One of the first indications of the pitfalls of cheaper gas.

LPG is probably the best bet for vehicles and home heating in the short term. We sit on underground oceans of the stuff in North America. It would be the quickest way to energy independence from the middle east.

Reprocessing of spent rods only has limited application as you buck against the law of diminishing returns in recovering fuel grade uranium. HTV (high temp vitrification) is the really the best available demonstrated technology (BADT) for dealing with high level waste (HLW) and low level waste (LLW). Create inert glass monoliths to stabilize the toxicity characteristics of the waste and then drop them into the deep wells at Yucca and other facilities to let the earths crust shield the radioactive charateristics of the waste and the problem is solved.

And Yucca is in the 2nd most earthquake prone state in lower 48 and has underground streams. Then there is the question of transportation to Yucca from everywhere. The state of Nevada does not want to be everyones toxic trash can thank you very much.

And Yucca is in the 2nd most earthquake prone state in lower 48 and has underground streams. Then there is the question of transportation to Yucca from everywhere. The state of Nevada does not want to be everyones toxic trash can thank you very much.

I could see an earthquake causing a few problems for an underground nuclear waste storage facility.

Glow in the dark bats?

Build rockets and launch the waste into the sun

Of course, any failure between launch and outer space would be a bit nasty.

I think under Washington DC would be a fine place to put the nuclear waste since our politicians assure us it is so safe.

If they truely prove it is safe Im sure Nevada would take the waste for a nice fat fee.

I dont trust any "science" that came out in favor of this site during Bush years.

No place that is on or very near a major fault line in the earth should even be considered for storage of toxic or nuclear waste.

Desh also brought the problem of transporting it. How do you transport something that is as lethal as nuclear waste?

the technical reason was we did not have enough holes in the ground.
You think OPEC did not want to sell oil at 150/bbl ?
US companies have been sitting on leases for many years a did not drill them.

Easy to balme OPEC and not to understand what is really going on I suppose.
The political reason is that we did not have enough holes in the ground were oil actually is. Democrats want the oil companies to drill on land that has no proven reserves or is too expensive currently to exploit. Meanwhile all that oil sits off our coasts, and some of it will be taken by Russia or even Cuba. Wow would you like Putin and Castro as part of OPEC?

The last price spike was due to lack of refining capacity; OPEC had tankers sitting offshore waiting to be unloaded. As you said, easy to blame OPEC when you don't know.

I want one of my old air-cooled VWs again. Best car ever.

Nuclear power plants need, not only security from human acts, but from natural disastors as well. Our system of the lowest bidder doesn't make me feel secure. But I think its a good alternative. Especially if they use the US Navy systems and specs.

LPG is something we should be exploiting now, not later.

As long as you had an extension cord long enough, at least two 1200W hair dryers and about 30 minutes of free time you could actually defrost the windshield in those things in the mornings. Meanwhile mine's cranking out heat from the dash, the electric defrosters on the rear window and mirrors, and the thermo-electrics in the two front seats. :)

Any of the third generation reactors, GE, Westinghouse, or Siemens would be fine with me. Which one does the Navy use?

If they truely prove it is safe Im sure Nevada would take the waste for a nice fat fee.

I dont trust any "science" that came out in favor of this site during Bush years.

The National Acedemy of Sciences first recommended this site in 1957. The DOE began serious research in 1978. :rolleyes:

Actually by being in a geologic area that sees many small quakes it is the most stable.

The chances of any one of those smaller quakes causing leaks is too great for the risk involved.

The storage has to remain leak free for at least 10,000 years. Are you willing to bet people's lives that none of those smaller quakes would cause a leak?

No, any storage site for nuclear waste needs to be in a more stable location. There are areas with far less seismic activity that would be more suitable for long term storage.

No place that is on or very near a major fault line in the earth should even be considered for storage of toxic or nuclear waste.

Desh also brought the problem of transporting it. How do you transport something that is as lethal as nuclear waste?
Geologic faults are everywhere. No major active fault exists in the area.

Nuclear shipping casks are designed to survive a 30' free fall onto concrete, a 3' drop onto a 6" steel rod, a 30 minute fire at 1500F, followed by 8 hours immersion into water.

As long as you had an extension cord long enough, at least two 1200W hair dryers and about 30 minutes of free time you could actually defrost the windshield in those things in the mornings. Meanwhile mine's cranking out heat from the dash, the electric defrosters on the rear window and mirrors, and the thermo-electrics in the two front seats. :)

Any of the third generation reactors, GE, Westinghouse, or Siemens would be fine with me. Which one does the Navy use?

People thought that was a handle for the passenger on the dashboard, it is actually a towel rack for your manual defogging of the windshield.

Geologic faults are everywhere. No major active fault exists in the area.

Nuclear shipping casks are designed to survive a 30' free fall onto concrete, a 3' drop onto a 6" steel rod, a 30 minute fire at 1500F, followed by 8 hours immersion into water.

Then how will they last the ground water in the Area?

There are natural underground water systems all through this area.

Let me remind people that this is a mere 80 miles from Vegas.

Then how will they last the ground water in the Area?

There are natural underground water systems all through this area.

Let me remind people that this is a mere 80 miles from Vegas.
There are natural underground water systems in all areas of the US. In this desert location, the groundwater is 1000 feet deep.

You can safely stand next to a waste cask. Being 80 miles away is no problem.

There are natural underground water systems in all areas of the US. In this desert location, the groundwater is 1000 feet deep.

You can safely stand next to a waste cask. Being 80 miles away is no problem.

then you won't mind if we put it in your backyard then ?

imho all nuke waste should stay in the state that generates it.

Last edited:
Back