of double-digit inflation.

I don't care about Jimmy Carter. It wasn't a problem in comparison to the great depression.

Well, yes we certainly are. We can either be stable, having inflation, or having deflation. The actions being taken are going to give us inflation, it can't be avoided. That is the whole basis for this stupid argument you are making... we're telling you it will bring inflation, and you are telling us that is better than deflation! If we start having inflation, it is pretty logical which direction we are heading!

Dixie, we aren't going into hyper inflation. If anything, we may start seeing deflation soon, despite the feds efforts.

I sometimes substitute in wrong words in sentences. Usually I weed them out upon re-reading the post, but I don't see the point in wasting the time on a creature as lowly as you.

I meant depression.

Well, you are wrong according to your source. Sorry!

Furthermore, I can demonstrate how "deflation" does not always accompany depression. In 1978, a computer keyboard component cost $175, but in 2008, a computer keyboard component is $12.95 at Walmart. Have we been in a depression since 1978? I don't think so, but that means that "deflation" doesn't accompany bad economic times.

You don't understand what you're talking about.

Prices fall, which means profits fall, which means wages fall, which means prices fall, which means profits fall, which means wages fall, which means prices fall...

I clearly understand what I am talking about. I based my argument on your own source... Deflation makes money worth more... Inflation makes money worth less. I have clearly said all along, "deflation" is not the problem! What you are talking about with your little 'example' above, is a DEFLATIONARY SPIRAL! Now.... Deflation CAN eventually result in Deflationary Spiral, and THAT is usually accompanied by Depression... but Deflation itself didn't create the problem. Usually, the problem is the result of the Feds attempting to reduce the value of money by printing more of it!

There were MANY causes of the Great Depression, but a lot of economic experts believe it all began as a result of the US moving off the gold standard. This caused foreign investors to lose confidence in the dollar, and coupled with the foreign tariff acts and increase in marginal tax rates, this set up the crash of the stock market. Combined with all of this, was the Dust Bowl, and massive mortgage foreclosures throughout the Midwest. As all of this happened, deflation also was happening as a result... but it didn't CAUSE the problem, it was a RESULT of the problem!

Furthermore, I can demonstrate how "deflation" does not always accompany depression. In 1978, a computer keyboard component cost $175, but in 2008, a computer keyboard component is $12.95 at Walmart. Have we been in a depression since 1978? I don't think so, but that means that "deflation" doesn't accompany bad economic times.

That's on part with one of the most ignorant things you've ever said.

Oh, my.

I suppose using that logic, the fact that a carton of milk which used to be 50 cents and is now over $3 indicates that inflation isn't any kind of danger.

Oh, my.

I suppose using that logic, the fact that a carton of milk which used to be 50 cents and is now over $3 indicates that inflation isn't any kind of danger.

I would prefer it to be 50 cents, and I think most people would prefer it to be 50 cents, but apparently, liberals think it's better if milk is $3!

The only "logic" involved here is, I just gave a demonstration of how "deflation" doesn't always accompany depression, as Waterhead had suggested. Other examples would be, cell phones, DVD players, and laptops. Deflation is not a bad thing, it is a very good thing for the consumer. Deflation doesn't necessarily mean depression and bad economy. If the deflation is the result of failing economic conditions and prompts a deflationary spiral, that is bad, but it's not the fault of deflation! This is where you pinheads are becoming confused. Some nitwit pinhead economist has filled your head full of some kind of garbage and you bought it, like the sheeple you are!

Now, let's take a look at what happens when inflation prevails... it's the opposite of Waterhead's analysis... Money is worth less, so prices go higher, more profits are made, but the profits are worth less, more pay is made, but the pay is worth less. Because of capitalism, you will never inflate your way to prosperity, because the more you inflate, the more worthless money becomes, and things will never be worth what you have to pay for them, and paychecks will never be worth the work performed to earn them.

Oh, it's entirely possible for Obama to create a situation where the average income in America is $200,000 per year... but if $200k in 2011 will only actually buy $20k worth of stuff in 2009 dollars, is that good? Apparently to liberals, it is! Sure, we can all have jobs making $16,000 per month.... wouldn't that be great? But what if the average mortgage payment was $10,000? A carton of milk was $50.00? Would it still be all that great? Apparently, liberals think so! And I predict, you will all be here telling us how much better off we are, now that we are earning so much more money! Wye look... the GDP is through the roof... the tax revenues have never been higher... money isn't worth warm spit, but what the hell!

Dixie - cherrypicking items for examples of "deflation," particularly in the field of technology, isn't really "deflation."

The deflation economists talk about, and warn about, is more pervasive & speaks more to a broad index on consumer goods.

Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about.

That's on part with one of the most ignorant things you've ever said.

Well, anybody can pop off an insult without basis. You're a fucking mental retard, what do you know? See how easy I did that? The fact remains, my example shows a clear price deflation in computer keyboards since 1978, and the statistics will indicate we have not been in depression during any of that time. Waterhead stated, deflation always accompanies depression... even though, his own source refutes that idiotic statement. My example proves deflation does not necessarily accompany depression or bad economic times. You can't refute that because it's true, so you hurl an insult at me, like the mental retard you are.

Dixie - cherrypicking items for examples of "deflation," particularly in the field of technology, isn't really "deflation."

The deflation economists talk about, and warn about, is more pervasive & speaks more to a broad index on consumer goods.

Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes I do know what I'm talking about. You continue to think "deflation" means "deflationary spiral" and they are two different things. Deflation is not bad, it increases the value of money! Inflation decreases the value of money! We are markedly better off when money is worth more! As a consumer, I am much better off when I can buy 10 computer keyboards for what I would have paid for 1 in 1978. Call that "cherry-picking" if you want, but I will apply that to ANY consumer good! I am better off being able to buy more for less than less for more!

Throughout my life, I have only been affected by inflation that shows my young age. Candybars went from 50¢ to 60¢, 20 oz. pop went from 99¢ to $1.49 (store) and 75¢ to $1.25 (machine), vending chips went from 50¢/75¢ to 65¢/85¢, and matinee movie tickets went from $4.50 to $7.50. And its always been fucking annoying!

Throughout my life, I have only been affected by inflation that shows my young age. Candybars went from 50¢ to 60¢, 20 oz. pop went from 99¢ to $1.49 (store) and 75¢ to $1.25 (machine), vending chips went from 50¢/75¢ to 65¢/85¢, and matinee movie tickets went from $4.50 to $7.50. And its always been fucking annoying!

Have you thought about picketing your parents house until they accede to your demand of a raise in your allowance?

Retarded.

If you're referring to Dixie, probably. But as for me, my complaints about inflation in youth consumer products is perfectly legit, yo!

Have you thought about picketing your parents house until they accede to your demand of a raise in your allowance?

Yes, and a redress of grievances!! But I will be on my own next year, and with the military taking care of most of my student debts, I will probably help pay back by pitching in and helping to pay for my brother's college expenses, as he is a high school senior at present. I'm still not even sure what route he will be taking: community college, full-time military with little or no college time, part-time Guard or Reserves with four-year college (my route), etc.

Back