Right's reaction to Harris shows how far women/minorities need to go

I actually did and didn’t see anything, that’s why I asked.

Really? What did you google?

Sorry; I don't like mentioning some names. Weird thing I've got. But it should be easy to google. He has had numerous billionaires assist him, but there is one at the top of the list (from everything I've seen & read).

A fair critique, but some partisan angle has to be applied to the sheer scale of it on the right compared to the left. On the left, there are SOME comments. On the right, it's pervasive.
Nothing fair about it. Haley has been widely respected by Democrats. The Right traffics in personal attacks because Trump traffics in them.

Really? What did you google?

Sorry; I don't like mentioning some names. Weird thing I've got. But it should be easy to google. He has had numerous billionaires assist him, but there is one at the top of the list (from everything I've seen & read).
Peter Thiel has been the biggest backer of him politically but you said his career. I’ve read nothing of some billionaire sugar daddy giving him a job at the corporate law firm where he worked or in the Silicon Valley.

Thats why I’m trying to understand the idea he was just handed his role in either location.

Nothing fair about it. Haley has been widely respected by Democrats. The Right traffics in personal attacks because Trump traffics in them.
Haley has been widely respected by Democrats? The ones who melted down because her mom called her by her middle name since birth and that she’s not Indian enough? That’s showing respect to someone?

Peter Thiel has been the biggest backer of him politically but you said his career. I’ve read nothing of some billionaire sugar daddy giving him a job at the corporate law firm where he worked or in the Silicon Valley.

Thats why I’m trying to understand the idea he was just handed his role in either location.
Thiel hired him for his investment firm, from everything I've read.

Thiel hired him for his investment firm, from everything I've read.
Yes, he hired him. He hired many other people as well. Are you suggesting he didn’t have the ability or pedigree to work in the Silicon Valley? If that is the case what was in it for Thiel?

Yes, he hired him. He hired many other people as well. Are you suggesting he didn’t have the ability or pedigree to work in the Silicon Valley? If that is the case what was in it for Thiel?

I mean, you literally just posted: " I’ve read nothing of some billionaire sugar daddy giving him a job at the corporate law firm where he worked or in the Silicon Valley."

Haley has been widely respected by Democrats? The ones who melted down because her mom called her by her middle name since birth and that she’s not Indian enough? That’s showing respect to someone?
Cherry-picking is dishonest and lazy, easy to do.

I mean, you literally just posted: " I’ve read nothing of some billionaire sugar daddy giving him a job at the corporate law firm where he worked or in the Silicon Valley."
Yes, Sugar Daddy implies someone giving you a job (that you couldn’t get on your own)

He got hired at his firm. That difference seems pretty clear to me. I guess I don’t understand the surprise that someone who went to Yale Law School could get a job in the Silicon Valley.

If Vance was unqualified and had to be given the job as you suggest, why would Thiel do that?

Cherry-picking is dishonest and lazy, easy to do.
No disrespect, but please. This isn't my first rodeo. Democrats liked her for speaking out against Trump, that’s it. Those comments are not cherry picked, it was a dominant theme when speaking about her.

Yes, Sugar Daddy implies someone giving you a job (that you couldn’t get on your own)

He got hired at his firm. That difference seems pretty clear to me. I guess I don’t understand the surprise that someone who went to Yale Law School could get a job in the Silicon Valley.

If Vance was unqualified and had to be given the job as you suggest, why would Thiel do that?

I didn't say he was unqualified.

This is a real stretch. There isn't much comparison, imo - but you're free to your opinion.

And when did I say "sugar daddy?"

No disrespect, but please. This isn't my first rodeo. Democrats liked her for speaking out against Trump, that’s it. Those comments are not cherry picked, it was a dominant theme when speaking about her.

I'd disagree w/ that also. Dems liked her because she represented a much better choice on the Republican side.

Some people actually want to see strong candidates on both sides.

I didn't say he was unqualified.

