Ron Paul: Bailouts will lead to rough economic ride

Timshel

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/23/paul.bailout/index.html

(CNN) -- Many Americans today are asking themselves how the economy got to be in such a bad spot.

For years they thought the economy was booming, growth was up, job numbers and productivity were increasing. Yet now we find ourselves in what is shaping up to be one of the most severe economic downturns since the Great Depression.

Unfortunately, the government's preferred solution to the crisis is the very thing that got us into this mess in the first place: government intervention.

Ever since the 1930s, the federal government has involved itself deeply in housing policy and developed numerous programs to encourage homebuilding and homeownership.

Government-sponsored enterprises Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were able to obtain a monopoly position in the mortgage market, especially the mortgage-backed securities market, because of the advantages bestowed upon them by the federal government.

Laws passed by Congress such as the Community Reinvestment Act required banks to make loans to previously underserved segments of their communities, thus forcing banks to lend to people who normally would be rejected as bad credit risks.

These governmental measures, combined with the Federal Reserve's loose monetary policy, led to an unsustainable housing boom. The key measure by which the Fed caused this boom was through the manipulation of interest rates, and the open market operations that accompany this lowering.

When interest rates are lowered to below what the market rate would normally be, as the Federal Reserve has done numerous times throughout this decade, it becomes much cheaper to borrow money. Longer-term and more capital-intensive projects, projects that would be unprofitable at a high interest rate, suddenly become profitable.

Because the boom comes about from an increase in the supply of money and not from demand from consumers, the result is malinvestment, a misallocation of resources into sectors in which there is insufficient demand.

In this case, this manifested itself in overbuilding in real estate. When builders realize they have overbuilt and have too many houses to sell, too many apartments to rent, or too much commercial real estate to lease, they seek to recoup as much of their money as possible, even if it means lowering prices drastically.

This lowering of prices brings the economy back into balance, equalizing supply and demand. This economic adjustment means, however that there are some winners -- in this case, those who can again find affordable housing without the need for creative mortgage products, and some losers -- builders and other sectors connected to real estate that suffer setbacks.

The government doesn't like this, however, and undertakes measures to keep prices artificially inflated. This was why the Great Depression was as long and drawn out in this country as it was.

I am afraid that policymakers today have not learned the lesson that prices must adjust to economic reality. The bailout of Fannie and Freddie, the purchase of AIG, and the latest multi-hundred billion dollar Treasury scheme all have one thing in common: They seek to prevent the liquidation of bad debt and worthless assets at market prices, and instead try to prop up those markets and keep those assets trading at prices far in excess of what any buyer would be willing to pay.

Additionally, the government's actions encourage moral hazard of the worst sort. Now that the precedent has been set, the likelihood of financial institutions to engage in riskier investment schemes is increased, because they now know that an investment position so overextended as to threaten the stability of the financial system will result in a government bailout and purchase of worthless, illiquid assets.

Using trillions of dollars of taxpayer money to purchase illusory short-term security, the government is actually ensuring even greater instability in the financial system in the long term.

The solution to the problem is to end government meddling in the market. Government intervention leads to distortions in the market, and government reacts to each distortion by enacting new laws and regulations, which create their own distortions, and so on ad infinitum.

It is time this process is put to an end. But the government cannot just sit back idly and let the bust occur. It must actively roll back stifling laws and regulations that allowed the boom to form in the first place.

The government must divorce itself of the albatross of Fannie and Freddie, balance and drastically decrease the size of the federal budget, and reduce onerous regulations on banks and credit unions that lead to structural rigidity in the financial sector.

Until the big-government apologists realize the error of their ways, and until vocal free-market advocates act in a manner which buttresses their rhetoric, I am afraid we are headed for a rough ride.

I read that this morning.

Not bad. I tend to agree w/

am afraid that policymakers today have not learned the lesson that prices must adjust to economic reality. The bailout of Fannie and Freddie, the purchase of AIG, and the latest multi-hundred billion dollar Treasury scheme all have one thing in common: They seek to prevent the liquidation of bad debt and worthless assets at market prices, and instead try to prop up those markets and keep those assets trading at prices far in excess of what any buyer would be willing to pay.

It's like we're climbing a bit higher on the cliff before we jump off.

I've said before, and still say, we really need to let the market settle itself even if it causes some pain, if we don't we will be sorry in the future.

The root problem is that both parties are afraid of any failure, lest the other benefit.

"There can be no freedom without freedom to fail." – Eric Hoffer (1902-1983), The Ordeal of Change, 1964

makes sense. why should people who don't deserve to own a house be given some sort of reward via forced regulation.

The root problem is that both parties are afraid of any failure, lest the other benefit.

"There can be no freedom without freedom to fail." – Eric Hoffer (1902-1983), The Ordeal of Change, 1964

Mental midgets want America to follow the lead of Japan in the 90's and enter two decades of economic stagnation.

Mental midgets want America to follow the lead of Japan in the 90's and enter two decades of economic stagnation.

i think its a good possibility. Harvard guy i work with from the old school (gores class) thinks gonna be 5-7% avg in equities for next 10years. some years sure 15% others 0%. His point is days of double digit 20% returns gone until baby boomers die off.

I am not sure there is any way around it at this point.

I think it is best to treat this as a natural disaster. Take our lumps and rebuild in a different way. Shoring up the dikes will not help.

I am not sure there is any way around it at this point.

I think it is best to treat this as a natural disaster. Take our lumps and rebuild in a different way. Shoring up the dikes will not help.

I think your idiotic comparison has nothing to do with reality.

The economic situation in Japan could have been prevented. But the banks in Japan decided that free market idiocy was best, and they've been rewarded by no longer being a major world economic power.

WM you are so fucking dumb on economic issues I cannot even read your posts.

Buy some stock, play the market for a while then get back to us.

You know who knows a lot about economics?

Alan Greenspan and Ben Bernanke. They actually have degree's in it. They support this plan.

Compare to Epicurus, who's qualification is that he read "Wealth of Nations", Dano, who reads Limbaugh and other right wing hack books, and RS, who read some shit from the pseudo-scientific Austrian school and considers himself a genius. Our three home study economists!

I think your idiotic comparison has nothing to do with reality.

The economic situation in Japan could have been prevented. But the banks in Japan decided that free market idiocy was best, and they've been rewarded by no longer being a major world economic power.

NO that is a LIE or you did not read what my link. They did everything they could to AVOID letting a free market correct things.

"Japan also gave its economy a big fiscal boost. The cyclically adjusted budget deficit (which excludes the automatic impact of slower growth on tax revenues) increased by an annual average of 1.8% of GDP in 1992 and 1993—similar to America’s budget boost this year. Japan’s monetary and fiscal stimulus did help to lift the economy. After a recession in 1993-94, GDP was growing at an annual rate of around 2.5% by 1995. But deflation also emerged that year, pushing up real interest rates and increasing the real burden of debt. It was from here on that Japan made its biggest policy mistakes. In 1997 the government raised its consumption tax to try to slim its budget deficit. And with interest rates close to zero, the BoJ insisted that there was nothing more it could do. Only much later did it start to print lots of money."
http://www.economist.com/finance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11964819

And just like most people warning on here about the bailout, it produced good short term results and stagnation in the long term.
For God sakes man, you can't just keep trying to wing historical revisionism and pass it off like confident facts because you are smart, think the board knows it because of how you sound, but too damn lazy to read even short articles. I'm not going to let you slander Capitalism and free markets by blaming negative results from an activist government on them.

Back