Recommend Political Books You Think Everybody Should Read Here

Tom, America was named after Amerigo Vespucci who created the first maps of the continents, not after some Welshman.

This guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci

It's fricking hilarious that the Brit got the history wrong on his mocking answer about how Americans don't know their history.

There is a school of thought that says that Richard Amerik gave his name to America, I personally don't know one way or another and I doubt you do either.

http://www.britannia.com/history/naremphist2.html

There is a school of thought that says that Richard Amerik gave his name to America, I personally don't know one way or another and I doubt you do either.

http://www.britannia.com/history/naremphist2.html

Actually I do. You can actually read the book, and the argument in stuff from the time period arguing that Amerigo was trying to "usurp" Columbus. They spoke of 'Amerigo's" maps' and then later when the newest world map was printed, the guy simply named the new continent after the dude who gave him the mapping...

It's pretty well documented and everything. This is the first I've heard a Brit try to claim the continent in the name of some Welshman, and it was funny to read.

And my question would be... If you nation is so riddled with free dentistry, why do you hate to take advantage of it? Are there orthodontists? What about teeth whitening with lasers?

:D (and yes, we are making jokes based on dudes we see on tv and stereotypes just to get your goat.)

Actually I do. You can actually read the book, and the argument in stuff from the time period arguing that Amerigo was trying to "usurp" Columbus. They spoke of 'Amerigo's" maps' and then later when the newest world map was printed, the guy simply named the new continent after the dude who gave him the mapping...

It's pretty well documented and everything. This is the first I've heard a Brit try to claim the continent in the name of some Welshman, and it was funny to read.

And my question would be... If you nation is so riddled with free dentistry, why do you hate to take advantage of it? Are there orthodontists? What about teeth whitening with lasers?

:D (and yes, we are making jokes based on dudes we see on tv and stereotypes just to get your goat.)

So you say, you already admitted that you've never heard of Richard Amerik yet you can claim without any doubt the providence of the name. As for the teeth, do you really want to be associated with the likes of Topspin, Damn Skanky and others who are incapable of original humour so fall back on stereotypes dating back to WW2. Seeing as you care so much, here is a list of 215 dentists in the Sheffield area. It isn't the full number but it gives you some idea.

http://www.accessplace.com/dentist/south-yorkshire/sheffield.htm

Last edited:
So you say, you already admitted that you've never heard of Richard Amerik yet you can claim without any doubt the providence of the name. As for the teeth, do you really want to associated with the likes of Topspin, Damn Skanky and others who are incapable of original humour so fall back on stereotypes dating back to WW2. Seeing as you care so much, here is a list of 215 dentists in the Sheffield area. It isn't the full number but it gives you some idea.

http://www.accessplace.com/dentist/south-yorkshire/sheffield.htm

Are any of them orthodontists? ;)

More on the origins of the name America.

Equally as amazing as the Amerrique theory, the little-known theory that "America" derives from the name of a Bristol-based Welshman, Richard Ameryk, emerged early in the 20th century. It constitutes an incredible Anglicization of the New World — and would, for obvious reasons, infuriate Carew. The theory was developed by Alfred E. Hudd, a member of the Clifton Antiquarian Club, which in 1910 published his work in its proceedings; the paper, "Richard Ameryk and the Name America," had been read to the group two years before. Hudd opens with a reference to Bristol's 1897 celebration of the 400th anniversary of the discovery of North America by John Cabot (Giovanni Caboto), the Italian navigator and explorer who had sailed for England, laying the groundwork for the later British claim to Canada. For his achievement Cabot received a handsome pension conferred upon him by the King, from the hands of the Collectors of Customs of the Port of Bristol. One of these officials, the senior of the two, who was probably the person who handed over the money to the explorer, was named Richard Ameryk (also written Ap Meryke [Welsh] on one deed, and elsewhere written Amerycke) who seems to have been a leading citizen of Bristol at the time. Hudd claims that the name given to the newly found land by the discoverer was "Amerika," in honor of the official from whom he received his pension.
On his return to England the flamboyant Cabot, who dressed in silk, was celebrated as "the Great Admiral." He had a reputation for his extravagance. He purportedly gave one of the islands he explored to a friend, another to his barber, and also promised some Italian friars that they could be bishops. Hudd reasons that if Cabot were so free with his gifts to his poorer friends, it is easy to understand his wish to show gratitude to the King's official, and that he may well have done so by conferring his name on "the new Isle" which, it was thought, lay off the coast of China — Cabot never realized that he had found a continent.
To back his claim that the name America was known in Bristol in the years just before 1500, and well before Waldseemüller's map, Hudd presents the often quoted words of a lost manuscript, one of the "Calendars" in which local events were recorded: "This year [1497], on St. John the Baptist's day [June 24th], the land of America was found by the merchants of Bristowe, in a ship of Bristowe called the 'Mathew,' the which said ship departed from the port Bristowe the 2nd of May and came home again the 6th August following." If Hudd's suggestion is correct, the original manuscript documents the fact that the newly discovered land was already called America in Bristol before that name became known in Europe.
"Amerika," Hudd says, "seems much more like the name of the Bristol Customs official, than that of the Italian [Amerigo] … and having been invented in Bristol, by Cabot, and having been the only name for 'the new island' for more than ten years after its discovery, the resemblance of the name to that of Vespucci struck [the authors of the Cosmosgraphiae Introductio] … (to whom the English 'Richard Ameryk' was quite unknown), and thus through an error of his editor, to Vespucci was transferred the honour that the discoverer of North America, John Cabot, had intended to confer on the Bristolian 'Ameryk.'" Hudd fears that his main evidence, the original manuscript of Bristol's calendar, was lost in a fire and acknowledges that this important piece of the puzzle is missing. However, even if the name America were known in Bristol in 1497, Hudd has taken a majestic leap to suggest Ameryk's name as its origin. No proof exists to substantiate his claim that Cabot actually honored the Welshman by naming America after him. But if the name were indeed known in Bristol then, how was that possible?

