Recommend Political Books You Think Everybody Should Read Here

Books Liberals Should read:

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith
Challengers to Capitalism - John G. Gurley

Books Libertarians should read.

The Prince - Machiavelli
The Art of War - Sun Tzu

Books Conservatives should read.....if they can.

Fun with Dick and Jane - William S. Gray
Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak
Green Eggs and Ham - Dr. Suess

Mott, does Green Eggs and Ham come in Book on Tape form? (you know us Trojans and the whole reading thing)

Has anyone read the new book The Patriarch about Joe Kennedy? I ordered it last night. The book is over 800 pages, it better be good.

Freakonomics;

Don't take it as fact but it's interesting as it gets. My favorite "18 years after abortion was deemed legal, Mayor Giuliani got credit for a HUGE crime downswing." Meaning unfit parents had the option to abort a child if they felt they would be unfit parents and children with unfit parents are more likely to go to the life of crime. (I only felt the need to elaborate because there are some people who needed that on here :)

Freakonomics;

Don't take it as fact but it's interesting as it gets. My favorite "18 years after abortion was deemed legal, Mayor Giuliani got credit for a HUGE crime downswing." Meaning unfit parents had the option to abort a child if they felt they would be unfit parents and children with unfit parents are more likely to go to the life of crime. (I only felt the need to elaborate because there are some people who needed that on here :)

Some people needed to hear a shitty, illogical premise?

The Almanac of American History is a day by day account of American history since the ninth century AD. When you see the facts all together in order, it makes it easier to understand how we got to be as we are today. That rather silent era after the Civil War up until the twentieth century holds a lot of secrets!

Wait until you find out who President Samuel Tilden was.

According to Wiki, Samuel Tilden was an amazing person in American history;

Samuel Jones Tilden (February 9, 1814 – August 4, 1886) was the Democratic candidate for the U.S. presidency in the disputed election of 1876, one of the most controversial American elections of the 19th century. He was the 25th Governor of New York. A political reformer, he was a Bourbon Democrat who worked closely with the New York City business community, led the fight against the corruption of Tammany Hall, and fought to keep taxes low.

The book I recommend is Iacocca by Lee Iacocca. As a liberal I found his transition from Democrat to Republican, and his ability to turn around both the Ford Motor Company and Chrysler amazing. Fellow liberals can learn alot about the corporate world from Iacocca!

Seriously, read Das Kapital.

Because the majority of people who spout all manner of nonsense about 'Marxism' should actually educate themselves as to what Marxism is.

(clue: it is not what Barack Obama thinks, or does, or dreams about when he's smoking a joint on the Whitehouse lawn)
No thanks. Why should I fill my head with more of something that I already disagree with on the surface? I'm quite certain that Karl Marx was well intentioned, but there's no way in hell that anyone can trust mankind to effectively administer such an undertaking.

But not leftists. They took up the populist and agrarian torch against it, and have carried it into the 21st Century.
Specious reasoning. It's also factually wrong. It has been the Republican party, since the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which has carried the populist and agrarian torch....or maybe that excaped your notice?

Silly progressive, that was centuries ago.
The irony of that comment is that the two greatest Republican Presidents in our nations history, Lincoln and TR, were progressives. Liberals may have invented Capitalism but progressives made it work. Otherwise we'd still be stuck in one boom and bust cycle after another. Which is what ussually happens when Laissez-Faire conservatives try to run the Government. That's why Democrats have had a far better record of guiding economic grown than Republicans have.

Actually one of my favorite books on political science is the sci-fi classic Dune. Frank Herbert does a masterful job of exploring the intersections of Politics, Religion and Power. He was influential in influencing my life in that from reading Dune I learned that ecology/environmentlism was far, far more than just some old Hippie chaining himself to a tree.

The irony of that comment is that the two greatest Republican Presidents in our nations history, Lincoln and TR, were progressives. Liberals may have invented Capitalism but progressives made it work. Otherwise we'd still be stuck in one boom and bust cycle after another. Which is what ussually happens when Laissez-Faire conservatives try to run the Government. That's why Democrats have had a far better record of guiding economic grown than Republicans have.
We're not in a boom and bust cycle now?

Back