Ohio Needs More Foreign Trade

Dude, Volcker is a Democrat.

I think your wrong. Volcker is a life long republican, who was appointed by either Poppy bush or reagan.

The fact that he's supporting Obama this year, is an indication of how far moderate, educated republicans think the party has gotten way off course.

I think your wrong. Volcker is a life long republican, who was appointed by either Poppy bush or reagan.

The fact that he's supporting Obama this year, is an indication of how far moderate, educated republicans think the party has gotten way off course.

You are way off on this. He's a Democrat and was appointed by Jimmy Carter.

"Paul Volcker, a Democrat[2], was appointed Chairman of the Federal Reserve in August 1979 by President Jimmy Carter"

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Volcker[/ame]

Should I be surprised that a Democrat is supporting another Democrat?

If you were a foreign country where might you feel safest placing your capital? I would argue the U.S. which is why a lot of foreign dollars are coming to our shores right now. Look at Abu Dhabi for example with their investment in CitiBank and their voracious appetite for U.S. real estate.

Just one example. Kind of off topic though. My bad.

Not off topic at all.... that is what is making us a debtor nation.... more foreign ownership of US assets than the reverse.

Volker was originally appointed by Carter, re-appointed by Reagan.... Greenspan took over prior to Bush.

Volker has traditionally stayed out of politics. He was a Democrat when Carter appointed him, but I do not know if he remained that way ever since.

Not off topic at all.... that is what is making us a debtor nation.... more foreign ownership of US assets than the reverse.

We have investors wanting us to place money overseas in real estate on their behalf for diversification but they all still want the majority of their money in the U.S.

We have investors wanting us to place money overseas in real estate on their behalf for diversification but they all still want the majority of their money in the U.S.

I am seeing the same. With the weak dollar it is getting too expensive to be buying foreign real estate right now (I rely on ETFs of foreign property as we are not directly in the business) Especially given the availability of deals on commercial real estate here.

SF, I have been reading where the weak dollar is killing many euro businesses that depend on exports to the USA. This thing is a global booger, not just us.

SF, I have been reading where the weak dollar is killing many euro businesses that depend on exports to the USA. This thing is a global booger, not just us.

Without question.... a weak dollar helps our exporters, but makes imports more expensive. Thus the reverse holds true... foreign exporters to the US are struggling and their importers are finding cheaper US goods.

Add to that the amount of the CDO/SIV debt that is owned by foreign entities and that spreads the pain overseas.

Watch now for the effect of the auction rate securities on the market.

Anyone that holds closed end funds.... if they use leverage.... duck and cover... especially if that leverage is done with auction rate securities.

Back