One of the first indications of the pitfalls of cheaper gas.

uscitizen

Villified User
Toyota delays Mississippi assembly plant

Dec 15, 5:18 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) (TM) is shelving its plans to build the popular Prius hybrid in Mississippi as the slump in the auto industry continues to hobble the Japanese carmaker known for it emphasis on fuel-sipping vehicles.

Toyota's plant under construction in Blue Springs, Miss., was scheduled to begin production in 2010, marking the first time the gas-electric Prius, which has been on sale for more than a decade, would be built outside of Japan and China.

But Mike Goss, a spokesman for Toyota's U.S. arm, said Monday that despite investing $300 million in the plant so far, the automaker is delaying production there indefinitely because of the industrywide downturn.

Construction of the plant is about 90 percent complete, and Toyota will finish the building, Goss said. However, the installation of the factory's equipment and machinery - "the most time-consuming" element of construction, he said - is delayed indefinitely.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081215/D953DH680.html

Maybe people finally figured out, even with $4 gas, that the hybrid option would never pay for itself and was just a greenie status symbol that told everyone else how stupid you were.

Meanwhile my full size SUV with the 275 HP engine and 4WD suits me nicely. :)

Maybe people finally figured out, even with $4 gas, that the hybrid option would never pay for itself and was just a greenie status symbol that told everyone else how stupid you were.

I kinda figured you enoyed supporting the middle east and it's muslims.

Actually, I support drilling off the US coasts, as well as more nukes, less kooks. And you?

I support reasonable drilling off our coasts too. Off the FL coast first I would think esp since they do not even have any refineries and depend on other states for their gasoline.
I support the alaska natural gas pipeline and reasonable drilling in alaska as well.
However with the caveat that leases have to be drilled within a reasonable timetable or they go to someone who will drill them.
We have many thousands of acres of leases locked up to companies that have not drilled them in over 30 years. Locked up leases means control of the supply whether in the ground or out of it and control of prices.

Eventually we must go to alternative energy sources. I think sooner is better than later for many reasons.

I am not for more nukes, and no way we will get less kooks.
We have not even decided what to do with our waste. Once that is decided then we can look at more nuke plants.

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/005791.html

Links at site

Alberta Oil Sands Production To Fall Short Of Goal
The long term growth in capital infrastructure to extra more oil out of tar sands in Alberta is called into question as large tar sands projects get canceled in response to the oil price decline.

Bob Dunbar, president of Strategy West, a Calgary oil sands consulting firm, says the risk of a no-growth period in the oil sands is high.

"If we have a prolonged financial economic crisis, then I think this industry is coming to a halt, other than startup and completion of projects that are already underway," says Mr. Dunbar, who was one of the oil sands' first regulators three decades ago with the Alberta government.​

He sees oil sands production growing to 2-million barrels a day, from the current 1.3-million barrels a day, as projects under construction are completed by 2010-2011.

Then, the pipeline dries up. The industry's goal was to produce about 3.5-million barrels a day by 2015.

How long will the recession last? I wish I knew.

The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers expects a smaller decline in expected tar sands oil production growth.

Deferred and cancelled oilsands projects could result in 300,000 fewer barrels a day flowing from northeast Alberta by 2017, the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) said Friday.

The industry association expects oilsands spending to drop more than 25 per cent, to $16 billion in 2009 from a previous estimate of more than $20 billion. Overall upstream spending - including the East Coast offshore - is expected to fall about 15 per cent to $43 billion from $50 billion in 2008, said Greg Stringham, the group's vice-president of markets and fiscal policy.
If OPEC and Russia manage to make a bigger oil production cutback now then fewer projects will get canceled. But if OPEC can't get it together and the recession is long then we are going to be set up for a bigger surge in oil prices when they finally bounce back.

Jeff Rubin, chief economist at CIBC World Markets, sees an 800,000 barrels per day loss in new Alberta oil sands capacity.

"In the Alberta oil sands alone, we estimate that project cancellations and delays, affecting $100 billion of investment, will shave over 800,000 barrels from daily new capacity, roughly half of earlier projected growth in the next five years. And what is happening there is occurring in Brazil, West Africa and the Middle East itself."
I look on the bright side: oil not burned in the next few years due to project cancellations and delays is oil we'll have after world oil production goes into sharp permanent decline.

