RIP "Ordinary American" ( Katleen Parker)

anatta

100% recycled karma
There’s nothing “everyday” about either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney and why, really, would we want them to be?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini.../12/gJQAoWhVYV_story.html?tid=pm_opinions_pop
I’m not sure we even know what we mean by ordinary anymore. In the best sense, we mean people who go to work every day, marry and raise families, pay their bills and taxes, serve their communities and country and respect the difference between God and Caesar.
Given the gradual degradation of these institutional concepts, both voluntary and owing to external pressures, one wonders what’s ordinary about them. As a political concept, the Ordinary American has become something of a cartoon character — an undereducated, overweight bloke who holds smarty-pants elites in contempt. And, you can be sure, vice versa.

Ordinary Americans and those who court them have become unwilling participants in a cynical charade. Forcing our aspiring leaders to pretend to be ordinary, rolling up their sleeves and slugging back a (fill in the blank) at the local pub/coffee shop (but never a Starbucks), chumming with people they’ve studiously avoided all their lives, is the most ludicrous of exercises and rewards the very pandering we loathe.

In possibly the most embarrassing political ad thus far, Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour made a pitch to ordinary Americans to ante up $3 for a “New York Night” with the president and first lady, actress Sarah Jessica Parker and various others who will have paid thousands for the privilege of breaking bread together. It must be seen (http://ow.ly/bx5ZL).

Neither Obama nor Romney is remotely ordinary, needless to say. And neither is very good at faking it. Both bring substantial talents, a sterling career in Romney’s case and a smorgasbord of broadening experiences in Obama’s, including almost four years as president.

There’s no point in trying to portray Romney as an everyday kind of guy. From his lucky birth to his significant accomplishments, he is anything but ordinary. Trying to blunt his résumé to make him more “likable” — perish that trivial pursuit while we’re at it — ultimately enhances the likelihood of the opposite result.

But neither can Obama make the case that Romney is out of touch after the Wintour ad. Or in the context of his own recent remarks that “the private sector is doing fine,” despite 23 million Americans out of work or underemployed.

Retiring both the term and the idea of “ordinary” (and attendant perfidies) would be a welcome development in any random year, but especially in this one. Who, after all, wants to be ordinary — or be deemed so by the more fortunate? The ordinary American is us.
Extraordinary leadership is what we hope for.

kissing babies, overpromising, -I think I recall one candidate ( or more) eating hot dogs.
They smile and shake your hand, are "concerned" ( read out of touch) with "ordinary Americans", then hop back into their motorcade, or private jet.

I want extraordinary leadership, and attending state fairs, and eating/drinking is typical campaigns.
But these aren't ordinary times, we got a plate full of extraordinary problems.

Go ahead, use big words;-impress me with your grasp of "nuance". I want someone who can lead, who can innovate, and not follow the well trodden political path.

A politician must be popular. People like those who they perceive are like themselves. Most people are bigoted, stupid and vulgar; and so to be popular, a politician should eschew all cultural refinement as snobbish and elitist, and make himself a perfect philistine. His should be the hardy handshake and backslapping comradery among the masses; and it would be helpful to be at least proficient in kissing ugly babies.

A politician must be popular. People like those who they perceive are like themselves. Most people are bigoted, stupid and vulgar; and so to be popular, a politician should eschew all cultural refinement as snobbish and elitist, and make himself a perfect philistine. His should be the hardy handshake and backslapping comradery among the masses; and it would be helpful to be at least proficient in kissing ugly babies.
all of which helps a politician get elected, but is of no intrinsic worth.
I don't disagree with pandering, it's been shown to garnish votes, but it doesn't help anyone but the politician seeking office.

A politician must be accountable to his constituency, who are not the public but his financial backers. In this, a politician should be scrupulous to pay political debts, in kind and on time. In the final account, those who count do not credit honesty and integrity, but getting their money’s worth.

A politician must be accountable to his constituency, who are not the public but his financial backers. In this, a politician should be scrupulous to pay political debts, in kind and on time. In the final account, those who count do not credit honesty and integrity, but getting their money’s worth.

Amen brother. Sad but true.

LOL. all the while being a" man(woman) of the people". It's not easy being a corporate whore,wihilst glad handing air kisses.

I don't know how nobody told you
they bought and sold you
(While my Guitar Gently Weeps - Harrison )

A politician must be willing to sell himself. A politician is a prostitute in a business suit, and if he must be his own pimp, so much the better. Politics, while not the world’s oldest profession, is not the less honorable; and if the race can be fixed by counting tricks, betting odds are the politician will turn up trumps.

LOL. all the while being a" man(woman) of the people". It's not easy being a corporate whore,wihilst glad handing air kisses.