http://www.umc.sunysb.edu/surgery/america.html

Last edited:
Tom, America was named after Amerigo Vespucci who created the first maps of the continents, not after some Welshman.

This guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci

It's fricking hilarious that the Brit got the history wrong on his mocking answer about how Americans don't know their history.

I think you will find, upon closer study, that Mr. Ap Merryk has at least as much claim as Mr. Vespucci to the naming of the continent of which you are but a small part.
Remember that U.S. education is known for being of extremely poor quality (save for some fine universities) and history has never been a strong suit of U.S. youth. Not surprising since you have so little.

I think you'll find there is far more supporting evidence in support of Amerigo Vespucci, and that the theory of the Welshman seems to be a desperate attempt by the Brits to grab hold of a piece of history to which they don't hold a strong claim. At least you now understand that there is a person other than some oddly named Welshman that only Brits seem to believe named the continents that is likely to have had something to do with it.

It's not like we call it Columbia and believe that Columbus "discovered" the Americas... Shoot we had both Vikings and Templars here before Columbus...

More on the origins of the name America.

http://www.umc.sunysb.edu/surgery/america.html

Of course, we all know that the Chinese discovered and named America. A Chinese ship upon its return was asked if it had found any new lands. The answer came with a shrug and a shaking of the head by the captain who said, 'Mei Guo'. 'Mei' meaning no, 'guo' meaning country. Young children who asked, 'What lies over the horizon?' Were told 'Mei Guo' and, to this day 'Mei Guo' is the name the Chinese give to America although the meaning has been amended and another 'Mei' is used which means 'Beautiful'.

I think you'll find there is far more supporting evidence in support of Amerigo Vespucci, and that the theory of the Welshman seems to be a desperate attempt by the Brits to grab hold of a piece of history to which they don't hold a strong claim. At least you now understand that there is a person other than some oddly named Welshman that only Brits seem to believe named the continents that is likely to have had something to do with it.

It's not like we call it Columbia and believe that Columbus "discovered" the Americas... Shoot we had both Vikings and Templars here before Columbus...

The bad news is that the people who are now French were the first to make the trip according to recent DNA studies. As far as Mr. Ap Meryk is concerned, that news is equally as new to Brits as it is to learned Americans. At school we were always taught that the continent was named after Vespucci.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

If you had read the quote that I posted then would know that there is evidence that the name was known in Bristol before 1500.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/features/2002/04/29/amerike.shtml

http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Richard:Amerike.htm

If you had read my posts you would know I'm just handing you a ration of it, just because Brits seem to be of two categories, those with an awesome sense of humor and then the larger group of humorless bureaucrats...

nyah-nyah...

If you had read my posts you would know I'm just handing you a ration of it, just because Brits seem to be of two categories, those with an awesome sense of humor and then the larger group of humorless bureaucrats...

nyah-nyah...

My dad is bigger than your dad.

nyah-nyah...

Whereas, when it comes to humour, Americans are in a category all their own.

Seems funny that the britts have their own brand of revisionist history since they lost the war to us.

Now everytime they get their ass in a bind over a war they always come begging for Americans to come and bail their twink asses out.

Back