Poor Southern Whites

Cancel7

Banned
This is pathetic. I know that the white people depicted in this article, and there are plenty of them here - considering their demographic, white, rural, deep south residents - voted for the two oilmen, twice. And now they are actually "praying" for lower gas prices. I feel sorry for them...to a point.

Rural U.S. Takes Worst Hit as Gas Tops $4 Average
By CLIFFORD KRAUSS
TCHULA, Miss. — Gasoline prices reached a national average of $4 a gallon for the first time over the weekend, adding more strain to motorists across the country.

But the pain is not being felt uniformly. Across broad swaths of the South, Southwest and the upper Great Plains, the combination of low incomes, high gas prices and heavy dependence on pickup trucks and vans is putting an even tighter squeeze on family budgets.

Here in the Mississippi Delta, some farm workers are borrowing money from their bosses so they can fill their tanks and get to work. Some are switching jobs for shorter commutes.

People are giving up meat so they can buy fuel. Gasoline theft is rising. And drivers are running out of gas more often, leaving their cars by the side of the road until they can scrape together gas money.

The disparity between rural America and the rest of the country is a matter of simple home economics. Nationwide, Americans are now spending about 4 percent of their take-home income on gasoline. By contrast, in some counties in the Mississippi Delta, that figure has surpassed 13 percent.

As a result, gasoline expenses are rivaling what families spend on food and housing.

“This crisis really impacts those who are at the economic margins of society, mostly in the rural areas and particularly parts of the Southeast,” said Fred Rozell, retail pricing director at the Oil Price Information Service, a fuel analysis firm. “These are people who have to decide between food and transportation.”

A survey by Mr. Rozell’s firm late last month found that the gasoline crisis is taking the highest toll, as a percentage of income, on people in rural areas of the South, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming and North and South Dakota.

With the exception of rural Maine, the Northeast appears least affected by gasoline prices because people there make more money and drive shorter distances, or they take a bus or train to work.

But across Mississippi and the rural South, little public transit is available and people have no choice but to drive to work. Since jobs are scarce, commutes are frequently 20 miles or more. Many of the vehicles on the roads here are old rundown trucks, some getting 10 or fewer miles to the gallon.

The survey showed that of the 13 counties where people spent 13 percent or more of their family income on gasoline, 5 were located in Mississippi, 4 were in Alabama, 3 were in Kentucky and 1 was in West Virginia. While people here in Holmes County spent an average of 15.6 percent of their income on gasoline, people in Nassau County, N.Y., spent barely more than 2 percent, according to the survey.

Economists say that despite widespread concern about gasoline prices, the nationwide impact of the oil crisis has so far been gentler than during the oil crises of the 1970s and 1980s, when shortages caused long lines at the pump, set off inflation and drove the economy into recession.

Americans on average now spend about 4 percent of their after-tax income on transportation fuels, according to Brian A. Bethune, an economist at Global Insight, a forecasting firm. That compares with 4.5 percent in early 1981, the highest point since World War II. At its lowest point, in 1998, that share dropped to 1.9 percent.

“Gas prices have doubled over the last year but the economy has not fallen off the cliff,” said Rajeev Dhawan, director of the Economic Forecasting Center at Georgia State University. “But for the rural lower income people, as a proportion of their income the rise of gas prices is very high.”

While people everywhere are talking about gasoline prices these days, some folks in Tchula (the T is silent) have gone beyond talking.

Anthony Clark, a farm worker from Tchula, says he prays every night for lower gasoline prices. He recently decided not to fix his broken 1992 Chevrolet Astro van because he could not afford the fuel. Now he hires friends and family members to drive him around to buy food and medicine for his diabetic aunt, and his boss sends a van to pick him up for the 10-mile commute to work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/b...06448-J70DNt2bFyRTmNISu0SmaA&pagewanted=print

As a white person living in the rural south, I can only say don't feel sorry for me.

Perhaps its too early, but I didn't see "white" in the article. I saw southern, but not white. I have worked in Tchula MS (corps of engineer project years ago). If they interviewed a white person there, they had to work to find him. The town is almost totally black.

