One more reason to love the Left..

I think that much is obvious to all but those devoted to the Clintons. In addition to economics and the war, he also posseses the ability to bring the two parties back together. She will push them further apart.

Personally, I believe McCain will also bring the two sides closer to the point they may actually focus on issues rather than pointing fingers. I know many of you on the left want to believe he is like Bush, but once the pandering is done for election purposes... if he wins you will see that he is vastly different and will bring this country back on track. I know you disagree on this... and obviously I hope McCain gets the chance to prove you wrong. :)

For now... just make sure the Clintons don't retake leadership in your party.

It's not my party, but I agree with your point.

I think Edwards was the only true populist, pro-union Democrat in the race.

But, I suspect that Obama might be a tad better on economic justice than Clinton. I will stipulate to that. I think the blue dog democrats in congress will be problematic in regards to restoring fairness to labor, trade and the economy, also.

But, I can always sit back as say "I told you so", when Dems wistfully look back and wish they had nominated edwards. :)

Much love for you brother, but I disagree.

Edwards did not have the gravitas or power to make the rest of the Democratic Party do anything they were resistent to do. Obama does, and he will have far longer coattails than Edwards.

It's one thing to be a populist, and it's another thing to be right .. but it's something completely different to have the ability to get things done. Often, populism and being right have to be secondary to getting things done .. hence, politics is incrementalism and compromise when necessary.

Case in point .. many may see the healthcare intiatives of Edwards and Clinto as more ideologically correct, but Obama's has a far better chance of passing.

Party on, my union sisters and brothers. This is the awesome. One more reason to love Oakland cawacko. :clink:

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN01447701

In a sign of a reinvigorated American Left, longshore workers declined to come to work on Thursday, paralyzing ports along the West Coast from Los Angeles to Seattle, in protest against the Iraq War.

The union workers complained that "many of the big shipping companies are profiting from the war."

If the Democrats could get both the executive and both houses of Congress in the fall, one measure of whether they are just time-servers and lackeys or whether they are serious about reforming the country away from its current abuses will be whether they revise Taft-Hartley and Landrum-Griffin, the 50s-era legislation that laid the legal groundwork for the successful union-busting by US corporations of the past three decades. Despite the myths, most unionized workers are substantially to the left of the white collar middle class on important social issues, and gutting the unions has ensured that their voices have been muted. On Thursday we got a glimpse of what they think and an inkling of what the US would be like if union membership hadn't plummeted to only about 12%.

Corporations are very wealthy and very organized. The rest of us are not wealthy and not organized at all in comparison. And in politics, that means we almost always lose. Unions are the main form of organization that could at least sometimes prevail over corporation policies that injure the rest of us, and if they are strong then we have lost our shield. For news of union-busting activities, Workinglife.org does a good job. Of course, not all corporations benefit from the Iraq War, and some actually are suffering from it in some ways, which is probably the main hope for ending it.

juan cole[/QUOTE]

Its almost too freekin' stupid for words.....

What a protest.....

"Golly gee....the company that signs my paycheck is making a profit....this is just terrible".

Are lefties really for stupidest people in the world? Yeah, sadly, they are....

these fuckers should get fired today, all of them.
Throw Bush out and don't elect McSame, that's how you do it. Not refusing to do what you are paid for.

The union bosses try to wrap themselves in a protest against the war when in actuality it's nothing more than getting more money for their upcoming contract renewal. Is it any wonder that manufacturing jobs have left the USA. Now I understand why the unions are scrapping the bottom of the barrel and trying to organize car washers into the union.

The union bosses try to wrap themselves in a protest against the war when in actuality it's nothing more than getting more money for their upcoming contract renewal. Is it any wonder that manufacturing jobs have left the USA. Now I understand why the unions are scrapping the bottom of the barrel and trying to organize car washers into the union.

Manufacturing jobs have left the US, as they have the UK, France, Germany, etc. because people elsewhere will do the same job for less money.

Could be China, Turkey, Mexico or Morocco.

You can either try to compete with slave labour or you can scale up. It's shit but that's the way it is i'm afraid.

Manufacturing jobs have left the US, as they have the UK, France, Germany, etc. because people elsewhere will do the same job for less money.

Could be China, Turkey, Mexico or Morocco.

You can either try to compete with slave labour or you can scale up. It's shit but that's the way it is i'm afraid.

Yep we are all going to have to scale down some. The only question is how far.

The internationalist fascist contractors and their pr machine manufacture wars to get more money for their upcoming contract renewals. SO suck on that inconvenient fact, noob.

Back