Ohio Needs More Foreign Trade

Timshel

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9248

But tinkering with a 14-year-old trade agreement will not bring an industrial renaissance to Youngstown and other Rust Belt cites. The relative decline of those regions dates back to the 1960s and 1970s, when the American economy began a transition from heavy industry toward an information-based service economy.

Ohio workers would pay a heavy price for pulling out of Nafta. Canada and Mexico are the top two markets for exports from Ohio, accounting for more than half of the state's exports in 2006. According to the Ohio Department of Development, 283,500 workers in the state earn their living in the export sector, with machinery, car parts, aircraft engines and optical/medical equipment among the leading exports. A trade showdown would put those good-paying jobs at risk.

Since Nafta took effect on Jan. 1, 1994, the U.S. economy has added a net 26 million new jobs. The average real hourly compensation (wages and benefits) of workers has climbed 23%. Real median household net worth has increased by a third. Of course, Nafta was not the primary driver of all that good news. But it is a useful counterpoint to the sense that large numbers of Americans have been "devastated" by Nafta and other trade agreements.

In recent years, U.S. manufacturers have enjoyed record output, revenue, exports and profits. Since Nafta, U.S. manufacturing investment in Mexico has averaged a modest $2 billion a year -- a tiny fraction of the $150 billion or more those same companies invest annually in domestic manufacturing capacity. American factories actually added a net half-million new manufacturing jobs in the five years after Nafta.

The loss of manufacturing jobs in Ohio and elsewhere since 2000 is the result of increased automation and our own domestic slowdown. U.S. factories are producing more and better stuff with fewer workers because their workers have become so much more productive.

I'm no academic expert on trade, I freely admit. No one on this board is.

However, most people have an innate understanding that these so-called free trade agreements, have resulted in turning us from the planet's largest creditor nation, into the largest debtor nation. There's no fundamental upside to signing your nation up for an unsustainable sea of massive debt, and an unfettered competition for low wages with developing countries.

No one is talking about ending trade. The debate is one what type of regulated trade we should have.

Before NAFTA, the United States had a slight trade surplus with Mexico, but by the end of 2007, the annual trade deficit was $74 billion.

Before the (PNTR China Trade agreement) US trade deficit with China was $85 billion; last year it was $256 billion, according to US government statistics.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/02/29/democrats_compete_to_outbash_nafta/?page=3

However, most people have an innate understanding that these so-called free trade agreements, have resulted in turning us from the planet's largest creditor nation, into the largest debtor nation. There's no fundamental upside to signing your nation up for an unsustainable sea of massive debt, and an unfettered competition for low wages with developing countries.

No one is talking about ending trade. The debate is one what type of regulated trade we should have.

What is so bad about a trade deficit? I've read good and bad things about it but it is not an indicator of our overall economic health. During the '30's we had trade surpluses for almost the whole decade.

Ohh the trade defecit or the national debt never hurt anyone. Isn't that a Republican pundit line ?

The trade defecit really sucks with the low dollar. That big sucking sound is money leaving the USA.

Yep in the 30's we could not afford to buy foreign goods.....think about a bit bigger picture there dude.

Last edited:
Ohh the trade defecit or the national debt never hurt anyone. Isn't that a Republican pundit line ?

Damn you're a hack. The trade deficit and national deficit are two different things. As Damo would say, nice strawman attempt.

I'm not speaking for Republicans.

You can't answer a damn thing about the trade deficit.

The US has almost constantly had about 3-5 percent of it's total GDP in deficit every year since like 1900. I don't know when this period of being a creditor your talking about happened, but it must've been in the 1800's.

The trade defecit really sucks with the low dollar. That big sucking sound is money leaving the USA.

Yep in the 30's we could not afford to buy foreign goods.....think about a bit bigger picture there dude.

Money will always leave the US, and money will always come in. With the trade deficit, we still have about 3-4% more money coming in that going out.

The trade deficit is a RESULT of the national debt. It is, of course, bad, but it's nothing terrible. It subtracts from a GDP growth but it doesn't mean we're shrinking. We could do much worse by raising tariffs and bottling up our economies efficiency - that would make money leave the US big time.

The US has almost constantly had about 3-5 percent of it's total GDP in deficit every year since like 1900. I don't know when this period of being a creditor your talking about happened, but it must've been in the 1800's.

My recollection is that the US was a net creditor nation until about Ronnie's second term.

the middle class has stagnated, and become more insecure, on many fronts in the last 20 years. It's a demonstrable fact.

Our economy as a whole has not had growth like we've had over the past 25 years. And many of the formerly middle class people have moved into upper-middle class status. That's a good thing.

Our economy as a whole has not had growth like we've had over the past 25 years. And many of the formerly middle class people have moved into upper-middle class status. That's a good thing.

Corporate profits, and the upper quintile of the wage earners have done very well.

That data doesn't lie though. The lower three quartiles have had stagnating wages, and increasing economic insecurity.

And GDP growth, while healthy the last 20 years, was not any better, and in fact not quite as good on average, as GDP growth in the period from 1946 to 1980.

Interesting how our economy has taken off since that time.

There is a difference between trade deficit and being a debtor/creditor nation.

The trade deficit is exports minus imports.

Being a debtor/credit nation has more to do with investments in assets within the country. So as a debtor nation it means more countries are investing their assets in the US than the US is investing overseas. This can be good and bad. Obviously in the mid-80's the writing was on the wall... Japan was beginning to slide and the US was looking primed for a run.

There is a difference between trade deficit and being a debtor/creditor nation.

The trade deficit is exports minus imports.

Being a debtor/credit nation has more to do with investments in assets within the country. So as a debtor nation it means more countries are investing their assets in the US than the US is investing overseas. This can be good and bad. Obviously in the mid-80's the writing was on the wall... Japan was beginning to slide and the US was looking primed for a run.

If you were a foreign country where might you feel safest placing your capital? I would argue the U.S. which is why a lot of foreign dollars are coming to our shores right now. Look at Abu Dhabi for example with their investment in CitiBank and their voracious appetite for U.S. real estate.

Just one example. Kind of off topic though. My bad.

cawacko, don't take my word for it.

even respected republican former Fed Chair Paul Volcker says that our massive structural trade imbalance is both dangerous and unsustainble.

cawacko, don't take my word for it.

even respected republican former Fed Chair Paul Volcker says that our massive structural trade imbalance is both dangerous and unsustainble.

and I'm not an expert on this. As I said there is some good and some bad caused by the trade deficit. But I've read just enough to know it is not all bad.

Ohio...................

as well as the other 49 states need outsourced jobs returned...and insourced cheap labor abolished!

Back