Police Brutality Today

Timshel

Milwaukee thinking about how it can better handle complaints after FBI investigation was necessary to gain justice in local case.

http://www.officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=40420

I have sometimes felt the only good use of the FBI is as a check on local cops. The civil rights era was illustrative of that. But there is a real concern of violating double jeopardy rules. Maybe, some local/state agency that enjoys indepent power could do the job.

Repeat offenders facing lawsuit in NO after a man is dragged from his family business, roughed up and tasered while in handcuffs. Video of the incident mysteriously disappeared.

http://abc26.trb.com/news/wgno_news_022808nopdofficersaccusedofbrutality,0,7029044.story

In the Albany case where a man's face was ground into the pavement the Police Brutality Association President defends the cop. The other cops say he was in the car and they would never lie.

http://capitalnews9.com/content/hea...-in-albany-police-brutality-suit/Default.aspx

I have already said why I feel it is important to relay this info. I am sure you'd prefer to hear about britney or stories that might encourage people to push for more government.

I bush bash because of what he has done to MY country.

Same reason as String does bash police.
Bush however is THE man, bad cops are thinly scattered out.

I do however do it some just to rub it in to the bush supporters past and present on how stupit they were/are.

Last edited:
They are not so thinly scattered and the fact that the system/society has a knee jerk defensive reaction to any accusations against them, the bad ones are emboldened and protected.

Yep the cops protect their own, just like lawyers , educators, and doctors do.
One of the problems with letting an entity regulate iteslf.

They are not so thinly scattered and the fact that the system/society has a knee jerk defensive reaction to any accusations against them, the bad ones are emboldened and protected.

I admit to having an occassional knee-jerk reaction in favor of cops but I've also had a cop kick my ass so I know what they are capable of.

Yep the cops protect their own, just like lawyers , educators, and doctors do.
One of the problems with letting an entity regulate iteslf.

Exactly, and because police forces are a highly socialized state system we have "self regulation." Same thing that happens when we create fascist/nationalist industry regulatory systems. Market checks are removed and the criminals are protected.

That's why some people support maintaining the better functioning market checks and injecting market incentives into state monopolies against idiots that advocate more centrally controlled government.

Since some cannot fathom private systems in police, education, etc., we should rely on divided government (from local to state to federal as well as checks and balances between branches) and injecting market-like solutions where possible.

Exactly, and because police forces are a highly socialized state system we have "self regulation." Same thing that happens when we create fascist/nationalist industry regulatory systems. Market checks are removed and the criminals are protected.

That's why some people support maintaining the better functioning market checks and injecting market incentives into state monopolies against idiots that advocate more centrally controlled government.

Since some cannot fathom private systems in police, education, etc., we should rely on divided government (from local to state to federal as well as checks and balances between branches) and injecting market-like solutions where possible.

Umm not sure where you are going with that , but I do not think a merc/corporate based police force is a good idea.

I'm not against what you are saying here. What would be the ideal structure you see for the police department?

Come on guys, quit piling on the cops. They're all good inside. Every last one of them.

Besides those people were dressing slutty and deserved it.

Umm not sure where you are going with that , but I do not think a merc/corporate based police force is a good idea.

Captured regulatory agencies are examples of "self regulation." Since this is common, inherent to the nature of government and expected with an understanding of Public Choice theory, it's those calling for more and more regulation and centralization of those powers that are really advocating "self regulation."

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture[/ame]

I'm not against what you are saying here. What would be the ideal structure you see for the police department?

Well, I think private security/police might be best, but like I said most can't grasp that and refuse to even consider it.

I don't know for sure the best way to set it up under the state. I mentioned having the FBI as a check on state and local police. The Milwaukee notion of seperating a ploice brutality DA from normal DA offices where they are dependent and partner with police is interesting. Maybe, more powerful citizen boards. These are all just ideas.

Ohh Pleeze a private police force ?
Yep like that would work better.

Like I said, i don't expect dogmatic statist to consider such heresy, so I don't bother arguing for it. I will just point you to Rothbard and David Friedman if you are truly interested.

Like I said, i don't expect dogmatic statist to consider such heresy, so I don't bother arguing for it. I will just point you to Rothbard and David Friedman if you are truly interested.

I have seen the problems arising in KY from private guards in privitized prisons in KY.
Now you think a privitized police force would work ?

Back