Rapture anxiety

Cypress

This message board has the distinction of hosting a genuine rapture prediction expert, and I am always curious as to when the next prediction will be unveiled.

Vanished From the Earth

As an evangelical kid, I was terrified of the rapture—and so was everyone I knew. Years after I left the faith, I wanted to understand the power it held over us all.

Other evangelical kids I knew growing up would tell me about their own first rapture scares. They were always triggered by mundane things: Somebody came back from school one day and no one was home. Or someone’s parents didn’t answer a phone call the way they normally would have. In an instant, the cosmic outlook we’d been instilled with for our entire young lives would coalesce with shocking clarity: Was this it? Had the rapture happened? Were we going to face judgment alone?

It’s hard to overstate how large the rapture loomed while I was growing up in the evangelical world. As a child, I was taught that I might live to see the end of the world. I learned how to see it coming, too: How the nation of Israel was “God’s timepiece” hitting marks on a prophetic timeline, how the machinations of the Catholic Church and the United Nations would soon come to a head and form a one-world government, how God would be driven out of America’s public square as people looked to other things for salvation.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/05/rapture-fear-evangelical-americans-church-miller.html

I have to admit, there's a few Posters I would like to see 'Raptured'. (has anybody seen Phantasmal lately?)

This message board has the distinction of hosting a genuine rapture prediction expert, and I am always curious as to when the next prediction will be unveiled.

I remember in the 80's when my friend and I were apprehensive and excited about the predicted rapture on that day. We were walking that day and saw beautiful colors in the sky and we were hollering about it. LOL. We were like this is it!

I remember in the 80's when my friend and I were apprehensive and excited about the predicted rapture on that day. We were walking that day and saw beautiful colors in the sky and we were hollering about it. LOL. We were like this is it!
I have been drinking holy water in case Stretch is correct in his next rapture prediction.

I remember some of my xtian friends got caught up in that nut bar stuff , it was when the European union was being formed ,they would talk about their wacko book of revelation and how it was all connected with the end times, which looks it was written by someone on a bad LSD trip or licked a poison toad

They showed us movies in church when I was a child that had the folks that were "Left Behind" and their tribulation. One would not want that.

I knew, even then, that if the rapture happened, that I would be one of those folks... it actually was quite terrifying.

One time I came home from school in the springtime... the door was open, the water was running in the kitchen, lights were on everywhere... nobody was home. It took a while for me to calm down.

Later I found out that the water in our area had been shut off along with the electricity for some upgrade or something. I don't remember the full reason.. I was probably 7, maybe 8. My mother was over at a neighbor's house, and Jesus had not come and took my family from me.

They showed us movies in church when I was a child that had the folks that were "Left Behind" and their tribulation. One would not want that.

I knew, even then, that if the rapture happened, that I would be one of those folks... it actually was quite terrifying.

One time I came home from school in the springtime... the door was open, the water was running in the kitchen, lights were on everywhere... nobody was home. It took a while for me to calm down.

Later I found out that the water in our area had been shut off along with the electricity for some upgrade or something. I don't remember. I was probably 7.

As someone else said, that's child abuse.

I was raised Lutheran; the rapture is not part of their dogma. Didn't hear about it till I was an adult. I was mostly excited by all the goodies the raptured would leave behind. lol

Sister Stretch. She predicted the Rapture would happen on a specific date in Oct. 2017. And here we are, sinners all. ;)

Somebody should research to see which board members stopped posting after 23 October 2017.

Maybe we are living in the tribulation and just don't realize it yet?

Later I found out that the water in our area had been shut off along with the electricity for some upgrade or something. I don't remember the full reason.. I was probably 7, maybe 8. My mother was over at a neighbor's house, and Jesus had not come and took my family from me.
The rapture doctrine was invented by American evangelicals in the 1830s.

Rapture doctrine is considered laughable by the Eastern Orthodox church.

The rapture doctrine was invented by American evangelicals in the 1830s.

Rapture doctrine is considered laughable by the Eastern Orthodox church.

I was mostly terrified because even then I knew I did not believe. It was a struggle getting past some of the ingrained responses and impressions that you are given as a member of one of these churches. When I was about 10 I told one of the Youth Pastors I didn't believe.... that was a MISTAKE>....

Holy moly.

In some ways I benefited from my mistake though.

I was signed up for classes in the Bible College, for instance. I learned American Sign Language... (so that I could be forced to translate on Thursday night services). I studied the bible in Greek and Hebrew... I was forced onto the Israeli Dance team, the Art Ministry, and Prison Ministry (I used ASL there too to translate for the folks trying to convert the prisoners). Almost 100% of my life was at that danged building being forced to say and act as if I believed.

However by the time I was 18 I was so frickin' angry at what happened that I believed at that time I would never forgive. Thankfully I was wrong.

Somebody should research to see which board members stopped posting after 23 October 2017.

Maybe we are living in the tribulation and just don't realize it yet?

I hope not because I was planning on picking up a nice truck, maybe some free alcohol. :laugh:

I was mostly terrified because even then I knew I did not believe. It was a struggle getting past some of the ingrained responses and impressions that you are given as a member of one of these churches. When I was about 10 I told one of the Youth Pastors I didn't believe.... that was a MISTAKE>....

Holy moly.

In some ways I benefited from my mistake though.

I was signed up for classes in the Bible College, for instance. I learned American Sign Language... (so that I could be forced to translate on Thursday night services). I studied the bible in Greek and Hebrew... I was forced onto the Israeli Dance team, the Art Ministry, and Prison Ministry (I used ASL there too to translate for the folks trying to convert the prisoners). Almost 100% of my life was at that danged building being forced to say and act as if I believed.

However by the time I was 18 I was so frickin' angry at what happened that I believed at that time I would never forgive. Thankfully I was wrong.
I think teaching children all that rapture and fire and brimstone stuff is just wrong.

I don't even think it is good Christian theology. It is mostly just practiced by conservative Protestant evangelicals.

Back