Roe v. Wade

Let's be honest... why was Jefferson against allowing judges to judge on constitutional basis? Because the first judge who did so was a Federalist, and Jefferson was a Democrat. Jefferson was the first blowhard partisan.

Jefferson was just one voice in the many of the founders. The supreme court has been adjudicating so long on constitutional grounds that it is rarely challanged except by the radical group that has emerged since Brown v. board of education.

I think Jefferson's view represented that of most founding fathers. Tyranny of any sort, whether it be of the majority OR minority, is a bad thing. That's why we have a three-point system of checks and balances. It's also why no branch was intended to be a final arbiter in Constitutional cases. Of course, since there is no clear, general consensus from the founding fathers, there is room for argument. But for many reasons, I tend to side with Jefferson.

Hmm....

Independent judges who don't have a political axe to grind since they dont face elections OR congress who passes the laws OR the president. Who should decide if what they're doing is constitutional... hm....

I could get into a bit about naturalization and what not, but it's going to be above this dude's head.

Hmm....

Independent judges who don't have a political axe to grind since they dont face elections OR congress who passes the laws OR the president. Who should decide if what they're doing is constitutional... hm....

I could get into a bit about naturalization and what not, but it's going to be above this dude's head.

So why not eliminate the Congress and Presidency and be ruled by an unelected dictatorship? That is apparently the society you want.

And you have the audacity to call yourself a "Democrat."

I think Jefferson's view represented that of most founding fathers. Tyranny of any sort, whether it be of the majority OR minority, is a bad thing. That's why we have a three-point system of checks and balances. It's also why no branch was intended to be a final arbiter in Constitutional cases. Of course, since there is no clear, general consensus from the founding fathers, there is room for argument. But for many reasons, I tend to side with Jefferson.

Three point system, huh?

OK, then without judicial review, what is the judges part in the system?

If you trust unelected, left-wing judges to run YOUR life, fine, but I don't.

They AREN'T running my life, they are preventing the leigislature from running my life. They are nullifying laws, not making new ones, and you hate that because you love a government that legislates the most.

Back