By Randall Parker at 2008 December 14 01:33 PM

I support reasonable drilling off our coasts too. Off the FL coast first I would think esp since they do not even have any refineries and depend on other states for their gasoline.
I support the alaska natural gas pipeline and reasonable drilling in alaska as well.
However with the caveat that leases have to be drilled within a reasonable timetable or they go to someone who will drill them.
We have many thousands of acres of leases locked up to companies that have not drilled them in over 30 years. Locked up leases means control of the supply whether in the ground or out of it and control of prices.

Eventually we must go to alternative energy sources. I think sooner is better than later for many reasons.

We have not even decided what to do with our waste. Once that is decided then we can look at more nuke plants.

I think that drilling with current technology where we actually know that there is oil that can be recovered cheaply is reasonable; save the hard to develop, inland deposits for 50 or 100 years from now when and if these fields stop producing. And I also like the use of natural gas in vehicles.

We know what to do do with the waste: reprocessing then finally, Yucca Mountain. The only thing lacking is political will.

50 to 100 years ? Yeah I figure gas will be at current price scale about $25/gal by then.

We were near to the point where demand was outstripping the amount we could pump from the ground before the recession hit.

50 to 100 years ? Yeah I figure gas will be at current price scale about $25/gal by then.

We were near to the point where demand was outstripping the amount we could pump from the ground before the recession hit.
Yes we were near that point, but due to political reasons (including OPEC), not technical reasons.

Sure we have. High Temperature Vitrification is the BADT for both HLW and LLW. Combined with deep well injection, it's a permanent solution.

The real issue with nuclear power isn't engineering controls. Those solutions are there and in place. The real issue with nuclear power is administrative controls which would include security.

Nuclear power is safe, clean and cost effective.

I think that drilling with current technology where we actually know that there is oil that can be recovered cheaply is reasonable; save the hard to develop, inland deposits for 50 or 100 years from now when and if these fields stop producing. And I also like the use of natural gas in vehicles.

We know what to do do with the waste: reprocessing then finally, Yucca Mountain. The only thing lacking is political will.

LPG is probably the best bet for vehicles and home heating in the short term. We sit on underground oceans of the stuff in North America. It would be the quickest way to energy independence from the middle east.

Reprocessing of spent rods only has limited application as you buck against the law of diminishing returns in recovering fuel grade uranium. HTV (high temp vitrification) is the really the best available demonstrated technology (BADT) for dealing with high level waste (HLW) and low level waste (LLW). Create inert glass monoliths to stabilize the toxicity characteristics of the waste and then drop them into the deep wells at Yucca and other facilities to let the earths crust shield the radioactive charateristics of the waste and the problem is solved.

Yes we were near that point, but due to political reasons (including OPEC), not technical reasons.

the technical reason was we did not have enough holes in the ground.
You think OPEC did not want to sell oil at 150/bbl ?
US companies have been sitting on leases for many years a did not drill them.

Easy to balme OPEC and not to understand what is really going on I suppose.

Sure we have. High Temperature Vitrification is the BADT for both HLW and LLW. Combined with deep well injection, it's a permanent solution.

The real issue with nuclear power isn't engineering controls. Those solutions are there and in place. The real issue with nuclear power is administrative controls which would include security.

Nuclear power is safe, clean and cost effective.

I am not so sure about the cost effective part. It sure has not worked out like it was origionally sold to us.

i like my mb s-600 better :pke:

I want one of my old air-cooled VWs again. Best car ever.

Nuclear power plants need, not only security from human acts, but from natural disastors as well. Our system of the lowest bidder doesn't make me feel secure. But I think its a good alternative. Especially if they use the US Navy systems and specs.

LPG is something we should be exploiting now, not later.

We are going back to oil. People will forget we paid $4.00+ a gallon, and forget how unstable we are when it comes to Energy. Forget all your dreams about using renewable resources, we don't need it right here and right now, lets suck that shit dry!

the technical reason was we did not have enough holes in the ground.
You think OPEC did not want to sell oil at 150/bbl ?
US companies have been sitting on leases for many years a did not drill them.

Easy to balme OPEC and not to understand what is really going on I suppose.

wow that's comical, a GED reads a dem talking point and all the sudden he KNOWS whats going on. We should call you Marvin Gay.

Companies all have leases they don't drill, not all of them are economical to do so. To be remotely close to what you retards using this moron card want the gov would have to return the RENTALS they get on these shit leases.:pke:

The whole reason that gas prices went up was a speculation bubble on future demand versus supply. Yes gas use may be down a few percent but it can just as easily re-inflate as soon as the market begins recovering.. or if some major event happens such as a blockade in the straight of hamaz.

And as the recession starts to improve the oil speculation will go up slowing down the recovery.

Yep as soon as the recession is over we will be back to $4 gas.

Back