Philosophy Discussion

So where did the man who spent all his time running through a hosepipe get his money for his apartment and to order some food? Why...he must have worked!
Unless of course it is social welfare housing and food paid from a welfare check, in which case he has no morals period.

Or perhaps he inherited his house and his money from a rich uncle who, in turn, inherited his house from his ancestors who were given their lands and houses by the king for being very good at killing Frenchmen, or perhaps Spaniards.

Or maybe he won the lottery or was really good at poker?

Is the fable of the Ant and the Grasshopper a good moral tale? Here it is if you've never read it:

In a field one summer's day a Grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. An Ant passed by, bearing along with great toil an ear of corn he was taking to the nest.

"Why not come and chat with me," said the Grasshopper, "instead of toiling and moiling in that way?"

"I am helping to lay up food for the winter," said the Ant, "and recommend you to do the same."

"Why bother about winter?" said the Grasshopper; we have got plenty of food at present." But the Ant went on its way and continued its toil. When the winter came the Grasshopper had no food and found itself dying of hunger, while it saw the ants distributing every day corn and grain from the stores they had collected in the summer. Then the Grasshopper knew:

It is best to prepare for the days of necessity.

http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Aesop/Aesops_Fables/The_Ant_and_the_Grasshopper_p1.html

Should the ant help the grasshopper avoid death?

The problem with these misplaced analogies like this and the duck or whatever that baked the bread is that they aren't humans.

Ants have no responsibility for grasshoppers, but they certainly share a responsibility to each other. They've been around far longer than humans and they survive because they share a responsibility to each other.

That's my point

Why the fuck is everyone looking at the Ant and the grasshoper so fuckin literally....

Ohhhh the grasshopper and ant aren't the same as humans. Oh they don't have a responsibility to each other. Its a freakin fable you asshags, do you have to take it so damn literally?

That being said charver wins the award for best response so far. All others failed!

To answer your question Dano, I think the Grasshopper should go steal the ants food, cause they are insects.. not humans! Bwahaha!

Back