The high gas prices are hitting hardest, the socio-economic groups that can afford it the least. The truck is a part of the southern life. Its not about rednecks or whatever. The rural southerner makes good use of his truck. But gas mileage is one area it fails us.

As a white person living in the rural south, I can only say don't feel sorry for me.

Perhaps its too early, but I didn't see "white" in the article. I saw southern, but not white. I have worked in Tchula MS (corps of engineer project years ago). If they interviewed a white person there, they had to work to find him. The town is almost totally black.

The high gas prices are hitting hardest, the socio-economic groups that can afford it the least. The truck is a part of the southern life. Its not about rednecks or whatever. The rural southerner makes good use of his truck. But gas mileage is one area it fails us.

Because the Ny Times slide show which accompanied this article, shows some white farmers interviewed for the piece.

And by the way, Solitary, I would feel sorry for anybody who has to choose between gas and food. You're posting on this board during working hours, which indicates you're not in that position. It's not a matter of feeling sorry for southern whites, I think you willfully misunderstood my post. But rather, of feeling sorry for anyone in that kind of abject poverty.

Though, when it comes to a two time Bush voter, which a rural, White, male from the deep south would TEND to be (not definite), my sympathy would go just so far.

This is pathetic. I know that the white people depicted in this article, and there are plenty of them here - considering their demographic, white, rural, deep south residents - voted for the two oilmen, twice. And now they are actually "praying" for lower gas prices. I feel sorry for them...to a point.

Rural U.S. Takes Worst Hit as Gas Tops $4 Average
By CLIFFORD KRAUSS
TCHULA, Miss. — Gasoline prices reached a national average of $4 a gallon for the first time over the weekend, adding more strain to motorists across the country.

But the pain is not being felt uniformly. Across broad swaths of the South, Southwest and the upper Great Plains, the combination of low incomes, high gas prices and heavy dependence on pickup trucks and vans is putting an even tighter squeeze on family budgets.

Here in the Mississippi Delta, some farm workers are borrowing money from their bosses so they can fill their tanks and get to work. Some are switching jobs for shorter commutes.

People are giving up meat so they can buy fuel. Gasoline theft is rising. And drivers are running out of gas more often, leaving their cars by the side of the road until they can scrape together gas money.

The disparity between rural America and the rest of the country is a matter of simple home economics. Nationwide, Americans are now spending about 4 percent of their take-home income on gasoline. By contrast, in some counties in the Mississippi Delta, that figure has surpassed 13 percent.

As a result, gasoline expenses are rivaling what families spend on food and housing.

“This crisis really impacts those who are at the economic margins of society, mostly in the rural areas and particularly parts of the Southeast,” said Fred Rozell, retail pricing director at the Oil Price Information Service, a fuel analysis firm. “These are people who have to decide between food and transportation.”

A survey by Mr. Rozell’s firm late last month found that the gasoline crisis is taking the highest toll, as a percentage of income, on people in rural areas of the South, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming and North and South Dakota.

With the exception of rural Maine, the Northeast appears least affected by gasoline prices because people there make more money and drive shorter distances, or they take a bus or train to work.

But across Mississippi and the rural South, little public transit is available and people have no choice but to drive to work. Since jobs are scarce, commutes are frequently 20 miles or more. Many of the vehicles on the roads here are old rundown trucks, some getting 10 or fewer miles to the gallon.

The survey showed that of the 13 counties where people spent 13 percent or more of their family income on gasoline, 5 were located in Mississippi, 4 were in Alabama, 3 were in Kentucky and 1 was in West Virginia. While people here in Holmes County spent an average of 15.6 percent of their income on gasoline, people in Nassau County, N.Y., spent barely more than 2 percent, according to the survey.

Economists say that despite widespread concern about gasoline prices, the nationwide impact of the oil crisis has so far been gentler than during the oil crises of the 1970s and 1980s, when shortages caused long lines at the pump, set off inflation and drove the economy into recession.

Americans on average now spend about 4 percent of their after-tax income on transportation fuels, according to Brian A. Bethune, an economist at Global Insight, a forecasting firm. That compares with 4.5 percent in early 1981, the highest point since World War II. At its lowest point, in 1998, that share dropped to 1.9 percent.

