Research reveals what kind of people fall for conspiracy theories

People who believe in conspiracy theories tend to be insecure and paranoid, suggests a new study.

Conspiracy theorists are also likely to be emotionally volatile and impulsive, according to the findings.

But they're not all mentally unstable, say psychologists.

They found that people can be prone to believe in conspiracy theories due to a combination of personality traits and motivations.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...n&cvid=c3a6fbd860264e5bb18f5f97159440ef&ei=66

Shauna Bowes has written a lot of papers: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=3v69BDgAAAAJ&hl=en

This is the paper: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jopy.12588
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/authored-by/Bowes/Shauna+M.#
Looking under the tinfoil hat: Clarifying the personological and psychopathological correlates of conspiracy beliefs
Results
Agreeableness and conscientiousness were significant, albeit modest, negative correlates of conspiracy beliefs, although other general personality dimensions tended to manifest negligible associations. Significant associations between lower-order personality facets and conspiracy beliefs, not evident at the domain level, emerged. Indices of IH were significant negative correlates. Conspiracy beliefs were also associated with a range of personality disorder features and internalizing symptoms.

Conclusions
Our results suggest that the nonclinical individual prone to conspiratorial ideation is somewhat likely to display a complex mixture of traits including distress, immodesty, impulsivity, and negative affect. Future research should investigate potential multiplicative relations among personological variables in predicting conspiracy beliefs.
https://med.emory.edu/departments/psychiatry/programs/cope/team.html
Shauna Bowes, MA, Doctoral Intern
Shauna Bowes, MA, is a sixth year doctoral candidate and second year clinical intern at Emory in the Child and Adolescent Mood Program. Shauna received her Bachelors in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology from Emory University. Shauna loves all things Emory, so she continued on at Emory for her PhD in clinical psychology. Shauna focuses clinically on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) treatments and mindfulness-based interventions. She has experience working with anxiety, mood disorders, and OCD. She has previously worked as a clinical intern or practicum student at the adult OCD IOP program at Emory, Grady NIA project, Treatment Resistant Depression clinic at Emory and Psychology Center at Emory.

How fucked up you people are I'm the head. How you bitches are whiny ass 3 year olds when you don't get your way. I got plenty more but I doubt you can comprehend much more.

Like you are doing now, Yak? When aren't you a whine ass bitch on JPP? I'm curious if there is a topic you can discuss without puking up your bile?

I think, broadly speaking, that there are two sides to whether someone buys into conspiracy theories or not. These are emotional / desire and rational / intellectual / analytical.

On the emotional / desire side, people are more likely to buy a conspiracy theory when they are experiencing negative emotions and the desired outcome isn't happening. It is a way of explaining away why things are going wrong for them.

On the rational / intellectual / analytical side, people who are uncurious, not particularly bright--regardless of level of education--and tend to be irrational are far more likely to accept a conspiracy theory than persons who are the opposite.

So, someone likely to buy into conspiracy theories is also likely to be emotional, unable to control their desires, irrational, mundane intellectually, and uncurious. They could start out that way, or they could have outside influences like heavy drug use, or other factors weighing on them.

Since people who are impulsive and unable to control their desires, and who lack intellect will also be ones that tend to find themselves in dire economic, social, legal, political straights where things are going wrong for them simply because of their own actions, they buy into conspiracy theories as a way to pass the blame for their failures onto others.

I think, broadly speaking, that there are two sides to whether someone buys into conspiracy theories or not. These are emotional / desire and rational / intellectual / analytical.

On the emotional / desire side, people are more likely to buy a conspiracy theory when they are experiencing negative emotions and the desired outcome isn't happening. It is a way of explaining away why things are going wrong for them.

On the rational / intellectual / analytical side, people who are uncurious, not particularly bright--regardless of level of education--and tend to be irrational are far more likely to accept a conspiracy theory than persons who are the opposite.

So, someone likely to buy into conspiracy theories is also likely to be emotional, unable to control their desires, irrational, mundane intellectually, and uncurious. They could start out that way, or they could have outside influences like heavy drug use, or other factors weighing on them.

Since people who are impulsive and unable to control their desires, and who lack intellect will also be ones that tend to find themselves in dire economic, social, legal, political straights where things are going wrong for them simply because of their own actions, they buy into conspiracy theories as a way to pass the blame for their failures onto others.

I don't buy your argument because I think the term "conspiracy theory" is loaded to begin with.

I don't buy your argument because I think the term "conspiracy theory" is loaded to begin with.

When I use "conspiracy theory" here I am including pseudoscience, superstition, paranoia, and the like.

111_front.jpg

Start with Shermer's book.

So, you believe it was a conspiracy do you?

I think you are using words someone else gave to you in order to argue a narrative laid out by someone other than you. I don't see how you can win from where you're starting.

You want another example?

Judeo-Christian. More words that don't make sense together but I bet you'll argue in favor of them even though you're old enough to know better...because someone said them enough for you to think they're legit.

You're not trying to win, you're just trying to be seen as useful and intelligent by people who don't give a flying fuck about you in the first place.

I think you are using words someone else gave to you in order to argue a narrative laid out by someone other than you. I don't see how you can win from where you're starting.

You want another example?

Judeo-Christian. More words that don't make sense together but I bet you'll argue in favor of them even though you're old enough to know better...because someone said them enough for you to think they're legit.

You're not trying to win, you're just trying to be seen as useful and intelligent by people who don't give a flying fuck about you in the first place.

Nope. I'm combination troll and research deamon. As for Judeo-Christian, I'm Shin Buddhist so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I wonder what kind of brain damage someone has to have to believe a person with a penis is actually a woman because that person thinks they're a woman? I mean a person who believed something like that would have to ignorant of something as basic a biology. No one could be THAT stupid could they? I mean believing in a conspiracy may be kooky but denying biology is a sign of retardation right?

One cannot discuss biology with an idiot and it is not a conspiracy theory that a female may be born in a males body or visa versa.

Here is just a thought.

The Republicans are using Conspiracy theories, but, they don't care if people actually believe them or not.

Most people do not. Not even the Republicans. The Republicans do not care if they are true or not. They use them for rallying cries.

And even though no one really believes them, it is a way for them to publicly just ignore the true facts, create fear, create chaos, create doubt, create anarchy, use them as distractions, use them to create more hatred towards their political arch rivals.

So they just go along with them, and repeat them, thinking this is their way to own the Democrats by keeping them feeling like their whole political chances are hopeless with so much resistance towards them and reality by the Conspiracy theorists.

It's all strategically planned, calculated, typical for them, easily predictable, and expected. THIS IS WHO THE REPUBLICANS ARE NOW!

It is a Conspiracy Theory led Rebellion, by the most deplorable and dishonest morally inept people in this country, who only care about themselves and the power they can accumulate to force their ways on others.

Very true. Republicans know Trump lost the election, is a serial assaulter of women, cheats on his taxes and tried to overthrow this govt but they are just too weak to accept those facts. They just despise Democrats so much that they are unwilling to admit they lost to them and it's easier for them to deny everything about their fuhrer. It is so much like 1939 Germany that it is scary.

Back