Philthydelphia mayor signs five new anti-gun-rights laws

BAC if nothing else, all of the gun owning righties should be enough to get you to go out and purchase a gun.

First, how is a limit of one handgun purchase a month is purchasing one not reasonable? How many do you need to buy each month? In what way is your right to own a firearm restricted by limited the number of handguns you can buy each month?
say I want to buy a handgun for my mother, my wife, and my 24 year old daughter for xmas, am I infringed by one gun a month laws? I believe I am.

Second, that explanation of you becoming a felon is ridiculous on its face. I don't think it is routine for protection from abuse orders to issue is amicable divorces as a matter of course.
try getting divorced in texas. restraining orders are a matter of course for all of them.

As I said, the new regulations seem reasonable to me.
but not to me. are we at an impasse?

BAC if nothing else, all of the gun owning righties should be enough to get you to go out and purchase a gun.

I have no fear of gun-owning right-wingers. or wanna-be soldiers parading around in camo in the woods pretending to be important, or skinheads, klanmembers, nazis, Birchers, confederates, or aliens my brother.

I fear my high blood pressure.

I apologize for my some of my overly-passionate posts my brother .. but I sincerly do not understand the culture of guns, At what point does the culture of guns and America being the most violent nation on earth intellectually/ideologically intersect in the minds of gun lovers? I don't get it .. SERIOUSLY.

I'm betting that you don't take a 357 Magnum or an Uzi to go hunting with. That's a disingenuous argument my brother and comprised to detract from serious discussion. Remove hunting rifles from the argument because hunting rifles aren't what's being used to murder 15,000 Americans every year.

America is not only the most violent nation on earth, we are now the greatest prison nation the world has ever seen. Our prison population dwarfs every totalitarian nation we love to hate. We dwarf China and India by every measure and they have 4 and 5 times our total population.

The American culture of violence.
I fully agree that the United States has become a violent nation. But I disagree that what you (and others) have labeled a "gun culture" (or more antagonistically, "gun lovers") has anything to do with our current trend of glorifying violence.

In the 1950s, gun ownership was much more prevalent than it is today. But we did not have a corresponding violent culture. We did not see students shooting each other and teachers. The very idea of even taking a weapon to school would have been met with a reply of "what would I want to do that for?" But it was much more common for those students to have access to one or more weapons from home. It was not even uncommon for older teens of the 50s and 60s to have open permission to practice with them.

With the much wider acceptance, ownership and use of weapons during the 50s and 60s, why were the 50s and 60s not known for high levels of gun violence? Because guns are a TOOL of the violent, but not the CAUSE of the violence they instill on society.

When we look at our culture of today, we see violence everywhere. Random shootings are happening several times a year. 50 years ago we had experienced one or two over a period of decades. But shootings are not the only symptom of our violent culture. There are also several reports nation wide every year of someone running down people randomly with their cars. Several times a year I find myself cursing the people who randomly poisoned OTC medications and foods, resulting in the need for hermetically sealed bottles to assure the contents have not been altered.

Other items have been reported, such as high school age boys pushing large rocks off of highway overpasses onto cars below, or others dropping bricks off a high building onto pedestrians.

We're proud of that shit. We peddle it to children. We export it all over the world .. sometimes up REAL close .. like when we attacked Iraq and mass-murdered countless innocent fucking people, including babies and children. We even MELTED some children.

Smart bombs .. guided by really dumb people.
Simultaneous with the increasing acts of violence, we glorify violence in our entertainment. Television has more acts of violence in a single hour than a full length R rated movie has from the 60s. Police don't "Serve and Protect" any more, they blow the bad guy to smithereens.

And what's with this newest "crime drama" where the HERO is a serial killer who hunts other serial killers? What the HELL kind of "Heroes" is our culture looking up to?

As far as the Iraq war, I do not agree that is part of our violent culture. But modern war IS quite often far more destructive to the innocent than it is to the military organizations who wage the wars. It is a reason to minimize war as much as is consistent with national security.

The American culture of violence .. with religion on its side.

No disrespect intended to you my brother.
Sorry, but offense taken. What does religion have to do with it? Why bring even bring religion into the topic of the relationship between violence and gun control? Are you claiming, and if so, do you have evidence that there is a relationship between our current culture of violence, and religion?

I would say it is more likely the opposite, violence has increased over the last several decades while simultaneously overall religion has declined over those same decades.

The right loves to point to the Constitution, but I like to point to the Declaration of Independance because it distinguishes the difference between a citizen and a being subject.
The Declaration of Independence is a wonderful piece of writing. It served its purpose quite well in proclaiming ourselves independent from the British empire, and carefully explaining why we were doing so.

But it is NOT the Law of the Land. That role is held by the Constitution, which was hammered out as a series of compromises between those who supported a federalized government and those who felt a strong federal government posed a significant threat to the newly won liberty.

Of note is the way the overall document is worded. It is worded to tell government SPECIFICALLY what powers they are to be given over the people. It is worded to provide a defined relationship between the power of the states, and the power of the federal government. And it is worded to state unequivocally what powers the government shall NOT have over the people.

It has worked reasonably well for 220 years with relatively few modifications - not much more than one per decade. If one were to accept in principle that the Bill of Rights was effectively part of the original Constitution, being adopted only 3 years later, one could say we have needed less than one modification per decade.

I would also propose that a number of our current political problems stem from not following the Constitution as closely as we should be.

Last edited:
Back