OHH the horror

Topspin

Verified User
Teens Skip $50 Jeans in Squeeze of $4 Gas, Summer-Job Shortage

By Lauren Coleman-Lochner and Heather Burke

July 2 (Bloomberg) -- The financial pressures of adults are finally catching up with American teenagers. Since summer jobs dried up, gasoline prices topped $4 a gallon and parents ran out of spare cash, teens have had to cool it on spending for clothes.

``I've had to cut down on a bunch of stuff because I don't like spending my own money,'' said 14-year-old Haley McClelland from Waldwick, New Jersey, who was shopping at the nearby Paramus Park mall. She said her parents are ``more careful'' about what they give her.

Teens like Haley are among the last American consumers to cut back. Even as adults trimmed purchases, the kids managed to prop up revenue for Abercrombie & Fitch Co. and American Eagle Outfitters Inc. because of handouts from parents and part-time jobs, said Adrienne Tennant, an analyst at Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co. in Arlington, Virginia.

Spending by 13- to 17-year-olds is important because in at least the past two years it has been rising faster than total apparel sales. The adolescent demographic accounted for $27 billion, or 14 percent, of the $192.7 billion of clothing purchases in the 12 months through April, according to market- research firm NPD Group Inc.

At the same time, teen spending in the period rose just 2.9 percent, after a 12 percent gain between May 2006 and April 2007.

``There is absolutely a slowdown in teen spending,'' said Holly Guthrie, an analyst at Janney Montgomery Scott LLC in Philadelphia.

Pain for Retailers

Retailers dependent on that group are feeling the pinch. First-quarter net income at American Eagle plunged 44 percent because of discounting, and the retailer may post its first annual profit drop in five years. Same-store sales have fallen for the past two quarters. At Gap Inc.'s Old Navy chain, sales in May were off 25 percent from a year earlier. Abercrombie's same- store sales dropped in five of the past six quarters.

``While we believe the teen customer has slightly more discretionary income than their parents, they're still impacted by the sluggish economy,'' Zumiez Inc. Chief Executive Officer Richard Brooks said on a May 22 earnings call.

Zumiez's 309 stores selling skateboarding and beach clothes, such as $39.95 Billabong bikini bottoms, are geared to 12- to-24- year-olds. In May, the retailer reported its first quarterly profit drop since going public in 2005.

More Declines Ahead

Looking forward, U.S. teen spring fashion budgets may be reaching the lowest level in seven years, based on results of a survey of 5,000 youngsters by Piper Jaffray Cos. in Minneapolis.

Teenagers said in April they would spend $1,183 on fashion this year, 19 percent less than last year and down 23 percent from 2006, according to survey authors Jeffrey Klinefelter and Neely Tamminga, Piper's retail analysts.

``Teen spending may contract further this year,'' said Britt Beemer, chairman of America's Research Group in Charleston, South Carolina. ``It likely wouldn't go to minus 10, but it could do a negative 2 or negative 3 percent.''

Michael Niemira, chief economist at the International Council of Shopping Centers, projects about a 2 percent drop in purchases at teen clothing stores through January 2009, the biggest in at least four years, following last year's 0.5 percent decrease. They already fell 1.2 percent this year through May, though that's still better than the 5.8 percent decline at all specialty apparel chains, he said.

Gas and Joblessness

``Gas is the main thing right now,'' said Pete McCullough, a 19-year-old from Oradell, New Jersey, who can't afford the designer clothing he favors. ``Just coming to the mall costs $4.'' McCullough said he earns what he spends, juggling school with construction work.

Add to that the biggest jump in joblessness among youths in at least 60 years, according to the U.S. Labor Department. Unemployment among those between the ages of 16 and 19 soared to 18.7 percent in May from 15.4 percent in April, the government said. It was the biggest one-month increase since Labor began collecting statistics in 1948. Overall unemployment is 5.5 percent.

