question

No...I do not even know that forum...although I have participated in probably a dozen.

Two...now defunct/out of business (so I can mention their names here) were ABUZZ, the New York Times/Boston Globe sponsored forum...and Open Salon, the Internet forum of Salon.
We had a large group from a huge board that went down. We landed at a dormant board when the owner was happy to open it up for us. It became Political Groove. V bulletin format...easy to navigate with plenty of bells/whistles.

At one point, there was some sort of weird rating system based on likes, etc. I believe it was a 'reputation' score.

Pretty silly.

We had a large group from a huge board that went down. We landed at a dormant board when the owner was happy to open it up for us. It became Political Groove. V bulletin format...easy to navigate with plenty of bells/whistles.

At one point, there was some sort of weird rating system based on likes, etc. I believe it was a 'reputation' score.

Pretty silly.

Yeah. At almost every one of the forums in which I have participated...the ranking system ends up being abused in one way or another...or becomes the focus of some posters. Often that results in cliques...and if there is anything that will destroy a forum...cliques will!

Occasionally I will use the rater...or thumbs up/down...or Thanks/groans...but for the most part, if I agree with a poster...I comment in agreement. If I disagree...I comment about why I disagree.

I was a strong advocate for "light moderation"...but listening to the regulars' posts in this forum (which gives more leeway than any forum I've ever seen), I suspect I might have been wrong.

The childish "you moron" "you idiot"...or the trash words that don't really add much...are WAY, WAY overdone here. There are some posters who simply CANNOT post without an insult or "fuck this"/"fuck that."

No real need for that. Posters should be using the freedom of expression allowed in more adult ways.

Yeah. At almost every one of the forums in which I have participated...the ranking system ends up being abused in one way or another...or becomes the focus of some posters. Often that results in cliques...and if there is anything that will destroy a forum...cliques will!

Occasionally I will use the rater...or thumbs up/down...or Thanks/groans...but for the most part, if I agree with a poster...I comment in agreement. If I disagree...I comment about why I disagree.

I was a strong advocate for "light moderation"...but listening to the regulars' posts in this forum (which gives more leeway than any forum I've ever seen), I suspect I might have been wrong.

The childish "you moron" "you idiot"...or the trash words that don't really add much...are WAY, WAY overdone here. There are some posters who simply CANNOT post without an insult or "fuck this"/"fuck that."

No real need for that. Posters should be using the freedom of expression allowed in more adult ways.

I agree with the outcome of light moderation (libertarian approach) not working. I think firm lines- no ambiguity, is the best. For instance zero tolerance for trolls. No duplicate accounts, or multiple user names. Moderators should set the tone of good manners, and not participate in mud slinging, clique forming gang-ups.

Back