One Way to Get Rid of Bad Teachers

Timshel

Now we need one for cops.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880310084

A Washington-based anti-union group hopes to ''jump-start a conversation'' about the difficulty schools face in getting rid of bad teachers — with a stunt that sounds as if it was designed for reality TV.

The Center for Union Facts on Tuesday will ask parents, students and other teachers to nominate the ''worst unionized teacher in America.'' The center says it will choose 10 and offer each $10,000 to quit; ''winners'' must allow the center to write about them on its Web site. The center plans full-page ads today in USA TODAY and The New York Times.

If the idea seems breathtaking in its political incorrectness, consider that it's the brainchild of Rick Berman, a union-bashing attorney known for his in-your-face attacks on consumer, safety and environmental groups.

''We're not trying to humiliate anyone,'' says Berman. ''We're trying to jump-start a conversation that maybe people need severance packages to find themselves another line of work.''

Critics have long said collective bargaining agreements in many school districts make it difficult, if not impossible, to fire poorly performing or misbehaving teachers. ''The next best idea,'' he says, ''is to get people to voluntarily quit.''

Our school district is currently trying to get rid of 1 bad teacher and 1 bad teacher's aid. It does take an act of congress and it shouldn't.

There is a public school in Denver trying to get a vote to remove the union. I haven't heard about it in a week or two, I wonder how they are getting on...

Just 10? They need to get rid of many more than that. However, if that happend, the elitist's "Dumbing of America" plan would fail.

Just 10? They need to get rid of many more than that. However, if that happend, the elitist's "Dumbing of America" plan would fail.
If they have been a teacher long enough for the need to give a severance package to get them to quit, 10K isn't going to do it.

Now we need one for cops.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880310084

A Washington-based anti-union group hopes to ''jump-start a conversation'' about the difficulty schools face in getting rid of bad teachers — with a stunt that sounds as if it was designed for reality TV.

The Center for Union Facts on Tuesday will ask parents, students and other teachers to nominate the ''worst unionized teacher in America.'' The center says it will choose 10 and offer each $10,000 to quit; ''winners'' must allow the center to write about them on its Web site. The center plans full-page ads today in USA TODAY and The New York Times.

If the idea seems breathtaking in its political incorrectness, consider that it's the brainchild of Rick Berman, a union-bashing attorney known for his in-your-face attacks on consumer, safety and environmental groups.

''We're not trying to humiliate anyone,'' says Berman. ''We're trying to jump-start a conversation that maybe people need severance packages to find themselves another line of work.''

Critics have long said collective bargaining agreements in many school districts make it difficult, if not impossible, to fire poorly performing or misbehaving teachers. ''The next best idea,'' he says, ''is to get people to voluntarily quit.''

I think it's more important find ways to get better teachers, than to fire teachers we can't fire because of teacher shortages.

It's not about teachers Stringy, it's about unions.

I always find it ironic that the biggest, most powerful collectives in the world (corporations) are continually trying to break smaller collectives, unions. It's like an elephant shrieking with fear when it seems a mouse.

That the US has the weakest unions in the western world isn't enough, it seems the right of individuals to collectively bargain with their employer must be wiped out until it's a footnote in a textbook.

If an employment situation is such that severely incompetent teachers can't be dismissed then it's the employment situation that needs to be examined for faults, not the fact that teachers can unionise.

We quit letting the union set policy on how to educate the children. We constantly forget that the union is not in business for the children.

That's always interested me about teacher unions here as well. They're not only interested in the employment conditions of teachers, they also have a great deal to say about how teaching and learning should work. I admit, I'm in two minds over that. I wonder if it undermines their claim to legitimacy as a union if they act more like a professional association. And then I think perhaps they (here) need a different form of union for teachers.

That's always interested me about teacher unions here as well. They're not only interested in the employment conditions of teachers, they also have a great deal to say about how teaching and learning should work. I admit, I'm in two minds over that. I wonder if it undermines their claim to legitimacy as a union if they act more like a professional association. And then I think perhaps they (here) need a different form of union for teachers.
One must see exactly who they represent when listening to their ideas of how children should be educated. They are not representing the students. They are not designed to.

If they have been a teacher long enough for the need to give a severance package to get them to quit, 10K isn't going to do it.

Exactly what I was thinking. I know of at least 3 teachers that shouldn't be, they pull down over $70k per year. 2 of them have over 15 years to go...

Ten isn't close. :clink: My school isn't 'union', but even in parochial schools for reasons of 'loyalty' the bad teachers don't get fired. It's wrong.

One must see exactly who they represent when listening to their ideas of how children should be educated. They are not representing the students. They are not designed to.

From what I've seen (here) there seems to be some sort of educational ideology being put forward. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. If teachers unions believe that reform is required so students benefit then that seems to me to be constructive.

From what I've seen (here) there seems to be some sort of educational ideology being put forward. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. If teachers unions believe that reform is required so students benefit then that seems to me to be constructive.
The problem is they say that students benefit, while we see declining results. I believe that is because they do not represent students.

Back