Politics, from the Greek word politikos, means 'of, for, or relating to citizens'. How do you persuasively portray that while whoring for the corporatocracy? Being a good politician is merely good acting.

Hey now baby, get into my big black car
Hey now baby, get into my big black car
I wanna just show you what my politics are.

I'm a political man and I practice what I preach
I'm a political man and I practice what I preach
So don't deny me baby, not while you're in my reach.

I support the left, tho' I'm leanin', leanin' to the right
I support the left, tho' I'm leanin' to the right
But I'm just not there when it's coming to a fight.
(Cream -"Politician")

A politician must not have scruples about money. To take other’s money inspires confidence in one’s constituency, for a politician who cannot be bribed, cannot be trusted. In the buying and selling of political influence, bribery adds the commercial appeal of being certain of one’s man; and a politician with a head for business will turn a good profit from selling his office many times over for there is nothing more costly than a favor.

Cheer up. Politics is not all bad. Indeed, a politician must have a good sense of junket. A politician must be willing to endure the hardships of travel to far-off places, for the game of politics is not just played in the halls of Congress, but on the golf courses of the world. A politician should not be hesitant about using corporate jets; and being a member of a fancy yacht club is an absolute must.

Cheer up. Politics is not all bad. Indeed, a politician must have a good sense of junket. A politician must be willing to endure the hardships of travel to far-off places, for the game of politics is not just played in the halls of Congress, but on the golf courses of the world. A politician should not be hesitant about using corporate jets; and being a member of a fancy yacht club is an absolute must.

Oh, the hardships.... :rofl2:

the OP is saying ( aside from our blase' dismissal) that "extraodinary" / elite / outstanding, etc. are actually what voters should be looking for.
I know the historical electoneering is to be "one of the people" - and not to dismiss those qualities -but isn' that what we really should be looking for in "leadership"?

The partisian hacks not withstanding whom seem hesitant to show anything other then empathy for the common man, are doing us a disservice.
Once we seem to clamour for. Normally one looks for extraordianry abilities i leadership positions - yet here it's derided as "out of touch".

Beats me.

the OP is saying ( aside from our blase' dismissal) that "extraodinary" / elite / outstanding, etc. are actually what voters should be looking for.
I know the historical electoneering is to be "one of the people" - and not to dismiss those qualities -but isn' that what we really should be looking for in "leadership"?

The partisian hacks not withstanding whom seem hesitant to show anything other then empathy for the common man, are doing us a disservice.
Once we seem to clamour for. Normally one looks for extraordianry abilities i leadership positions - yet here it's derided as "out of touch".

Beats me.

That's because they don't work for us.

That's because they don't work for us.
I suppose some general statement about ' ppl geting the kind of gov't they deserve' is called for here.
Maybe my imagination, but we seem to prefer the shilling for votes. Maybe that makes us feel important - or more corectly give us the delusion the plutocracy is in our best interests.
Just once i'd like to see
"I ain;t kissing no babbies, nor am i trying to buy your vote I'm simply going to outperform my opponent on the campaign trail, and in office.,
Such candidate would be buried by both the monied interests,and the voters .

I suppose some general statement about ' ppl geting the kind of gov't they deserve' is called for here.
Maybe my imagination, but we seem to prefer the shilling for votes. Maybe that makes us feel important - or more corectly give us the delusion the plutocracy is in our best interests.
Just once i'd like to see Such candidate would be buried by both the monied interests,and the voters .

The game's rigged. It's rigged by utilizing a set of rules and requirements that ensures that moneyed interests will be top priority, regardless of which party the candidate represents. And yes, the People get exactly what they deserve. An vigilant, informed populace wouldn't be so easily seduced by the marketing, branding and propaganda that passes for campaigning. We're not informed citizens. We are coerced consumers. The dumbing-down is and always has been a means to the end.

The game's rigged. It's rigged by utilizing a set of rules and requirements that ensures that moneyed interests will be top priority, regardless of which party the candidate represents. And yes, the People get exactly what they deserve. An vigilant, informed populace wouldn't be so easily seduced by the marketing, branding and propaganda that passes for campaigning. We're not informed citizens. We are coerced consumers. The dumbing-down is and always has been a means to the end.

seems to be the modus operandi throughout American history; i'm having a difficult time trying to think back ( the mind gets cloudy with age), to when we were called by our leaders to be "exceptonal" ( not to be confused with todays "American Exceptionalism").

FDR comes to mind - or JFK's inaguration speech. Yet these seem to be the exceptions to the rule.
Today's hyper-partisanship leads to <snippets> as "truth".....have you seen any campaign ads? I'm already flooded with them here (swing state).

Beyond dumbed down, i'll post some examples when i can recall, but the banality of such is already unforgetably forgetable.

Back