The portion of teens with jobs this summer may fall to 34.2 percent from last year's record low of 34.4 percent, according to a forecast from Joseph McLaughlin of Northeastern University's Center for Labor Market Studies. In the summer of 2000, when the economy was humming, 45 percent of teens had jobs.

Parents reluctant to pay for nice-to-have wardrobe additions, such as $49.50 Abercrombie jeans, are also cutting into sales. Hurt by sliding home values and rising food and energy costs, parents said they would spend 28 percent less on their teens this year, Piper Jaffray's survey showed. Klinefelter estimates that heads of middle-income households provide as much as half of teen spending money.

Specialty Merchants

Specialty clothing merchants known for value pricing, such as Aeropostale Inc., may fare better, said Linda Tsai, an analyst at MKM Partners LLC in New York. The New York-based chain posted a 27 percent first-quarter profit increase on a 22 percent sales gain.

With prices 20 percent to 30 percent cheaper than American Eagle's, Aeropostale has improved the quality and fashion of its clothes, said Christine Chen, a retail analyst at Needham & Co. in San Francisco.

``Kids tend to react more to product; parents tend to react more to promotion,'' said Aeropostale CEO Julian Geiger in a June 19 interview. ``We've found a wonderful balance between having teenagers love our merchandise and having mom love our prices.''

Top you do realize that we just finished the worst first half of the year market wise since 1970's and the DJIA is lower now then it was in Jan 3 2000 and that housing market is crashing and inflation is completely out of control right?

Its not just the price of a gallon of gas.. its the problem that this country is so spread out that everything costs more money to get transported. I have heard talk that railroads are starting to bloom again because its so much money to transport via tractor tailors.

In my opinion this is a worse recession then the 1999-2000 one.

I realize all of that Chappy. And I adjusted, got totally out of the S&P500 and into Chevron and alt energy.
that said, GDP is still growing. So not only are we not in a recession we are 6 months away from having one declared.
As you know from housing we are still above the long term trend line. Millions of Homeowner are setting on huge gains still. There is plenty more room for Cali & Florida prices to fall.

i was just looking at this chart. tells the whole story of this past 8 years. horrible.

Down on the from box put in 01/03/2000 and click enter.

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts?s=%5EGSPC#chart2:symbol=^gspc;range=20000103,20080702;compare=^dji+^ixic;indicator=split+dividend+volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

We need a nice run in the market. the 00's have been like the 70's

Topspin, Ive educated you on this before. The GDP doesn't mean much about economic health. It's just the volume of transactions occurring. People spending themselves into massive debt is not a good economic thing. You need to rework all the fascist underpinnings of your thought process.

asshat your poor cause you don't invest.
GDP is exactly how a recession is determined Moron

It may be how a recession is determined. It still is not a meaningful indicator of economic health, because it ignores consumer debt.

Last edited:
It also ingores wages. Actually the GDP looks better if the wages go down or are stagnant.

Productivity increases.

Just book cooking and not a true indicator of economic health.

Were those lines correct or not ?

Remember now our economy is 2/3 or more dependent on what consumers spend.

gdp is total output you two technobablist geeks.
Now you know so you don't have to have someone laugh in your face if you say the garbage you've laid out here in public.

gdp is total output you two technobablist geeks.
Now you know so you don't have to have someone laugh in your face if you say the garbage you've laid out here in public.

But it doesn't indicate anything meaningful past that. It's not an indicator of "overall economic health", though it's used as such.

I think Starbucks just overbuilt. We have eight Starbuck sites within 2 miles of each other, that's not counting two locations in a book store and a food store.

yep, we are overbuilt in many areas, not just in Starbucks.

The expensive status type of places like Starbucks that appeal to the wannabe upscale masses will be the first places to go..

the true upscale places where the rich shop will likely stay open.

yep, we are overbuilt in many areas, not just in Starbucks.

I would expect Panera, Subway, ATT Cellphone, Ann Taylor, and a few others are going to be closing stores around here. I'm not quite sure when my town became the mecca for all these minimalls.

Back