This is a real stretch. There isn't much comparison, imo - but you're free to your opinion.

And when did I say "sugar daddy?"
I said sugar daddy and then you quoted my post. (You didn’t say it)

You said his career, but now specifically his job at Thiel’s firm was handed to him (implying he didn’t earn it). I’ve seen a lot written about his time in SF but I had not heard that argument made before.

I'd disagree w/ that also. Dems liked her because she represented a much better choice on the Republican side.

On top of what I wrote go read all the comments about her when Dems felt she didn’t stand up to Trump enough. She was not someone Dems respected.

Yes, she represented traditional Republican government; rejected the fundamentally corrupt personality driven government her party had mostly surrendered to. Now she's surrendered. Have to wonder what the party will be when Trump is gone not long from now.

I said sugar daddy and then you quoted my post. (You didn’t say it)

You said his career, but now specifically his job at Thiel’s firm was handed to him (implying he didn’t earn it). I’ve seen a lot written about his time in SF but I had not heard that argument made before.

I didn't say that, cawacko. I didn't say it was "handed to him." I said the same guy has been behind his career - both private, and political. That's a bit coincidental.

This is a weak comparison to me. Harris has had to fight misogyny and racism every step of the way. Other politicians opened doors for her - but there is nothing to indicate that she didn't earn that. She didn't have a billionaire giving her a job and then guiding her whole career.

She has had to overcome much more. I don't even think that's disputable. And your "Dems do it too" - while fair - is also inaccurate in this case. Look at the scale of the response on the right. Slept her way to the top....DEI hire..."stupid." Give me a break. It is pervasive. Your comparisons fall woefully flat, and reflect little more than standard devil's advocacy.

I didn't say that, cawacko. I didn't say it was "handed to him." I said the same guy has been behind his career - both private, and political. That's a bit coincidental.

This is a weak comparison to me. Harris has had to fight misogyny and racism every step of the way. Other politicians opened doors for her - but there is nothing to indicate that she didn't earn that. She didn't have a billionaire giving her a job and then guiding her whole career.

She has had to overcome much more. I don't even think that's disputable. And your "Dems do it too" - while fair - is also inaccurate in this case. Look at the scale of the response on the right. Slept her way to the top....DEI hire..."stupid." Give me a break. It is pervasive. Your comparisons fall woefully flat, and reflect little more than standard devil's advocacy.
I’m not trying to make a Dems do it to argument. We’re talking about two individuals. He got hired at Thiels firm but you’re saying it was handed to him (in the OP you said nothing was handed to her as opposed to Vance).

I’m not trying to fight you and nothing we say here matters of course but it’s just an argument I haven’t heard before.

(I’m not trying to appeal to authority because plenty of people go to top schools and don’t do big things, but Ivy League grads working in the VC world aren’t an uncommon thing.)

Assuming that was Democrats’ motivation they didn’t express their “like” for her by mocking her name, did they?

I’m not trying to make a Dems do it to argument. We’re talking about two individuals. He got hired at Thiels firm but you’re saying it was handed to him (in the OP you said nothing was handed to her as opposed to Vance).

I’m not trying to fight you and nothing we say here matters of course but it’s just an argument I haven’t heard before.

(I’m not trying to appeal to authority because plenty of people go to top schools and don’t do big things, but Ivy League grads working in the VC world aren’t an uncommon thing.)

I just see the paths as very different, and see Harris as overcoming more - and dealing w/ a lot that Vance & white men in general do not have to deal with. That isn't race-baiting; it's just fact. It's harder for women & minorities, still.

But you're right, I did say that in the OP. That probably wasn't the best language. I'm sure he was qualified for that job, and he is a Yale grad. But I just see one side of this race as being fairly privileged white dudes, and it sticks in my craw to hear their supporters call her a "DEI hire" when her actual resume is well beyond theirs. If you were just looking at resumes for the job of President, it wouldn't be much of a consideration.

Back