Pink to Give Away Banned Books at Florida Tour Stops

signalmankenneth

Verified User
It's hard to believe we have book bans in the country?!!

Pink announced Monday she plans to hand out 2,000 banned books during her four concert dates in Florida. “Books have held a special joy for me from the time I was a child, and that’s why I am unwilling to stand by and watch while books are banned by schools,” she said in a press release.

The three-time Grammy-winning singer announced her collaboration with the national free speech organization PEN America during an Instagram Live with Amanda Gorman, the youngest inaugural poet in the U.S. Pink will also work with bookseller Books & Books to distribute four books from PEN America’s Index of Banned Books: Todd Parr’s “The Family Book,” Gorman’s “The Hill We Climb,” Toni Morrison’s “Beloved,” and Stacia Deutsch’s “Girls Who Code.”

Florida leads the country in book bans. In a study during the 2022 to 2023 school year, PEN America recorded more than 3,300 book bans across the U.S., a 33% jump from the previous school year. Of those books, 40% of the bans occur in Florida school districts, with 1,406 books off the shelf. Texas placed second with 625 bans. Book bans most often target female authors, LGBTQ authors, and authors of color. For example, the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, backed by Florida governor and presidential candidate Ron Desantis, prohibits K-12 teachers from discussing sexuality and gender identity in schools.

“It’s especially hateful to see authorities take aim at books about race and racism and against LGBTQ authors and those of color,” Pink added in her statement.

The pop singer has planned performances in Miami and Sunrise, Florida, on Nov. 13 and 14, and two shows in Orlando on Nov. 18 and 19 to close out her Trustfall tour. She will hand out books on Florida’s banned list at each show.

“We have made so many strides toward equality in this country and no one should want to see this progress reversed,” Pink said.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pink-away-banned-books-florida-191600973.html

image-60.png

image-57.png

Here's some interesting data from the site listed in the OP, Pen America. https://pen.org/report/book-bans-pressure-to-censor/

37 percent include themes or instances of violence and physical abuse (n = 2180). Of note, within this category, 1,134 instances are books that include episodes of sexual assault, which is 19 percent of all instances of books banned.

27 percent detail sexual experiences between characters (n = 1,560).

They don't give any figures for overlap, if any, in their statistics. But the above represents about half of all books banned by public schools. That is about half the books banned include explicit sexuality, domestic violence, or rape sequences. I really don't see how material including any of that is subject matter for a K - 12 public school in any form. That's for starters.

This reminiscent of the Nazi book burning campaign; apparently the Magatards are ready to use the same tactics as the Nazi did in 1933.

Many German students were complicit in the Nazi book burning campaign. They were known as Deutsche Studentenschaft, and when they ran out of books in their own libraries they turned to independent bookstores. Libraries were asked to stock their shelves with material that stood up to Hitler's standards, and destroy anything that did not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_book_burnings

Today in this country are Magatards planing to stock book selves with material that promotes their ideology of hate, bigotry, and racism????

It's hard to believe we have book bans in the country?!!

[FONT=&]Pink announced Monday she plans to hand out 2,000 banned books during her four concert dates in Florida. “Books have held a special joy for me from the time I was a child, and that’s why I am unwilling to stand by and watch while books are banned by schools,” she said in a press release.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]The three-time Grammy-winning singer announced her collaboration with the national free speech organization PEN America during an Instagram Live with Amanda Gorman, the youngest inaugural poet in the U.S. Pink will also work with bookseller Books & Books to distribute four books from PEN America’s Index of Banned Books: Todd Parr’s “The Family Book,” Gorman’s “The Hill We Climb,” Toni Morrison’s “Beloved,” and Stacia Deutsch’s “Girls Who Code.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]Florida leads the country in book bans. In a study during the 2022 to 2023 school year, PEN America recorded more than 3,300 book bans across the U.S., a 33% jump from the previous school year. Of those books, 40% of the bans occur in Florida school districts, with 1,406 books off the shelf. Texas placed second with 625 bans. Book bans most often target female authors, LGBTQ authors, and authors of color. For example, the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, backed by Florida governor and presidential candidate Ron Desantis, prohibits K-12 teachers from discussing sexuality and gender identity in schools.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]“It’s especially hateful to see authorities take aim at books about race and racism and against LGBTQ authors and those of color,” Pink added in her statement.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]The pop singer has planned performances in Miami and Sunrise, Florida, on Nov. 13 and 14, and two shows in Orlando on Nov. 18 and 19 to close out her Trustfall tour. She will hand out books on Florida’s banned list at each show.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]“We have made so many strides toward equality in this country and no one should want to see this progress reversed,” Pink said.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pink-away-banned-books-florida-191600973.html
[/FONT]

image-60.png

image-57.png

You realize there's no actual ban on books right? This is like saying there is a ban on alcohol because it's not sold to people under the age of 21. You people are utter morons.

All of the books listed are available to anyone who wants to read them... I get lots of book donations that are not appropriate for the classrooms and groups I'm involved with... they are offered instead to parents who then have the discretion to give them to their children if they like...

All of the books listed are available to anyone who wants to read them... I get lots of book donations that are not appropriate for the classrooms and groups I'm involved with... they are offered instead to parents who then have the discretion to give them to their children if they like...

Why are you trying to treat these people as if they are rational thinking beings?

e7EFoDg.jpg

Many German students were complicit in the Nazi book burning campaign. They were known as Deutsche Studentenschaft, and when they ran out of books in their own libraries they turned to independent bookstores. Libraries were asked to stock their shelves with material that stood up to Hitler's standards, and destroy anything that did not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_book_burnings

Today in this country are Magatards planing to stock book selves with material that promotes their ideology of hate, bigotry, and racism????

In FL they must believe that learning that some people experience(d) discrimination, that some ppl aren't binary, that some ppl have different family set-ups than their cherished white nuclear family might cause their poor little snowflake kids to melt. Guess what? Kids already know this stuff, particularly if they have Internet access. So rather than protecting the kids from the horrors of racism and bigotry against LGBTQ ppl, they're teaching them that it's okay to despise those who are different.

So much for Jesus and what He taught, eh?

We have boxes of books in storage... and that's probably where they will stay...I've been offering a set of three from the https://gendercool.org/ series for quite some time no takers... three expensive books with nothing but a lot of big print...;)

So how did it go?Those books will be in the trash on the way out...;)

And "Mary Trump's tell-all book will be in the dollar bin in a week, Kaep will go broke, the Red Hen Restaurant is going out of business." -- Nostradumbass TOP

:laugh: :rofl2: :laugh:

In FL they must believe that learning that some people experience(d) discrimination, that some ppl aren't binary, that some ppl have different family set-ups than their cherished white nuclear family might cause their poor little snowflake kids to melt. Guess what? Kids already know this stuff, particularly if they have Internet access. So rather than protecting the kids from the horrors of racism and bigotry against LGBTQ ppl, they're teaching them that it's okay to despise those who are different.

So much for Jesus and what He taught, eh?

Well put

Back