Pizza

I like a 70% hydration it makes a very nice dough. Hay you ever tried a poolish or a biga technique? I agree about a 100% whole grain. I don't even cook 100% whole grain bread. Are you cooking it on a pan?
A sourdough starter doesn't really need a poolish or biga. I autolyse my whole grains for a few hours then add unbleached bread flour right before kneading. Like you, I also use half the recommended salt. A good pizza requires a really good bread. I make a thin focaccia without all the oil, then add sauce and top with a little cheese and tell everyone it's pizza.

A sourdough starter doesn't really need a poolish or biga. I autolyse my whole grains for a few hours then add unbleached bread flour right before kneading. Like you, I also use half the recommended salt. A good pizza requires a really good bread. I make a thin focaccia without all the oil, then add sauce and top with a little cheese and tell everyone it's pizza.
:laugh: Sounds delish take a pic next time you make it.

How much water and flour and how long do you use.

Last edited:
:laugh: Sounds delish take a pic next time you make it.

How much water and flour and how long do you use.
All of my doughs add up to a 72% hydration: sourdough starter 100% hydration, whole grain autolyse 100% hydration for 3 hours, and enough water for the bread flour to bring it down to 72% hydration. I'm not good enough to work with dough wetter than that. I don't like the taste of fried bread so I use parchment paper instead of oil for my focaccia pizza crust.

I lied about expense in my pizza rules because I prefer a high quality salami instead of cheap, greasy pepperoni, it doesn't add that much to the overall cost. The less oil, grease, and salt on a pizza the better. Where I come from a pizza should be able to sit on the counter at room temperature for everyone to grab a snack as they get home. Another reasons to pass down the tradition.

All of my doughs add up to a 72% hydration: sourdough starter 100% hydration, whole grain autolyse 100% hydration for 3 hours, and enough water for the bread flour to bring it down to 72% hydration. I'm not good enough to work with dough wetter than that. I don't like the taste of fried bread so I use parchment paper instead of oil for my focaccia pizza crust.

I lied about expense in my pizza rules because I prefer a high quality salami instead of cheap, greasy pepperoni, it doesn't add that much to the overall cost. The less oil, grease, and salt on a pizza the better. Where I come from a pizza should be able to sit on the counter at room temperature for everyone to grab a snack as they get home. Another reasons to pass down the tradition.
72 % is pretty wet so I personally have never gone more than 70%.. I have seen Vito handle 80% but it looks messy. 70% is what works best for me.

I have made some great Focaccia bread a couple times . Its crunchy on the bottom and soft on the top. Its easy to make. Its from a 100+ year old Italian recipe . I used 00 pizza flour . Here is the video.

I have made some great Focaccia bread a couple times . Its crunchy on the bottom and soft on the top. Its easy to make. Its from a 100+ year old Italian recipe . I used 00 pizza flour . Here is the video.
Focaccia is fun, tasty, inexpensive, and a good way to practice working with a wet dough. There's a video out there I'll try to find that rolls up the focaccia with all the toppings inside then cuts it like cinnamon rolls before baking. It's seems way too difficult but I have to try it once.

Anyone here like to cook their own pizza. I enjoy making my own pizza dough. Right now I cook in a regular electric oven. I have asked for a wood fire or gas fired out door pizza oven for Christmas. Anyway I prefer a 70% hydration dough and I use a 00 flour. It makes a very pliable dough. Comes out crispy and soft crust. This video explains how to do it. I use half the salt that he recommends but everything else is the same.

If you have to cook in a regular oven I strongly recommend you just put sauce on your dough and no other toppings then cook at the highest temp your oven can go. When the crust starts to brown then remove and add toppings and return to the oven until cheese is melted. Also a pizza stone is mandatory.

One of the top two pizza flours sold. https://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caput...ild=1&keywords=00+flour&qid=1624652814&sr=8-6

What a good tip about the toppings. Thanks.

What a good tip about the toppings. Thanks.
Be sure to also try the focaccia bread is a very good recipe. My wife loves it.

Yes if you cook the crust with sauce till brown then add the ingredients it works better. When these guys cook pizza in a pizza oven they are cooking at 800-900 degrees the best most electric ovens can do is 550 degrees. So if you put the sauce on your dough and cook till the crust browns some then put the cheese and topping on and cook till the cheese melts you will be happier with the results. And like I said a pizza stone is mandatory.

Yes if you cook the crust with sauce till brown then add the ingredients it works better. When these guys cook pizza in a pizza oven they are cooking at 800-900 degrees the best most electric ovens can do is 550 degrees. So if you put the sauce on your dough and cook till the crust browns some then put the cheese and topping on and cook till the cheese melts you will be happier with the results. And like I said a pizza stone is mandatory.

God Bless U!

These hyper policaical fucks have no clue who regressive they are.

Food/sex/drugs/how the mission is going.

Back