“Gas prices have doubled over the last year but the economy has not fallen off the cliff,” said Rajeev Dhawan, director of the Economic Forecasting Center at Georgia State University. “But for the rural lower income people, as a proportion of their income the rise of gas prices is very high.”

While people everywhere are talking about gasoline prices these days, some folks in Tchula (the T is silent) have gone beyond talking.

Anthony Clark, a farm worker from Tchula, says he prays every night for lower gasoline prices. He recently decided not to fix his broken 1992 Chevrolet Astro van because he could not afford the fuel. Now he hires friends and family members to drive him around to buy food and medicine for his diabetic aunt, and his boss sends a van to pick him up for the 10-mile commute to work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/b...06448-J70DNt2bFyRTmNISu0SmaA&pagewanted=print

Race isn't mentioned in the article. The only thing I see mentioned in the article is the Mississippi Delta, which is overwhelmingly black.

Prejudiced much?

Race isn't mentioned in the article. The only thing I see mentioned in the article is the Mississippi Delta, which is overwhelmingly black.

Prejudiced much?

Once again, for the very cheap seats, I looked AT THE FUCKING SLIDE SHOW. Some interviewed were white.

Are you saying there are no whites in the rural south who are two time bush voters who are now struggling with gas and food prices?

Is there anyone on here who wants to make that claim? Step on up, and do it.

Once again, for the very cheap seats, I looked AT THE FUCKING SLIDE SHOW. Some interviewed were white.

Are you saying there are no whites in the rural south who are two time bush voters who are now struggling with gas and food prices?

Is there anyone on here who wants to make that claim? Step on up, and do it.

:(

Here you go you fucking morons. What color does this guy look to you?

23528493.JPG

If they voted for Bush twice they are surely rich from the tax cuts by now and shoud not be worring about the price of gas ?

YOU gravitate to poor southern whites like the mental midget that you are.

No, I simply mention that I, generally, and this is regardless of location, I understand that generally, many poor whites are being hurt by the high fuel and food costs. And I do feel sorry even for those who brought it on themselves by voting for bush. But, for bush voters, my sympathy would only go so far. They are victims, yes, however, there was what law enforcement would call contributory behavior.

I guess you will do anything to change the subject from the suffering the high fuel prices you love so much, and are so benefitting from, are causing others, huh?

I don' have much sympathy for two-time rural Bush voters, who supported a trillion dollar war destabilizing war in the middle east, and a supported wreckless Republican policies that weakened the dollar, drove allies away, and caused some oil exporting nations to consider shifting to the Euro.

What did these rubes expect? Informed people from Al Gore, to Paul Krugman, to us liberal posters warned them this would happen.

Praying? LOL Good luck with that. There's no supernatural being living in the clouds that's going to undo the havoc that these rubes willfully enabled.

I can sympathize with Gore voters suffering through no fault of their own, but that's not who the thread was directed at, in spite of all the attempts to divert it.

I don' have much sympathy for two-time rural Bush voters, who supported a trillion dollar war destabilizing war in the middle east, and a supported wreckless Republican policies that weakened the dollar, drove allies away, and caused some oil exporting nations to consider shifting to the Euro.

What did these rubes expect? Informed people from Al Gore, to Paul Krugman, to us liberal posters warned them this would happen.

Praying? LOL Good luck with that. There's no supernatural being living in the clouds that's going to undo the havoc that these rubes willfully enabled.

I can sympathize with Gore voters suffering through no fault of their own, but that's not who the thread was directed at, in spite of all the attempts to divert it.

You took the words out of my mouth. Only I'll go a step further and say I don't feel sorry for the Bush voters that are in this predicament one bit.

You reap what you sow.

Its in the bible ya know.

"and supported wreckless Republican policies that weakened the dollar, drove allies away, and caused some oil exporting nations to consider shifting to the Euro. "

Aside from the war, I don't think most of them had any idea what they were supporting. Bush just seemed like such a good guy next to that elitist windsurfing Kerry, and the kinda guy who could drink beer with you & talk baseball, which is so important when choosing a President.

It's instant karma; you vote for a guy based on idiotic priorities, and within a few years, you're choosing between gas & food....

Back