Republicans learn lessons why doesn't LIEberman??

I think 80% is skewed as well. That's why I was waiting for a link to the study that provided dixie with that statistic (LOL, as if he reads "studies")

I didn't say that some poll or survey claimed this, and I didn't state 80% were card-carrying Social Conservatives. I said that "about 80%" of the country is Socially Conservative, regardless of party, and I believe this is true... it's my opinion, based largely on who we've elected to lead us, and how they have garnered our votes. Social Liberals struggle to get elected to national office, mainly because Mainstream America is not Socially Liberal. Does this vary to some degree, depending on the social issue? Of course! I'm not claiming it doesn't, but across the board, social conservatism wins out over social liberalism, and always has.

The vast majority of Republicans are Social Conservatives, this is why we always nominate a Social Conservative, and why Rudy will have a difficult time getting nominated in '08. I think that well over half of the Democrats are also Social Conservatives, and this is precisely why you always see the Dem candidate "running to the middle" as the general election approaches. They simply know they can't win without the social conservative vote. Americans have never elected a Social Liberal as president, at least not to my knowledge, and that speaks volumes to the point I am making here.

I didn't say that some poll or survey claimed this, and I didn't state 80% were card-carrying Social Conservatives. I said that "about 80%" of the country is Socially Conservative, regardless of party, and I believe this is true... it's my opinion, based largely on who we've elected to lead us, and how they have garnered our votes. Social Liberals struggle to get elected to national office, mainly because Mainstream America is not Socially Liberal. Does this vary to some degree, depending on the social issue? Of course! I'm not claiming it doesn't, but across the board, social conservatism wins out over social liberalism, and always has.

The vast majority of Republicans are Social Conservatives, this is why we always nominate a Social Conservative, and why Rudy will have a difficult time getting nominated in '08. I think that well over half of the Democrats are also Social Conservatives, and this is precisely why you always see the Dem candidate "running to the middle" as the general election approaches. They simply know they can't win without the social conservative vote. Americans have never elected a Social Liberal as president, at least not to my knowledge, and that speaks volumes to the point I am making here.

well to be honest i think the reason we have the situation we have is due to social conservatives so maybe they should rethink their options next time..

spiraling debt
wars out of control

but thats also part of the problem, social conservatives think they are right about everything, right about jesus, right about politics, right about god right about nearly everything, they wont compromise and will continue down the wrong track as noted by social conservative bush.

well to be honest i think the reason we have the situation we have is due to social conservatives so maybe they should rethink their options next time..

spiraling debt
wars out of control

but thats also part of the problem, social conservatives think they are right about everything, right about jesus, right about politics, right about god right about nearly everything, they wont compromise and will continue down the wrong track as noted by social conservative bush.

Social Conservatism doesn't have a thing to do with the debt or war, rob. How can it be a reason for something it doesn't have anything to do with? That makes no sense whatsoever. We are generally talking about domestic policy, values, morals, decency... those kinds of things are what make up social conservatives, not fiscal or foreign policy, that's a different debate.

One of the most profound examples of American social conservatism, is in our views regarding partial-birth abortions. Go look at any study or poll, and you will find a resounding number of Americans oppose it. Why do some people abandon their staunch support for a "woman's right to choose" to oppose partial-birth? It is a degree of social conservatism. You can't take a poll to measure this, because some people might not consider themselves to be "social conservative" even though, they might very well hold a social conservative viewpoint on certain issues.

It seems to me, some non-thinkers want to pigeon-hole "social conservative" in the same definition of "religious right" and be done with it, and that isn't the case. You can't say, that because religious people are social conservatives, ALL social conservatives are religious wackos. It's stereotypical, it's intellectually dishonest, and it's somewhat bigoted in the way it is done. About 95% of this country associates itself with some belief in a Deity, and most of them will have some degree of social conservatism in their views.

Dixie Translation:

I pulled that stat out of my a$$.

Okay. That's all I needed to know.

Social Conservatism doesn't have a thing to do with the debt or war, rob. How can it be a reason for something it doesn't have anything to do with? That makes no sense whatsoever. We are generally talking about domestic policy, values, morals, decency... those kinds of things are what make up social conservatives, not fiscal or foreign policy, that's a different debate.

One of the most profound examples of American social conservatism, is in our views regarding partial-birth abortions. Go look at any study or poll, and you will find a resounding number of Americans oppose it. Why do some people abandon their staunch support for a "woman's right to choose" to oppose partial-birth? It is a degree of social conservatism. You can't take a poll to measure this, because some people might not consider themselves to be "social conservative" even though, they might very well hold a social conservative viewpoint on certain issues.

It seems to me, some non-thinkers want to pigeon-hole "social conservative" in the same definition of "religious right" and be done with it, and that isn't the case. You can't say, that because religious people are social conservatives, ALL social conservatives are religious wackos. It's stereotypical, it's intellectually dishonest, and it's somewhat bigoted in the way it is done. About 95% of this country associates itself with some belief in a Deity, and most of them will have some degree of social conservatism in their views.

Dixie, i'll 100% give you the partial birth abortion debate, definently i think most americans hold the same view as that is a disgusting practice. even with regard to the deity even me as much as i cant' stand holyrollers, i have no definitive answer to that question. have you been doing drugs dixie you've been actually bringing up good points today. :)

Back